playing ALONE

eyesore

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Potts

View Post

Bajazz...I'd have to say your arrogance is bigger than your talent.

Was that necessary?

It's not exactly the picture of humility to respond by linking to a thread you started with 2 videos of yourself. Just sayin'.**

**People say "just sayin'" when they know they are being a dick on the internet, but are trying to get away with it.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by steve mac

View Post

I have two gigs on Christmas Day In my Christmas set I am playing Winter Wonderland, I have the sound of sleigh bells at the start of the intro. Now I could of course go and buy some and maybe tie them to my shoe, but of course remember not to move my foot until I have untied them. But far easier to just record them and have them come from my ipad at the press of a button. First of course I will stop the whole flow of the gig to inform all of the crowd that the bells are pre recorded and not coming from bells secretly secreted about my person.

Steve, just shake your head vigorously when the bells start...wink.gif

• Members

View Post

Bajazz...I'd have to say your arrogance is bigger than your talent.[/url]

Yeah, I knew I would get these comments. facepalm.gif

Having posting the same video without being in an argument, I get nothing but positive remarks... tongue.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by cephus View Post
Was that necessary? It's not exactly the picture of humility to respond by linking to a thread you started with 2 videos of yourself. Just sayin'.**

**People say "just sayin'" when they know they are being a dick on the internet, but are trying to get away with it.
Ummm. there's about 30 other videos in that thread. I can't help it if mine were first. You call me out but this young man comes in here spouting like he's the second coming ragging on people that use tracks and telling us how perfectly he plays?

• Members

The thing is Bajazz is accusing those that use tracks of being inferior when all he is doing is strumming open chords. Anyone playing with or without tracks should be capable of doing more unless they're a newbie. Leslie (8 String) would play and sing circles around him but this is the reply Leslie gets after saying he sometimes plays without tracks.

EightString

I also do it to show any haters in the audience that I'm not dependent on my backing to entertain people.

Bajazz

If you truly were, you wouldn't be using them.

We've got solo acts here that prove backing tracks can be an enhancement even if they aren't needed. So I still need to see a vid of a somewhat accomplished guitarist or say get off the stage.

• Moderators

let's all step back to neutral corners for a moment. wave.gif

everyone is entitled to their opinion...but I insist that we maintain a level of professionalism and respect in here, or it all goes down the sewer real quick.

So lets agree to disagree.

There are people who feel their performance does not require enhancement, and there a people who feel they put on a better show by using backing tracks.

Not everyone performs to the same level, not everyone performs in the same town, same venues, to the same audiences, and I know that audiences vary from room to room, town to town, state to state.

we need to keep this civil, reasonable and pleasant...

thank you,

The Management

smile.gif

• Members

View Post

Ummm. there's about 30 other videos in that thread. I can't help it if mine were first. You call me out but this young man comes in here spouting like he's the second coming ragging on people that use tracks and telling us how perfectly he plays?

I know you're good. You've proven it. I was just surprised you went after bajazz.

I guess I get a kick out of eccentric people. I thought bajazz's video response was eccentric. For whatever reason I am compelled to defend eccentricity.

• Members

I can't remember that I say I play perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dey

View Post

The thing is Bajazz is accusing those that use tracks of being inferior when all he is doing is strumming open chords.

Would you fingerpick "highway to hell"?

I found it better to strum open chords to get the AC/DC energy out. I also fingerpick and hybridpick if I find that is better for the song, but somehow I don't feel that fingerpicking suits AC/DC covers..... smile.gif On most of my songs I keep a bass line over chords, and of course 6 strings will always be a limit, but that's the charm!tongue.gif

I often get accused for using playback (last time was gig last night by several people), especially on AC/DC tunes, but I don't expect anybody that disagree with me in this discussion to believe that... cool.gif

I have never said that using tracks make the songs sound inferior out of the PA. I totally agree that putting on quality tracks and playing on top of it with a electric guitar sounds more rock band autentic. When I "strum" AC/DC I have a good amount of power tru the PA and cranks up the bass so it sounds more powerful than the video were it was recorded with a camera mic.

What I do is playing covers alone with just an acoustic guitar and doing the best I can do out of it. Sometimes people ask me if I use track before I play. And as I said: sometimes after.... But no one have ever told me that they missed the tracks after I started playing. Another side of the story is that I don't stand in a corner or sit on a stool playing, but run around wireless jumping on tables, sitting on the girls lap, and engaging the audience to sing along. Sometimes I dance with people on the dance floor while I play and try to make my shows intimate and personal.

If my video was "eccentric" or terrible:

I would be very glad to get some constructive critisism: vocal placement, pitch problems, guitar technique, rythm issues, anything! And no: "All of the above" is not constructive.... smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bajazz

View Post

Would you fingerpick "highway to hell"?

Good point. I would play it the same as you did but with an overdriven electric guitar. Maybe you can get a cam set up at a gig sometime. I know you've been doing this a long time so I mean no disrespect. Merry Christmas smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dey

View Post

Good point. I would play it the same as you did but with an overdriven electric guitar.

As far as I can recall, Bajazz' earlier stuff was done like that.

BTW, Sean (sventv)is a VERY fine picker and singer. Any collection of the this forum's music needs to include him (if it doesn't already) IMO.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by cephus View Post
I know you're good. You've proven it. I was just surprised you went after bajazz.

I guess I get a kick out of eccentric people. I thought bajazz's video response was eccentric. For whatever reason I am compelled to defend eccentricity.
Thank you but I really wasn't fishing for a compliment. You're right though. It was a little funny that I mentioned humility so to speak, and posted a vid of me. wink.gif

Archived