Extremely trivial bandmate annoyances.

BATCAT

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually, no. The piano is a percussion instrument because it has hammers that hit strings. An organ isn't a percussion instrument, nor is any synth. Yeah, you can get more bark by hitting a velocity-sensitive synth harder with your hand, but you can do the same thing with a guitar. Which isn't a percussion instrument either.

Just sayin'. Not that it really matters. Carry on.

The hammond has a has a percussion feature to it. Guitar has a percussion aspect to it as well. I guess it all comes down you how you look it it. I do find most synths a little lacking in that feature do to the fact that many have what I call toy like action. stage pianos have hammer action but no strings. I guess it all depends on how you look at it. Like you say it doesnt really matter. You either feel it or you dont. Its about the touch of the player.

• Members

Another pet peeve, that tune down or up a half a step or whatever it's called and having to do it every other song cause it has to be adjusted to the singers ability to sing the tune.

I have never seen that. I've seen tuning down a half step for ALL the songs to make it easier on a singer doing several hours, but other than a quick tune to drop-d and back, never have I seen it happen between songs.

I'm sorry, I would not tolerate such nonsense.

• Members

I work with a guy occasionally who has an aversion to tuning. The first song will be so far out that it's obvious, so then we have to wait while he tunes up before the second song. Sometimes he'll want to tune to another instrument instead of using a tuner, which is always a no-no for this guy, he needs the tuner. It's a real buzzkill to say the least. It's always struck me as strange - he's a good enough player, so why would someone that can play not want to be in tune? I've always suspected he's not sure how to use the tuner and is embarrased to ask.

• Members

I have a bandmate that is particularly tall (6'5") that runs around onstage like a raging elephant - but that doesn't bother me too much, just makes him look stupid. What I don't like is how he has to have his mic stand further forward than anyone else in the band. Numerous times audience members have pointed out how he looms over our singer (who's only 5'8") whenever he goes near his mic stand. The other annoy thing that he regularly does is want to come over to my side of the stage and use my mic (which is behind my pedalboard) when I need to change effects

• Members

Wow...oddly finding myself on the opposite side of usual thought here, but...

By this logic, an eDrum is not really a drum, but instead is closer to an organ and/or synth...?

:confused:

Wrong tack. This debate is about the definition of the term percussion, NOT your in-informed invective regarding a system of logic you clearly have not studied to any appreciable measure.

One definition, found in multiple reputable dictionaries, is:

1.*the striking of one body against another with some sharpness; impact; blow.

I report: you decide. Carry on blessed pedant, carry on...

Speakest thou Boole, oh logician? then come: let us dine at the table. The algebra is simple as a logician of your stature must well know...

• Members

Makes sense to me . . . . (I love how some of us are able to hijack a thread and turn it into a keyboard discussion. Once a month seems about right. ;) )

In the context of this thread, I know that some bands find a keyboard players percussive tendencies to be somewhat annoying while others think it's just great. Speaks to the flexibility of the instrument and how it can be legitimately used in many different ways.

Regarding minor annoyances . . . . I don't want to come off like a jerk, but I don't understand how many of you can put up with such egotistical behavior. Yeah, it's a hobby for most of us, but why does that lead to so little consideration for their band mates?

The "real estate" question - guys getting to the gig early and carving out their personal space - I never experienced that back in the day, but it seems quite common now. What's going on??

• Members

Wrong tack. This debate is about the definition of the term percussion, NOT your in-informed invective regarding a system of logic you clearly have not studied to any appreciable measure.

One definition, found in multiple reputable dictionaries, is:

I report: you decide. Carry on blessed pedant, carry on...

Speakest thou Boole, oh logician? then come: let us dine at the table. The algebra is simple as a logician of your stature must well know...

Get your fill of feeling big with that post because ou used some mpressive words?

Good.

Please return to whatever rock you've been hiding under since your last musical endeavor got wise and jettisoned you...

Oh, never mind; I see you've got a couple auditions lined up, so the next round of that cycle is surely not far off.

• Members

My biggest annoyance is noodling between songs, or even between sets or before/after gig.

This includes drummers who bang away on their drums for seemingly forever as the band sets up. It is beyond me how these noodlers/bangers don't see how totally unprofessional is such behavior.

• Members

My last gig, we were playing a new venue outside on a large patio with a wooden stage about 3 feet off the ground. I play trombone, and the trumpet player and I showed up after most of the setup had occurred. When we arrived, we were told that there wasn't enough room on the stage(maybe, maybe not) for us. They said we were to play off the stage in front without a mic. Our board only has 16 inputs. Ironically, our drummer had an overhead mic(which is rare) and one of vocalists had a mic for his CONGAS(we don't play latin music), which he hardly plays, and a harmonica mic which he uses on about two songs. And, he has a mic on his small amp, for the harmonica on the stage. The trumpet player believes somewhat that the vocalist has congas in a futile attempt to conceal his considerable girth. If you are counting, that is four inputs for one non-drummer musician. If we were inside, we usually don't need a mic. My wife was sitting about thirty feet from the stage and said that she could not hear the horns at all. I have been in two bands since Dec., but truthfully told this band after the gig that I would be leaving the band(4+ years) because I couldn't juggle two bands and a personal life, but would play gigs through Sept.

• Members

A traditional organ (not an electronic one) is technially a reed instrument as the sound is created by pumping air through reeds.

Ah, no - they may have a ranks of reed pipes but the "normal" pipes have no reeds:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_organ

"Organ pipes are divided into flue pipes and reed pipes according to their design and timbre. Flue pipes produce sound by forcing air through a fipple, like that of a recorder, whereas reed pipes produce sound via a beating reed, like that of a clarinet or saxophone."

• Members

Geetards facing their 133 db amp at their shin bones or my level (drummer) so my ears bleed the rest of the night. Just once I wished they'd aim it at their ears, just once, and yes turn it up once aimed at ears so their ears bleed for a change.

I'm this guy, I think. I need to stop, my bandmates are becoming you and I don't want it to escalate. What's the best way to both hear yourself (as the guitarist) and have others hear you without overpowering everything (in practice - this is not a problem live). Is there an optimum angle on the amp?

• Members

This includes drummers who bang away on their drums for seemingly forever as the band sets up. It is beyond me how these noodlers/bangers don't see how totally unprofessional is such behavior.

No doubt, just as bad (or worse) when it's the drummer hammering away at every opportunity.

• Members
Some of these might surpass "trivial"...
:o

Seriously, there's some legit issues here! :D I, for one, love your intent here on trivial things.

- The bassist in my rock cover band often plays the first few notes of a tune or a bit of a main lick right before we kick it off to make sure he's on. I call it "previewing the song," and I think it lessens the impact of that first note when the crowd thinks "Ah, THIS song!" :facepalm:

- I played with a good friend/ guitarist who's a GREAT player, but he frequently learns songs in different tunings and fingerings than necessary. For example, he tunes to drop-D to play "Inside Out" by Eve6. It always sounds fine, but the purist in me is going "What the hell, man?" :)

- I occasionally play with a classic rock band for fill-ins. We practice for free in the guitarist's house, and his dog drives me nuts. And I LOVE dogs!

- The singer of my rock cover band has booked 95% of the shows we've ever played, but despite our insistance on "give us a week off inbetween shows," he always pitched more and more gigs.
Great thread, Squiddy. :thu:

• Members

I'm this guy, I think. I need to stop, my bandmates are becoming you and I don't want it to escalate. What's the best way to both hear yourself (as the guitarist) and have others hear you without overpowering everything (in practice - this is not a problem live). Is there an optimum angle on the amp?

Yes put the amp speaker about 6 inches from your ear so you can hear your sound. It's ear level for us give or take a foot or two (unless we are on a riser). I know I had one guitar player I made him aim his at a 45 degree angle like a monitor, it lasted about ohh 5 min cause I'm sure it was too loud for him and put it back to vertical so my ears could bleed some more. There is a solution, reduce volume. Then we actually here the drums go bang and we can hear the cymbals too...and the bass dude, nice to hear the bass dude.

• Members

- The bassist in my rock cover band often plays the first few notes of a tune or a bit of a main lick right before we kick it off to make sure he's on. I call it "previewing the song," and I think it lessens the impact of that first note when the crowd thinks "Ah, THIS song!"
:facepalm:

Boy, I hate that. That's happened to me in too many of my past bands.

- I played with a good friend/ guitarist who's a GREAT player, but he frequently learns songs in different tunings and fingerings than necessary. For example, he tunes to drop-D to play "Inside Out" by Eve6. It always sounds fine, but the purist in me is going "What the hell, man?"
:)

But the question is...does he play that low D chord in the song? Or just tunes it to Drop D, but doesn't bother to play the lower note? :D

- I occasionally play with a classic rock band for fill-ins. We practice for free in the guitarist's house, and his dog drives me nuts. And I LOVE dogs!

Yep, been there too. Tried to get the guy to put the dog outside for an hour or two while we practiced in peace, but he pretty much has his life wrapped around the dog. When he closed the door to the practice room and the dog started to scratch at the door and whimper, he caved and let him back in. The dog is sniffing my crotch every other minute or otherwise just moving around. I ask him to do something, so he puts him in the dog kennel in the room, so the dog can still see him and relax. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I won't go back to practice in an environment like that where the dog's 'needs' are considered more important than my own guest comfort.

- The singer of my rock cover band has booked 95% of the shows we've ever played, but despite our insistance on "give us a week off inbetween shows," he always pitched more and more gigs.

That's why I'm leading my own band and I'm in control of the gig frequency. I found players that were fine with not playing every damn weekend. A lot of gigging musicians want to feel like they are doing this 'full-time', so they want to play every weekend. I don't like doing that. I like breaks for myself and my wife to enjoy time together and also to visit family and relatives once in a while. Although I will say the money sure is nice when we are really busy and playing a few weeks in a row! :cool:

• Members

"My wife/SO can't believe we didn't have
on the set list."

THIS!!!!!! Closely followed by, "My wife (who has been to one out of 10 shows) thought we were too loud because she couldn't talk to her friends at our last show".

Don't know what's more annoying: the comment itself or the fact that anyone who considers themselves a "musician" would actually repeat it....

• Members

pet peeve: guitar players and bass players arguing about the key and the proper notes. And # 2: Non musical guitar players that learn songs by downloading the uhhh what you guys call it, the chord patterns online? Or fret patterns? Anyway it has a term, I forget, I am a drummer only.

Archived