Extremely trivial bandmate annoyances.

BATCAT

• Members

I'm this guy, I think. I need to stop, my bandmates are becoming you and I don't want it to escalate. What's the best way to both hear yourself (as the guitarist) and have others hear you without overpowering everything (in practice - this is not a problem live). Is there an optimum angle on the amp?

Just get your speaker aimed at your head. Can be done by an amp stand, putting the amp on a chair/table, angling it back against a wall, etc. Just watch out for bleed into your vocal mic if you sing.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I had a drummer that was always asking the audience to buy him drinks. I always thought that was kind of cheesy.

Other guitar player like to noodle and dial in his sound before we start playing. We'll be set up and half an hour before start time, he's up there banging out power chords. Maybe one chord to make sure everything works, but not for 10 minutes.

• Members

-Someone telling me "this is the way it is played" when if they listened to it you can clearly hear it is not how it is played.
-Guys who complain about not getting their "sound" or "tone". Good players sound good playing through just about anything.
-People who tell me to turn down when they are much louder than I am.
-I agree with the noodling between songs.
-Band mates who are pissed about something else and bring it to the gig.
-Band mates who think a 10-15 minute break is 30+ minutes.

• Members

I have 2 guitars (1 acoustic, 1 electric) and 2 small amps. So I'm not allowed near as much room. I don't care how small the venue our drummer shows up with his rack and puts every drum made in the world on it. He mics every single one. Thank God he has his own mixer. He sits-up in the middle toward the front of the stage where you have to step off-stage to get around him. The last time we played it took 2 and 1/2 hours for him to get his sound. He's a mediocre drummer at best. He got disenchanted with us and quit. Pulled our videos off You Tube and unfriended us on FB. Now he doesn't have a band and he wants to make up. No thanks. I'll keep doing my acoustic solo gigs and make twice as much as I do with any band I play with.

• Moderators

I had a singer back in the... 70's. He was 30 and we thought he was so OLD! I was 17. He had a flatulence problem. I mean, you'd be playing in a sweaty, smoky bar (I did at 17) and it would cut right through. Holy FRICK!!!!! Rick!!!!! I still remember him whining, "What?!?!?!? I have a problem! I can't do anything about it!!!!!" We started singing later that year and gave him the boot. Old guys, sheesh.

• Members

Aaaaaaaaa I want our keyboard player to buy a new keyboard. The ones she has are pretty old and just can't seem to get then set properly. Always sends a clipped chunky piano sound, and then other sounds are too quiet.

I want to suggest a controller and sound module but I have no clue what to suggest.

Well if she is not much of a gear hound (which I assume she is not), it might be better to go with "simple". I am sure there are lots of good boards that would be better than what she has.

• Members

I had a singer back in the... 70's. He was 30 and we thought he was so OLD! I was 17. He had a flatulence problem. I mean, you'd be playing in a sweaty, smoky bar (I did at 17) and it would cut right through. Holy FRICK!!!!! Rick!!!!! I still remember him whining, "What?!?!?!? I have a problem! I can't do anything about it!!!!!" We started singing later that year and gave him the boot. Old guys, sheesh.

Sounds like a gluten allergy...

• Members

No thanks. I'll keep doing my acoustic solo gigs and make twice as much as I do with any band I play with.

+1...But now I have a question. I love your "username" but you're avatar is the COMPLETE opposite of it. How about you go with this ;)

martind35.jpg

• Members

I guess you haven't seen their purses...

That reminds me, one of the girls in our dance band constantly shows up and drops her purse and other crap right in front of my amp while I'm setting up. First of all, find somewhere offstage for your crap, and second if you're not there to help set up then get the F653k off the stage until we're ready for you!

• Members

Aaaaaaaaa I want our keyboard player to buy a new keyboard. The ones she has are pretty old and just can't seem to get then set properly. Always sends a clipped chunky piano sound, and then other sounds are too quiet.

I want to suggest a controller and sound module but I have no clue what to suggest.

It's not the age of the keyboard. It's if you can get what you need out of it. Tomorrow I'm going to be playing out of a 30 year old amp. (Just like last week.) That works just fine. (Kustom 250 piggy-back guitar amp with 2x15"s and a horn)

• Moderators

It's not the age of the keyboard. It's if you can get what you need out of it. Tomorrow I'm going to be playing out of a 30 year old amp. (Just like last week.) That works just fine. (Kustom 250 piggy-back guitar amp with 2x15"s and a horn)

I think those are older than 30 years now, my friend. More like 40+...

• Members

This includes drummers who bang away on their drums for seemingly forever as the band sets up. It is beyond me how these noodlers/bangers don't see how totally unprofessional is such behavior.

I had meant that as well, did a poor job of mentioning it specifically.

We did have one drummer who would "tune" his drums for literally an hour before the gig, sometimes between songs, and would do it through the breaks. One night it just drove the singer nuts and he lost it on the dude. Drummer quit, problem solved.

• Members

We did have one drummer who would "tune" his drums for literally an hour before the gig, sometimes between songs, and would do it through the breaks. One night it just drove the singer nuts and he lost it on the dude. Drummer quit, problem solved.

At the opposite end of the extreme, I played with a drummer who had a 6 piece kit--three rack toms--who NEVER tuned his drums. The one time I sat behind his kit, I noticed that all three toms were tuned to the same pitch. So when he did the big run-down-the-toms fill, he might as well have played the everything but the floor tom bit on one of the rack toms.

• Members

That reminds me, one of the girls in our dance band constantly shows up and drops her purse and other crap right in front of my amp while I'm setting up. First of all, find somewhere offstage for your crap, and second if you're not there to help set up then get the F653k off the stage until we're ready for you!

Hmmmm maybe OT but every woman I ever slept with always left something behind....hair pins, clips, clothing, perfume, hair.......hhmmmmm I wonder if she isn't marking her territory in a mammalistic type of way? heh Did you recrut her?

• Members

I haven't finished the entire thread yet, so I apologize if this behavior was mentioned. Aside from all the OCD-like characteristics already mentioned, the thing that always irked me when playing with or watching other bands, is when the guys in the "more popular cover bands" in the area enter the bar for load in as if people should be seeking their autographs; strutting around in their rock and roll clothes, Bret Michael's bandana, etc., chains, overdoing the schmooze with the same 50 people that go to every dive they play 8x/month. Ego does play into some of what has been discussed in this thread. I guess I was wired such that when I was playing out in a band or solo I was humbled by people turning out for the tunes. So rather than playing the rockstar poser, it was all about them for taking their time to come out to see me.

• Members

I guess I was wired such that when I was playing out in a band or solo I was humbled by people turning out for the tunes. So rather than playing the rockstar poser, it was all about them for taking their time to come out to see me.

^^This

• Members

Once at a gig the drummer was constantly playing between tunes. After a lot of this nonsense I snuck behind him as he had his head down perfecting ratamacue. As he raised his arms over his head for the big flam I snatched the sticks out of his hands,and got a round of applause. Seems to have cured it.

• Members

Our lead singer/guitar player CONSTANTLY plays name that tune. Pulls a song out of his ass then says ready? we say what are you playing? rather than tell us what the song is he starts to play the beginning of the song and we have to guess the song. I'm beginning to think its because he doesn't know the names of the songs he's pulling out of his ass... It's f'ing annoying and unprofessional

Love this thread. This / ! - Singer/guitarist I worked with would walk over to the bass player and whisper in his ear, bass player would whisper back, and then singer would move back to his mic, look over at me (drummer) raise his eyebrows and nod, and expect me to count it in. I'd be going "What? What?" but by this time we all knew we couldn't leave the crowd waiting any longer so he'd just start and I'd have to join in when I could.

• Members

I am reading this right? You fired a guy for farting??

• Members

Love this thread. This / ! - Singer/guitarist I worked with would walk over to the bass player and whisper in his ear, bass player would whisper back, and then singer would move back to his mic, look over at me (drummer) raise his eyebrows and nod, and expect me to count it in. I'd be going "What? What?" but by this time we all knew we couldn't leave the crowd waiting any longer so he'd just start and I'd have to join in when I could.

That's so low pro from those two knuckleheads. Sometimes that can happen in a situation where not all of the band is on IEM's but as a regular occurance? Set list city. Sounds like you "moved on" from those two Fran...good on you.

I hate it when bandmates show up on time, with the parts learned and are tidy and respectful of the real estate....seriously, good thread everyone.

• Members

My biggest annoyance is telling people: "OK, we're back on in a couple of minutes" and THEN they decide to get a drink, take a piss and tune their guitars.

....or this guy's cousin ... the one who knows that the rest of band has made their way back to the stage after a break and are well on their way to being all strapped up and ready to go ... yet HE continues to play social butterfly and seemingly waits for a personalized invitation to get his dumb ass back to work.

• Members

I have to single out the other guitarist in my working band.. Nice guy, but quite dense.. He does bring a second guitar for his slide songs that require an open tuning, buuuuut 9 times out of 10, forgets to tune it until right before the song. Not very professional at a gig to have to sit there for 2 minutes while he tunes up. Also, he is getting older and a bit deaf, and half the time he fails to realize that he has left his boost channel on after a solo, so now there is this imbalance of sound going on. He usually looks a little confused when we hit the footswitch for him. We've finally gotten him to stop trying to engage in guitar wars by constantly turning up after the sound has been dialed in though, lol!

• Members

For me it's usually issues with bass players. In one of my bands the bass player is ALWAYS trading equipment. If he gets a good sounding rig, which he has on occasion, he won't keep it. He will trade for something else, usually something of lesser quality. For a while he didn't have an amp at all and was borrowing a bass, too, which he carried around with no case or gig bag. Right now he has a well known name brand bass but it's from their import line, and a small combo bass amp that I've never heard of. His sound is all middy and unpleasant.

How about the guys who assemble their rigs almost exclusively on price ... and then doesn't invest the time, energy and/or money to keep it in good working order. He's the guy who's always got a bad cable somewhere in his rig that's buzzing or cutting out. He's the guy who's regularly yelling "Wait a second!" when you're about to start the next tune - while he's bent over trying to get something to work. However, went the talk comes to gear - he's all about how little he payed for it.

Granted, I'm a bit of a gear whore ... and it would be unreasonable to expect everybody to be willing and/or able to spend as freely as I do. But damn, there IS a minimum quality requirement for a "professional" working rig.

Archived