playing ALONE

eyesore

• Members

Time for me to bloviate! I just wanted to use that word!

Other cool, not-used-very-often words I've heard today: Svelt, Rotund.

Currently, I do not use BTs and I'm on the fence. As a solo guy I see the value that can be added by augmenting your show with tracks. On the other hand, when the BTs are not well done it can certainly detract from the performance.

I really enjoyed what Eightstring posted - great originals! That is the way to use BTs. What I've heard about in my area (when I get out, which isn't much) is far too many people that are not competent musicians, adding very bad tracks on top of something that should have stayed in the garage. Admittedly, I don't get to see many other performers because like a lot of people here I play...a lot...

You stand at the back of the bar with your arms folded, gigless, and watch me play.

This to the nth power. I get that a lot Potts. And it makes me laugh every time they come up to me: "I could blah blah blah if I wanted..." facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

One more bloviation: I guess it's time for me to add tracks to the show. I've resisted adding tracks for a long time even though I record almost every day...but all of you are collectively convincing me to do it.

Bloviate Bloviate Bloviate --- such a funny word wave.gif

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's kind of funny Chem...Im not a huge fan of tracks but I know they work well and add an energy element that can be needed at times. I will say that I have a few tracks that the quality is lacking a bit and it goes unnoticed. I really believe the trick to backing tracks is an incredibly strong vocal performance. It trumps everything else.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Potts

View Post

It's kind of funny Chem...Im not a huge fan of tracks but I know they work well and add an energy element that can be needed at times. I will say that I have a few tracks that the quality is lacking a bit and it goes unnoticed. I really believe the trick to backing tracks is an incredibly strong vocal performance. It trumps everything else.

Quoted for Truth.

And thank you, chemikool. wave.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSchizo

View Post

Don't you know that there's only ever one way to make a crowd happy as a solo performer?! And only one way to be a true musician?!

I don't know, Bajazz, I've always enjoyed your contributions here and I think you're a good guy but I have to say it makes me wonder if you have Asperger's Syndrome and just don't know it. Your strict opinions on so many topics and smug attitude about it remind me of my daughter (who has Asperger's).

I don't say that to offend you, it's just an observation. smile.gif Then again, we parents of Autistic kids tend to think everyone has Autism (like gays think everyone is gay), so... facepalm.gif

Brian V.

Posted 2 times...... So I guess you have Alzheimer, then..... smile.gif

Maybe I have Asberger, I don't know, you're the first to suggest. When it comes to my strict opinion about things... well it's my hones opinions. I know I step on toes, and the reason is do is that there is a wind of laziness blowing over the world. We want everything but aren't willing to work for it. Everyone claims that they are using loopers, autotune, backing, effects and such as tools. Few are really using those "tools" creative and artisitic, most use them b/c of lazyness and wanting to sound better than they can with their current skill. But that is MY opinion based on my observations. I have seen maybe one or two acts that DID use the tools creative. It doesn't help that major acts do backing: The example of KT Tunstall looper is lame, and limit and destroy the song. IMO.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bajazz

View Post

I can honestly say that if you are using BT for dance music, then OK, but be honest about it and admit you are a DJ playing along.

Would that be a DJ that creates his own tracks from scratch? Or would it be a DJ that can play Montgomery to Hendrix on the guitar? It's difficult to respond without coming off egotistical to this absurdity. Let's just say I can play with or without backing tracks and leave it at that.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dey

View Post

Would that be a DJ that creates his own tracks from scratch? Or would it be a DJ that can play Montgomery to Hendrix on the guitar? It's difficult to respond without coming off egotistical to this absurdity. Let's just say I can play with or without backing tracks and leave it at that.

This.

Posted in another thread in another sub-forum:

Quote Originally Posted by EightString

View Post

Setting aside all the reasons why I hate working with "musical problem children" ...

They say "variety is the spice of life" and the people who come to see me play seem to agree. It's part of my "thing" that audiences can get a taste of just about everything during the course of an evening, even original music.

So if I ever come across that mythological three-headed unicorn of a drummer, bassist (electric AND upright), and keyboard player than can, without complaint, convincingly play any of hundreds of songs from multiple genres (examples: Nat "King" Cole, Hank Williams Jr., Oingo Boingo, Jimmy Webb, Queensryche, Sam Cooke, The Commodores, Yngwie Malmsteen, Bowie, Dream Theater, Earth Wind and Fire, Deep Purple, Kansas, Sinatra, Huey Lewis, Metallica, original jazz, original progressive rock, original pop), all in one night, then I might consider going back to working with a band.

I'm not holding my breath.

• Members

View Post

Would that be a DJ that creates his own tracks from scratch? Or would it be a DJ that can play Montgomery to Hendrix on the guitar

Well, me never saw something like that.... smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bajazz

View Post

Posted 2 times...... So I guess you have Alzheimer, then..... smile.gif

smile.gif The forum was getting all weird when I posted - I didn't click twice. I hate when that happens.

Maybe I have Asberger, I don't know, you're the first to suggest. When it comes to my strict opinion about things... well it's my hones opinions. I know I step on toes, and the reason is do is that there is a wind of laziness blowing over the world. We want everything but aren't willing to work for it.

I agree with that, for sure. I think it's just the way you tend to state things that reminds me of my daughter and my brother-in-law (another Aspie)

Everyone claims that they are using loopers, autotune, backing, effects and such as tools. Few are really using those "tools" creative and artisitic, most use them b/c of lazyness and wanting to sound better than they can with their current skill. But that is MY opinion based on my observations. I have seen maybe one or two acts that DID use the tools creative. It doesn't help that major acts do backing: The example of KT Tunstall looper is lame, and limit and destroy the song. IMO.

In a lot of cases, being artistic and creative isn't the point, though. It's being able to deliver a song in a way that makes the audience enjoy it. I like it when people come up with creative ways to play songs solo with just voice and acoustic - it's one of my favorite things to do for my own enjoyment as a performer, actually, so I'm with you there - but I think that there's a place for all of it. Leslie (EightString) is one of the most talented guys we have here, and he's very creative with his backing tracks, which he puts together himself. It's all him. He may be the exception, but sadly, the crowds don't care. If you sing well, you could pretty much strum an acoustic over karaoke CDs and do really well in this business. Authenticity doesn't translate into cash, unfortunately. That's why fusion musicians starve even though they are FANTASTIC. wink.gif

Brian V.

• Members

View Post

In a lot of cases, being artistic and creative isn't the point, though. It's being able to deliver a song in a way that makes the audience enjoy it.

Agreed

View Post

Leslie (EightString) is one of the most talented guys we have here, and he's very creative with his backing tracks, which he puts together himself. It's all him.

Great! I guess he is like one of the rarereties

View Post

If you sing well, you could pretty much strum an acoustic over karaoke CDs and do really well in this business.

That's 99% of the track acts that I see.

I guess things are a bit different in my country. Fortunately for me, most people DO care if it 100% live or not. Many arrangers ask me to confirm that I don't use tracks. I also work in a music festival in my town as stage technician for some years, and tracks are very rare here. In fact the only band that I can recall using them this year came from another country and of all things a Black Metal band eek.gif

• Members

I started recording my own tracks in '86 with a drum machine, bass, synthesizer and 4 track cassette. Most solo acts back then used a drum machine and bass pedals. Since then I've pretty much kept up with technology using sequencing/audio software, and have created around 400 backing tracks. I've also put a lot of time improving them, because some of my competitors also have studios and put together killer backing tracks. That's one reason I don't like it when someone just uses karaoke tracks or inferior un-tweaked midi files. At gigs, people often ask me where I get my BT or ask about the drums.

Gotta also mention the amount of money spent on equipment, soundware and software over the years. I don't wanna be redundant because I've posted this before, but some people don't get it. There are several video and audio clips on my website below if anyone is interested. Thanks.

• Members

Hey Bob! I just watched a few videos on your site- very good man. You sound great but I'm digging your guitar playing. That's a very cool gig you have there!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dey View Post
I started recording my own tracks in '86 with a drum machine, bass, synthesizer and 4 track cassette. Most solo acts back then used a drum machine and bass pedals. Since then I've pretty much kept up with technology using sequencing/audio software, and have created around 400 backing tracks. I've also put a lot of time improving them, because some of my competitors also have studios and put together killer backing tracks. That's one reason I don't like it when someone just uses karaoke tracks or inferior un-tweaked midi files. At gigs, people often ask me where I get my BT or ask about the drums.

Gotta also mention the amount of money spent on equipment, soundware and software over the years. I don't wanna be redundant because I've posted this before, but some people don't get it. There are several video and audio clips on my website below if anyone is interested. Thanks.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by stunningbabe

View Post

Bob...you use A Tele! Wonderful!

1)Which model is yours?

2) What pedals do you use?

'92 American standard with maple fretboard. The only mod is the hipshot b-bender.

Boss compressor, tech 21 sansamp psa-1, lexicon mx200.

• Members

It's funny..I get a round a lot..Seriously..and I've only ever seen MAYBE 4-5 people using tracks anywhere. No one I personally know and I must know 100 or more solo guys around the world, uses them. I'm starting to think I live in an alternate dimension that exists so close to this one as to seem I'm in it but I'm really not...eek.gifeek.gif

• Members

View Post

I lived in Kzoo for 20 years. I have heard your name around town as a musicican. Who did you play with in town?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by sventvkg

View Post

It's funny..I get a round a lot..Seriously..and I've only ever seen MAYBE 4-5 people using tracks anywhere. No one I personally know and I must know 100 or more solo guys around the world, uses them. I'm starting to think I live in an alternate dimension that exists so close to this one as to seem I'm in it but I'm really not...eek.gifeek.gif

It's happening more and more. And I don't believe it's intended to enhance the singer songwriter dimension as much as it's getting a fuller band sound for much less than hiring a full group.

I live at the beach and honestly, the tourists don't care as long as there's noise and that it's somewhat familiar.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TIMKEYS

View Post

I lived in Kzoo for 20 years. I have heard your name around town as a musicican. Who did you play with in town?

I haven't been in a band in ages but going back in time...

Drummers - Gary Cook, Billy Ebmeyer, Bruce Richardson, Jimmy DeMott.

bass players - Bob Ort, Sam Towers, Joe Brant, Gary Vella, Scott Barker.

Keyboard players - Sandy Towers, Bill Bastian, Lynn Hanky, Kevin Gard.

Guitar Players - Ralph Ostertag, Rich Woods, Dave Kozminski, Jim Horn, Denny Parker.

Vocalists - Dave Shue, Kit Pierce, Bobby Holly.

I've also worked with some of the original members of Jr Walker & the all stars and other Battle Creek musicians. Lots of other musicians, some no longer with us, and some that have done quite well in music. Any names ring a bell?

• Members

It's funny how musicians think their listeners dont care what they are listening to. I dont know anyone my age who likes anything but just the musician, at the same time i know just as many who want to dance and if that means tracks so be it.

I actually think around the late 90's til 2000 tracks were at their height. Now with looping, and a different batch of musicians it's kind of settled down. I'm in FLA and play bar type gigs. Country club gigs playing with tracks will pay more here no doubt, but its not for me.

I live by the beach too! smile.gif

BTW: If you play in an area dominated by one-man bands with full backing tracks you can easily find a niche as the guy who just plays his guitar and sings---if you have the chops and the vocals to back it up.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by John Ellis

View Post

It's happening more and more. And I don't believe it's intended to enhance the singer songwriter dimension as much as it's getting a fuller band sound for much less than hiring a full group.

I live at the beach and honestly, the tourists don't care as long as there's noise and that it's somewhat familiar.

I totally agree and with everything being equal, If I saw that it was going that way and I were still gigging, I would adopt tracks, have a band and still play solo acoustic. All things being equal, it will again come down to who does that best job and there would be gigs galore.

• Members

View Post

'92 American standard with maple fretboard. The only mod is the hipshot b-bender.

Boss compressor, tech 21 sansamp psa-1, lexicon mx200.

The PSA-1 is a monster! The closest I can get that is with my GT2. I think that is the ultimate Analog pre-amp for Guitar!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by stunningbabe

View Post

The PSA-1 is a monster! The closest I can get that is with my GT2. I think that is the ultimate Analog pre-amp for Guitar!

Yes, it's one of the best investments I've ever made in equipment. It emulates different amps at varied levels of distortion very well.

Archived