Venue wants us to use their Bose L1 system...

rodclement

• Members

Hello everyone,

We are playing tomorrow at a new venue for us, The Red Cadillac in Union, NJ. Nice enough place, very busy, and always has live music so it's a great venue for us.

Only downside is that the venue owns a Bose L1 system and we must play using it. I guess it is, what it is, and we will make the best of it.

To be honest, I have never played through one so I am kinda looking forward to it, just didn't want it to be at our first gig, in a new venue. They also have an old, very small mixer so I am bringing my own just in case, along with one VSM 200 powered monitor, again, just in case.

Since they do have live music multiple days of the week, and everyone plays through it...should be fine. Will let you guys know how it goes on Saturday.

Rod

• Members

There once was a venue that had an L1 system that was used by all acts playing there. It sounded very good once I got used to it, even with electric guitar and backing tracks. Of course the mixer settings would get way off since it was used by others. These are rather complicated systems because there are different preset settings that are numbered. Finding the best setting that optimizes the B1 bass bins is the trick. The wrong preset can sound terrible.

• Members

If they have real subwoofers (as opposed to the toy sub Bose sells w/ the L1 system), you'll likely sound adequate, if the sound techs are on their toes. If you'll be self mixing, I'd go in as early/often as you can to familiarize yourself w/ the rig.

A set my trio did at a local festival a few years ago involved us running through 2 L1 systems, with a passive mixer, and a great sound engineer, one I've worked with several times...Wendy, my bassist at that time, was VERY unhappy with what it did to her bass's tone. I wasn't crazy about it, either, having had to play through a L1 about a year previously, but got through the set w/o cursing out loud.

We got several comments from folks, who'd heard us at previous gigs, wondering what had happened to our sound ("Damn, Terry, you guys sounded like the band was coming over a transister AM radio!" and "Why weren't you playing through your good system?" was the gist of 'em). None 0of the acts liked the system very much, and since then, a conventional system has been rented.

They're OK for voice, about OK for acoustic guitar, pretty much worthless for bass, percussion or keys (their "subwoofer" would be fine for a laptop, but a 6-1/2" woofer can't move much air in a real world application).

Hope all other things go well for your gig.

• Members

Yeah...no bass module...it's ok since we are a duo with guitar and voice, no bass, and I will not bring the Cajon to keep things simple. No sound tech either, I will be fighting this battle alone. I will get there 2 hours early to make sure I get some sort of understanding of the thing!

Rod

• Members

Yeah...no bass module...it's ok since we are a duo with guitar and voice, no bass, and I will not bring the Cajon to keep things simple. No sound tech either, I will be fighting this battle alone. I will get there 2 hours early to make sure I get some sort of understanding of the thing!

Rod

I use L1s all the time for both acoustic and full band applications. Feel free to PM me if you would like some tips for a first timer.

• Members

I live nearby and have eaten there a few years back. As I recall the place then was all about hard surfaces, no carpeting. Whatever you might have to dampen the sound might be good to bring along. Wish I was in town tomorrow to catch you there. Let us know how things go.

• Members

We played in a commons room at the university where I work back in February (there's a thread about it somewhere here or on acousticguitarforum.com, if you go looking). I had never used one before, and I was able to get in there for a little while the day before to give it a test set up and figure out how best to use it (and the T1 mixer that went with it). This was for a 6 piece ethnic folk/world music ensemble. I ended up using it for acoustic guitar and vocals only. Upright bass used a combo, and clarinet, accordion, and hand percussion went au naturale. In that mid-sized room, with a quiet audience, it was outstanding and very easy to set up and use. It allowed for a perfect balance of natural and amplified sound. Wouldn't have worked if we had had to amplify everything (or maybe we'd have needed two or three of them--don't know how the drums or the bass would have been). But for lead vocal, acoustic guitar, and background vocals it was just exquisite. Wish I could afford one to use for solo gigs.

One thing to remember--try to set up a few feet in front of it. There's a sharp drop off in the quality of the "monitoring" sound when you get too close on either side of the tower. The only one in our band who couldn't hear the vocals or the guitar very well was one of our drummers who sat too close to the tower to one side. I was about 4 feet directly in front of the tower and I was enveloped with sound. Everyone else was either to my sides in front of the tower or behind us, farther to the sides than the drummer. Eveyone but the drummer either got the same enveloped feel that I did or just heard everthing perfectly well as it filled the room.

Louis

• Members

It could work in a lot of cases, and it will give you a chance to try it out.

On the other hand...I don't go out without my own PA system. I've done it before with poor results. As a guitarist plays his/her amp as well as his/her guitar, we use our PA system the same way. I have 12 inputs and use most of them for vocals, sax, guitars, flute, wind synth modules, tactile MIDI controller modules, vocals, backing tracks, etc. Each one is equalized and tweaked with care. We have the FX unit tweaked for us as well. Plus we have a sonic maximizer that colors the sound so we can't even get a feed out of our mixer that will work. But we are a special case. We carry a lot of gear for a duo and play a lot of instruments.

I hope you find the PA satisfactory to great and have a very fun and successful gig. The Bose has a decent reputation.

Let us know how you did and how you liked the Bose

Notes

• Members

Rod

Good plan, then! :thu:

• Members

I work at a large college and the Bose system is now what we use for everything but main stage stuff. I heard them with guest speakers, soloists, duets, string quartets, and (last Tuesday) a full band PLUS string quartet. They sound AMAZING. Very clear with excellent "throw." They fill up a space marvelously. Of course, having a quality sound man is always the trick.

• Members

I mixed on a Bose system ONE time so take this for what it's worth. First----------I was impressed with the detail, it did surprise me. Second-----------mixing was a BITCH, it was very difficult to raise individual levels as the perception of increase varied greatly depending where in the room you were standing. I was working with a classical symphony and the conductor was hearing a mix VERY different from what I was hearing at FOH. I think it would work OK for smaller, more compact acts but a symphony stretched across the stage was a different animal.

• Members

When I was first starting to do solo gigs, I booked a gig for $150, which was more than the $100 I crossed my fingers and hoped for. When I got there to set up, he said that I needed to use the house PA. I had no way to plug my 1/4" cable into the damned thing and was sweating bullets while setting up - no sound man, by the way. I managed to get started about 10 minutes late. Did a pretty mediocre job, which at the time was pretty good for me. After the gig went to get paid and the owner said that it cost $100 off the top to use the house PA. Made me wish I hadn't drunk $20 worth of budweiser.

• Moderators

When I was first starting to do solo gigs, I booked a gig for $150, which was more than the $100 I crossed my fingers and hoped for. When I got there to set up, he said that I needed to use the house PA. After the gig went to get paid and the owner said that it cost $100 off the top to use the house PA.

and you didn't kick him the groin? I mean...what a sleazeball...oh, wait, my bad, he was the clubowner...what a douchebag.

This is why you always check out the room before you play it if you can...

• Members

When I was first starting to do solo gigs, I booked a gig for $150, which was more than the $100 I crossed my fingers and hoped for. When I got there to set up, he said that I needed to use the house PA. I had no way to plug my 1/4" cable into the damned thing and was sweating bullets while setting up - no sound man, by the way. I managed to get started about 10 minutes late. Did a pretty mediocre job, which at the time was pretty good for me. After the gig went to get paid and the owner said that it cost $100 off the top to use the house PA. Made me wish I hadn't drunk $20 worth of budweiser.

Had a venue manager try that BS one time on me, many years ago...fortunately, he told me this as I was bringing in my system. I pulled out my copy of the contract and asked where exactly it specified that the act was required to rent their system for a $75 fee? His answer was, "It's understood!"

I told him that I would be happy to comply with the terms of the contract, and no others, or he had about an hour to hire someone else if he wanted the music to start on time, and that if I performed there that evening, I'd be using my PA for the full amount paid up front, because I was inexplicably feeling less trustful of him.

He sputtered and swore for about 10 minutes, calling me several ugly names, then, when I started heading, guitars in hand, for my truck, gave in.

Never played that venue ever again, but my life, otherwise, has been just fine... :lol:

• Members

, because I was inexplicably feeling less trustful of him.

He sputtered and swore for about 10 minutes, calling me several ugly names, then, when I started heading, guitars in hand, for my truck, gave in.

Never played that venue ever again, but my life, otherwise, has been just fine...
:lol:

:thu:

• Members

I've never heard the Bose L1 so take this word of caution with a grain of salt.

Bring a sound level meter to the gig (you can get one at Radio Shack).

If the sound level on stage is over 85db, wear ear plugs or some other hearing protection.

To me having the mains behind my head is a bad idea. I keep the stage levels under 90db by putting the mains in front of the stage and using little 15watt monitors. And I wear custom fit 15db ear plugs. This is to prevent permanent ear damage.

Insights and incites by Notes ?

• Members

If they have
real
subwoofers (as opposed to the toy sub Bose sells w/ the L1 system), you'll likely sound adequate, if the sound techs are on their toes. If you'll be self mixing, I'd go in as early/often as you can to familiarize yourself w/ the rig.

A set my trio did at a local festival a few years ago involved us running through 2 L1 systems, with a passive mixer, and a great sound engineer, one I've worked with several times...Wendy, my bassist at that time, was VERY unhappy with what it did to her bass's tone. I wasn't crazy about it, either, having had to play through a L1 about a year previously, but got through the set w/o cursing out loud.

We got several comments from folks, who'd heard us at previous gigs, wondering what had happened to our sound ("Damn, Terry, you guys sounded like the band was coming over a transister AM radio!" and "Why weren't you playing through your good system?" was the gist of 'em). None 0of the acts liked the system very much, and since then, a conventional system has been rented.

They're OK for voice, about OK for acoustic guitar, pretty much worthless for bass, percussion or keys (their "subwoofer" would be fine for a laptop, but a 6-1/2" woofer can't move much air in a real world application).

Hope all other things go well for your gig.

those Bose subs are a complete joke.

• Members

Once you get used to working with the Bose pole you can get a very good sound out of it. I used one with two of the bose subs and my stompbox would boom through 'em. When I first bought the pole I wasnt pleased with the sound because I didnt mess with it enough.

Have since sold it.

For bands I have seen one band use 3 poles and the bassplayer was going through a bass amp. It was outdoors and i was in the back of this area shouting to get above the sound. They can actually get loud.

• Members

, because I was inexplicably feeling less trustful of him.

Never played that venue ever again, but my life, otherwise, has been just fine...
:lol:

Geez, people can be real douchebags!!! These stories just freakin' suck! Damn!

:mad:

• Members

The Bose...

Can't really comment since I am not sure if the limitations in sound were due to the Bose unit, my lack of knowledge with the system, or the crappy board it was attached to...I could not change the board so the sound had an annoying hum all night, I think it wasn't the Bose, I think it came from the crappy Samsom board.

Sound wise I didn't care for it, sound seemed to fluctuate in and out and microphone technnique was useless since everytime you get away from the microphone it felt like the system tried to adjust the sound on it's own...I had to sing mouth to mic all night in order to get something...again, iy can very well be my lack of knowledge with the system overall.

I did use my monitor and am very happy I did sine it got loud in there! Overall the unit did cover the whole bar, good or bad people danced (maybe more than they should have, see my other thread). I will stick to my powered speakers.

Rod

Archived