playing ALONE

eyesore

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

interesting read and somewhat relevant to this discussion

Although the original phonograph was a purely acoustical/mechanical instrument, soon electric technologies improved the phonograph and spawned several other inventions which became indispensable to the fledgling recording industry. Chief among these were the microphone, amplifier, and loudspeaker. Apart from making possible electric phonograph and tape recordings (and thus giving rise to the entire consumer electronics industry), they eliminated the need for large ensembles of instruments to produce large volumes of sound necessary for many public performances. This meant the end of the symphony with its conductor as the standard musical unit. A spin-off of these technologies was the juke box, which made it possible to have music in a bar or nightclub without having to hire a band. These inventions eventually put scores of musicians out of work, and made it impossible as a practical matter for most musicians to earn a living playing in ensembles at public performances. Those that remained could not ignore recording as the key to earning wealth and fame.

plus

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Potts

View Post

I tell them every time. "Listen I have a secret- I don't have a band with me, I'm using tracks." They laugh and that's all the honesty they need.

My drummer is from China, doesn't get drunk, and keeps the beat perfectly.

I had to fire the guys in the band, they were doing drugs.... and they wouldn't give me any. ba dump dump eek.gif

• Members

View Post

I tell them every time. "Listen I have a secret- I don't have a band with me, I'm using tracks." They laugh and that's all the honesty they need.

thumb.gif

View Post

And you can't throw out "at your level and experience" comments around here without posting video or audio tracks or we'll think you suck anyway. Feel free to click away on my website for demos.

Done!

• Members

I have two gigs on Christmas Day In my Christmas set I am playing Winter Wonderland, I have the sound of sleigh bells at the start of the intro. Now I could of course go and buy some and maybe tie them to my shoe, but of course remember not to move my foot until I have untied them. But far easier to just record them and have them come from my ipad at the press of a button. First of course I will stop the whole flow of the gig to inform all of the crowd that the bells are pre recorded and not coming from bells secretly secreted about my person. And whilst at it I can tell them that I use an electric tuner rather than tune by ear as I wouldn't want to deceive them into enjoying themselves.
If people don't want to use tracks then flipping don't, if you do then flipping do. Vive la Difference.
Merry Christmas to all
Steve

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dey

View Post

Anything besides strumming ACDC?

Any requests? I have a feeling that if I posted anything else I would get similar comments like...

Another Brown eyed girl cover

Anything else besides [insert artist here]?

wink.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bajazz

View Post

Hit me! smile.gif

I'm a sucker for swagger. I watched some of your videos. I thought they were OK. The first one you posted kind of blew my hair back. But the other ones were more normal. Sweet home chicago and all that. If people here say you are below par, then I'd say that is more of their opinion of the manner by which you've conducted yourself than the actual music. Bajazz is within the bell curve of solo performers IMHO.

I kind of hate it on internet forums when people post videos and the response is more according to the guy's personality than the video itself. I have seen alot of really lame vids that were met with much encouragement because the guy who posts it is a big sweetie. I've also seen alot that were not half bad that are torn to shreds because the guys who posted them are cocky or somehow "colorful".

Archived