Extremely trivial bandmate annoyances.

BATCAT

• Members

I do hate it when women, due to their sex, feel that they SHOULDN'T HAVE TO EVER move equipment.

Well, of course it is difficult to move equipment while have sex! Duh!

Oh...wait...that's not what you meant...is it?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do hate it when women, due to their sex, feel that they SHOULDN'T HAVE TO EVER move equipment.

This must be rare though, surely? Speaking as a female drummer, it's bloody difficult enough to be taken seriously anyway, without acting like a princess. I carry my kit, in fact I get it loaded and unloaded as quickly as I can so no-one has time to offer to help (just in case they throw it around). And then I help everyone else with their gear (well, the light stuff anyway!)

• Moderators

This must be rare though, surely? Speaking as a female drummer, it's bloody difficult enough to be taken seriously anyway, without acting like a princess. I carry my kit, in fact I get it loaded and unloaded as quickly as I can so no-one has time to offer to help (just in case they throw it around). And then I help everyone else with their gear (well, the light stuff anyway!)

It's what I've been thinking as well. Once players reach a certain point, dicking around with ideas like not moving gear doesn't really happen. Because... I mean... there's always a good player who's not a dick waiting to gig in your spot. So major power plays like this... I haven't really seen it. You don't see the same kind of thing at work either... because people like having a job.

• Members

It's what I've been thinking as well. Once players reach a certain point, dicking around with ideas like not moving gear doesn't really happen. Because... I mean... there's always a good player who's not a dick waiting to gig in your spot. So major power plays like this... I haven't really seen it. You don't see the same kind of thing at work either... because people like having a job.

In context, I respectfully suggest that you probably meant to use the word "jerk" rather than "dick." (And that is not just being "pc"). Mark C.

• Moderators

In context, I respectfully suggest that you probably meant to use the word "jerk" rather than "dick." (And that is not just being "pc"). Mark C.

Do I offend? :) Or does the idea of a woman being called a dick rub you wrong? I've met both men and women who were dicks. FranE surely doesn't sound like one, she sounds cool. I hope you're kidding.

• Members
Why wife doesn't come to our gigs, but the other guys' wives do sometimes. I guess it's not reasonable to expect them to help, but at the end of the night, they're sitting around looking tired and bored and wanting to go home. It sure would be nice if they'd help carry some of the lighter stuff out to the cars. Not once has any of therm ever offered to help. Never.

My wife always helps bring in my guitars and pedalboard, sometimes a mic stand. She will sometimes help roll up cords at the end of the night too. I don't expect her to do it, but she enjoys helping me. It often results in people saying 'she's in the band' lol.

I think it even rubbed off on my ex-guitarist's girlfriend. At first, she would watch his gigs, look bored and talk with him on breaks. After a while, she started to bring in his guitar and pack up stuff too. Monkey see, monkey do, I guess. :lol:

• Members

I wouldn't ever ask a band mates' wife to ever do anything other than laugh at my jokes.

But a band mate? Who can't, ne WON'T move anything cuz she's a woman? Sorry. I don't care WHO she is. If she doesn't want to move it, then SHE needs to find someone to move it for her....not the rest of the band.

Who is getting paid the same.

I agree. In contrast to that situation, I was actually surprised the frontwoman from one of my past bands was so willing to help. She would still be in her sparkly dress and high heels, wrapping up cords and helping us carry out guitars and keyboards in ATA cases. What a sweetie. To me, it's just the thought that counts. It wasn't her stuff, but tear down sure does go a lot faster when everyone is helping move stuff out the door.

• Members

You go FranE....*internet high five*

• Members

I agree. In contrast to that situation, I was actually surprised the frontwoman from one of my past bands was so willing to help. She would still be in her sparkly dress and high heels, wrapping up cords and helping us carry out guitars and keyboards in ATA cases. What a sweetie. To me, it's just the thought that counts. It wasn't her stuff, but tear down sure does go a lot faster when everyone is helping move stuff out the door.

In virtually all of my projects - everybody has a job to do during teardown. Our approach is pretty simple - everybody packs their own instrument rig. Other than the speak cables - there are no "community cables" to coil. (In our setup - the demarcation point between PA and everybody's personal rig are the 2 drop boxes that I provide as part of the PA. Everybody is responsible for providing their own vocal and/or instrument mics along with 1 mic cable (typically a 20' run) to go from the mic to the stage box. At tear down - that makes mic cables a part of each players personal rig. Since I own the PA - I close up the AMP rack and the FOH rack. Whoever finishes up their instrument pack first (usually the bass player) rolls up the speaker cables and drops 'em in the case dedicated to them.

During the packing phase of tear down - there's really not much for "non-instrument" players to do. In my female fronted project - she basically hangs out at the front of the stage and talks to the inevitable stream of clients who want to stop and talk to the band. Her dealing with them - puts a friendly face on the band, while those of us with gear to pack can get our jobs done without seemingly being "pricky" to our audience. Once tear down gets to the "schlepp phase" - gear pretty much ceases to have ownership tied to it - and we all become just another ant in the "ant line" carrying gear out the door. Gear comes out of the venue in order of how it goes into the vehicle(s) - so we "ants" simply grab the next piece of gear needed to make "the pack" work - without regard to who owns it. The reality is that once things are packed - it's a collection of 70 lb boxes - most of which our 5' 4", 130 lb female vocalist isn't going to carry. Instead - she "mans" the door. Opening the door and shooing dawdling clients out of the way so that we "ants" can schlepp without having to negotiate an obstacle course of doors and drunks. Our female vocalist may not carry much - but she certainly helps!

• Members

Do I offend?
:)
Or does the idea of a woman being called a dick rub you wrong? I've met both men and women who were dicks. FranE surely doesn't sound like one, she sounds cool. I hope you're kidding.

I know right? What's the matter with calling a woman a dick if she is one?

• Members

Allow me to introduce myself.

I'm the guy who insists on de-tuning material a half step. Sorry, but my voice ain't getting younger and I'm not Mister Transposer Machine. I'm also the guy with poorly maintained guitars (Hey, I'm a keyboard player!), so the song I play guitar, sound nastily out of tune, exacerbated by ham fisted playing. I am the primary songwriter, but I forget my own lyrics. The backup singers try valiantly to keep up with my extemporaneous utterings, but I'm way ahead of them. I write songs that are acerbic and bizarre, thus ensuring we'll never get serious airplay and I also suck at getting gigs, promoting the band and hanging out in clubs to be part of the scene.

I can't for the life of me understand why I still get really good musicians to play with me.

• Members

Messy stages and people that forget small stuff like batteries, or cables....you start the first set and 30 seconds into the first song...oh! I need a quick second to switch the battery on my guitar...!

One more thing...tune before we are on stage ready to go into the first set!!!

Rod :)

Archived