I think I want a Les Paul…

Aljare

• Members

Morning all

Yes, so I think I’d like to get a Les Paul. I like the sound of them whenever I see them being played, and I’d like to get something I’m going to love.

However it’s not that simple is it - where do I start? What kind of LP do I want - manufactured when? With what pickups etc? Second hand? And then what’s my budget?

I know they’re not cheap, and that’s fair enough - but I’m not made of money either so not going to get ridiculous about it. I just want a really really decent guitar.

Bit naive on all this, so would welcome all friendly advice on how to formulate my approach…

Go!

M

Edited by Aljare

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Aljare said:

Morning all

Yes, so I think I’d like to get a Les Paul. I like the sound of them whenever I see them being played, and I’d like to get something I’m going to love.

However it’s not that simple is it - where do I start? What kind of LP do I want - manufactured when? With what pickups etc? Second hand? And then what’s my budget?

I know they’re not cheap, and that’s fair enough - but I’m not made of money either so not going to get ridiculous about it. I just want a really really decent guitar.

Bit naive on all this, so would welcome all friendly advice on how to formulate my approach…

Go!

M

budget will solve many questions....

Epiphone or Gibson?

• Members

As a guy who has owned and worked with several Epiphones, they are only as good as what you pay for them. They seem to just not last. They play great for a few years, and then they just seem to start playing badly. Granted, for the price you pay, they are very close to a Gibson, but in reality, there are a few cheaper Gibson Les Paul options out there, such as (not technically branded as Les Pauls but they basically are) Sonex-180s and Marauders. There are also Studios, which you can find as low as $500 used. 
I own a Sonex-180 Custom which I bought for about $1100, which I actually overpayed for, and I have had no issues with it whatsoever (people rip on those guitars so much, I have literally no idea why). 
In my opinion, Epiphone is really only worth it for beginners who plan on upgrading eventually 

Edit: side note, there are older Japanese brands that are great too, like Hondo or Electra, typically most of those will range between $300 and $800.

Edited by Aaron55

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Aljare said:

Thanks - As long as it's good quality and sounds great, I don't really mind...

okay...so budget limit? Once we have that, we can proceed....

Have you ever tried a Lester? They can be heavy. If you are a 'bedroomer', that is not a big deal, but if you gig, they can cut a rut in your shoulder....:wave:

1 hour ago, Aaron55 said:

As a guy who has owned and worked with several Epiphones, they are only as good as what you pay for them. They seem to just not last. They play great for a few years, and then they just seem to start playing badly. Granted, for the price you pay, they are very close to a Gibson, but in reality, there are a few cheaper Gibson Les Paul options out there, such as (not technically branded as Les Pauls but they basically are) Sonex-180s and Marauders. There are also Studios, which you can find as low as $500 used. 
I own a Sonex-180 Custom which I bought for about $1100, which I actually overpayed for, and I have had no issues with it whatsoever (people rip on those guitars so much, I have literally no idea why). 
In my opinion, Epiphone is really only worth it for beginners who plan on upgrading eventually

Edit: side note, there are older Japanese brands that are great too, like Hondo or Electra, typically most of those will range between $300 and $800.

I put the Epiphone out there because we did not establish a budget. We also do not know many other factors, like what style music the OP plays, what kind of amp he/she has....to be fair it was unequivocally stated as a 'Les Paul', not a copy, but hopefully we can work through this.:classic_cool:

Technically, mid 60's SGs were Les Pauls....there is also the fact that Gibson has made so many variants it is not enough to want a 'Les Paul'...which 'Les Paul' is the real question.

Traditional, Studio, single cut, double cut, Custom, Standard, Historic....pre-volute, p-90s, mini-hums, pre-sandwich, pre-weight relief chambering....plain top, quilt top...gold top...

• Members

Thanks guys, yeah these are all the questions I need to be asking but don’t know enough about. I think the answer is I just need to get out there and start trying a few. I guess budget is anywhere between £1000 and £2000 for the right one, if I fall in love…

• Members

I thought I wanted a Les Paul a few times. When I turned 60 I looked at an Epiphone 56 reissue but just didn’t find any magic. I’ve played others but never felt anything special for them. Maybe some day I’ll find the right one

• Members
On 7/3/2023 at 12:51 PM, daddymack said:

. . . Have you ever tried a Lester? They can be heavy. If you are a 'bedroomer', that is not a big deal, but if you gig, they can cut a rut in your shoulder....:wave:

Never owned a LP but what's the story on chambered models? 1,000-2,000 GBP is 1,270-2,540 USD. If the OP wants a "real" i.e. Gibson LP used is his best bet.

Edited by DeepEnd

• Moderators
10 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

Never owned a LP but what's the story on chambered models? 1,000-2,000 GBP is 1,270-2,540 USD. If the OP wants a "real" i.e. Gibson LP used is his best bet.

Chambered was developed for weight relief, and many 'purists' disdain them, much like 'pancake' bodies and neck volutes. As the OP has indicated an 'upper limit' on budget, at ~$2500, we now have a ball park to play in, and yes, used will be a factor.  Even in that range, new, there are plenty of LP Studios, Traditionals, Classics and Specials. Used Deluxes and Standards may fall in that range as well.

19 hours ago, Aljare said:

Thanks guys, yeah these are all the questions I need to be asking but don’t know enough about. I think the answer is I just need to get out there and start trying a few. I guess budget is anywhere between £1000 and £2000 for the right one, if I fall in love…

Yes...you need to seriously start determining exactly what you want. Perhaps a visit to Anderton's in Guildford would be in order?

• Members

We can go on and on, and trust me, we CAN, but no matter the Paul, whether it's chambered, solid, weight relieved, 50's neck, 60's taper, Custom, Standard, Deluxe, Tribute, Studio, Custom Shop ad nauseum, the ONLY way you will fine "THE ONE" is to go play them. Make it a day trip to a good store, maybe a weekender with your significant other, and play them. Find the one that suits your ear/hand/heart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Members

The closest thing I ever had to a Les Paul was an Epiphone LP-100. I'm kind of a contrarian these days, so I feel like if I get one now I'd be more likely to get a Heritage H-150 or a vintage Yamaha Studio Lord, which came in a variety of models ranging from plain tops with bolt-on necks to more upscale versions that have more in common with a traditional Les Paul. 

All of which is to say, I'm more likely to get something is a Les Paul shape than an actual Les Paul.

• Moderators
On 7/3/2023 at 8:51 AM, Aaron55 said:

there are a few cheaper Gibson Les Paul options out there, such as (not technically branded as Les Pauls but they basically are) Sonex-180s and Marauders.

They, like most bolt-neck Gibsons, get no love from the corksniffers because they were designed as student/entry level guitars; in other words they were designed to be produced and sold cheaply in the early 80s. The faceplate covers all the non-neck routing, like early 60s Melody Makers, which reduced handling in production. The faceplate also contained all the wiring except the bridge ground lead, which also made production way less expensive.

• Members
On 7/5/2023 at 7:49 AM, daddymack said:

Chambered was developed for weight relief, and many 'purists' disdain them, much like 'pancake' bodies and neck volutes. . . .

Thanks, I was aware. I was thinking more in terms of how much weight reduction and whether it would make any real difference.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

Thanks, I was aware. I was thinking more in terms of how much weight reduction and whether it would make any real difference.

they can shave off a few pounds with the chambered body...some old solid mahogany [non-pancake] lesters could weigh 10+ lbs, but typically somewhere in the 8.5 /9.5 range. 

Newer ones can be ~7 lbs...

Customs can still go from 9.5 over 10.5

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
On 7/4/2023 at 6:31 PM, Aljare said:

Possibly the only UK dweller posting on here right now. You want to try them, as many as you can, and don't be put off by the model name if you find THE one. No idea what part of the country you're in, but find local stores that have decent used selections and go spend time with them playing through the stock. The best Gibson-made Lester I ever played was a used Studio Lite in Machine Head, and I always regretted not buying it there and then even though it seemed over-priced at the time, because I'd not played enough to realise what a gem it was.

Don't be afraid to look at non-Gibson Les Pauls either. My LP is a Tokai Love Rock that's a Japanese market only '59 replica retrofitted with burstbuckers.

• Like 1

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Ancient Mariner said:

Possibly the only UK dweller posting on here right now. You want to try them, as many as you can, and don't be put off by the model name if you find THE one. No idea what part of the country you're in, but find local stores that have decent used selections and go spend time with them playing through the stock. The best Gibson-made Lester I ever played was a used Studio Lite in Machine Head, and I always regretted not buying it there and then even though it seemed over-priced at the time, because I'd not played enough to realise what a gem it was.

Don't be afraid to look at non-Gibson Les Pauls either. My LP is a Tokai Love Rock that's a Japanese market only '59 replica retrofitted with burstbuckers.

non-Gibson Les Pauls?

I know you mean guitars designed to look like a Les Paul, but not a Gibson [including 'Orvilles and Maestros] or an Epiphone; but by any other manufacturer, it can't be a 'Les Paul'.

One of the best 'copies' I have worked on was a Navigator, built by ESP/LTD...great instruments, hard to find, like a Tokai Love Rock [I have never even seen one!].

ESP makes a good variety of LP-style guitars, too.

PRS single cuts are great too. But being unfamiliar with the UK marketplace, I hesitate to throw out names that may not be available there.

I'd guess Thomann carries plenty of LP-style instruments, and I did suggest a trip to Anderton's [no relation to our former leader] an emporium known to carry Gibson LPs in the UK...

• Members
On 8/6/2023 at 8:18 PM, daddymack said:

non-Gibson Les Pauls?

I know you mean guitars designed to look like a Les Paul, but not a Gibson [including 'Orvilles and Maestros] or an Epiphone; but by any other manufacturer, it can't be a 'Les Paul'.

I understand where you're coming from. At one time I'd have been quite purist about it, but having played a number of single-cut instruments from Gibson bearing that name and seen how much they vary in construction and quality, they seem to be a type just like a 'Strat' or 'Tele' rather than a very specific and distinct instrument. Yes, a true Les Paul will only come from Gibson because they legally own the brand, but the spirit and sound of that instrument is available from a range of different makers.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Members

If you don't mind a slim neck I'd definitely say get a Gibson Les Paul classic. I have a 50's standard and a classic, and the classic is the nicer of the two. Unfortunately I find the fatter neck of the standard more comfortable but both the guitars play beautifully but the classic has a nicer sound and with the coil splits and phase push pull pots, it's way more versatile. I love them both but if the classic had a 50's profile neck, it would be the only guitar I need. Classics are a bit cheaper than standards, I think about £1700 new.

IMG_20220627_225609_1.jpg

Edited by mustang5
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

As mentioned, there are a myriad of variables. If you want a Les Paul, I would get a Gibson. I'm not saying they're specifically better, I just know that if that's what you want, then you want be as happy. Know what kind of neck you prefer, thin or chunkier. Then start looking for good deals on used Les Paul's. Go check them out. If you like it, then get it and play it to get to know the essence of playing a Les Paul. Once you personally have your own understanding you will be in a position to find what "you" really would like and if you haven't grown attached to your used LP, and got a good deal, you will have something to include on a trade possibly for more than you paid for it. 

• Members
22 hours ago, badpenguin said:

Considering he got a 339 2 months ago, I think the point is moot now. And he never showed pictures.

My bad, when reading through the post I didn't see his purchase comment. He could still want a Les Paul unless he is one of those practical people that only have a couple of guitars at a time. 

Edited by seven58

• Members
On 10/5/2023 at 8:34 AM, mustang5 said:

If you don't mind a slim neck I'd definitely say get a Gibson Les Paul classic. I have a 50's standard and a classic, and the classic is the nicer of the two. Unfortunately I find the fatter neck of the standard more comfortable but both the guitars play beautifully but the classic has a nicer sound and with the coil splits and phase push pull pots, it's way more versatile. I love them both but if the classic had a 50's profile neck, it would be the only guitar I need. Classics are a bit cheaper than standards, I think about £1700 new.

I have a classic with the 60's neck too, and really like it. While thinner than the 50's it still feels like a thicker neck to me than most of my other guitars. I have a standard LP with the asymmetrical neck that I like. My favorite LP neck is on my double cut that has p90's.
I like the variety as the different feels bring out different styles for me as I play a particular guitar.