How's everyone doing?

• Members

I'm doing well man!  still doing sound for that church.  things are getting better sound wise, at least until i get some funding from the church to get the band into in ear monitoring.  don't have a crossover yet either, but will do that when the band goes in ears so that will free up an amp to do subs. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Did have a little be of fun yesterday. A band is starting up. Electronic drum kit. ( the levels were not set for the kit, just first time firing it up ) Bass and guitar on quality modelers.  Good players just the first time ever playing together. Here is a jam just to get things going that I recorded. My headphones must be thin on the bass side as it is a little bass heavy. Again the drums levels are not set yet so the tops and overall drum mix is what it is. Just stereo out on the drums although I noted there is 8 outs on the kit so I may go direct channel out later. 

A1.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Did my first sound gig since February 2020 in September of this year. Used my XR18 and tablet for an outdoor boat cruise. No dropouts but seeing the tablet in the bright sun was not fun. Maybe back to the MixWiz or something smaller for those outdoor gigs. Except for some duo and trio gigs, I'm not using any PA until who knows when. Contemplating pairing down some speakers, holding on to mics, boards, stands and such, and renting FOH when or if needed.

• Members
On 11/11/2021 at 1:43 AM, Shaster said:

Did my first sound gig since February 2020 in September of this year. Used my XR18 and tablet for an outdoor boat cruise. No dropouts but seeing the tablet in the bright sun was not fun. Maybe back to the MixWiz or something smaller for those outdoor gigs. Except for some duo and trio gigs, I'm not using any PA until who knows when. Contemplating pairing down some speakers, holding on to mics, boards, stands and such, and renting FOH when or if needed.

Which app did you use on the tablet? Mixing Station/Mixing Station Pro has a different screen setting that works well outside.

Doug

• Members
On 11/12/2021 at 1:26 AM, Dookietwo said:

Which app did you use on the tablet? Mixing Station/Mixing Station Pro has a different screen setting that works well outside.

Doug

I'm using Mixing Station Pro, and I'll have to check my "Theme" settings, to see if it was set to Solar Dark, or Solar Bright..... It's been so long since I used My XR18, I kinda forgot about the settings until you mentioned it. Thanks for reminding me. Gotta dust those cobwebs in my mind. Anyway, I'll report back. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Haven't posted in years here, but it is good to see some familiar faces still on the boards :).

I haven't gigged in 4 years, but am trying to get a duo setup going.  Looking to put an L R Bagg Anthem acoustic pickup in my Taylor (Gives me ebee jeebees to think about taking a drill to a $2800 instrument) and get a new Flow 8 for handling the gigs (will still keep my little ZED 10fx since it is such a great little analog mixer).

Lots of people I contact on Bandmix want me to either start a full band, or join theirs.  I think that the pandemic has left lots of musicians without a band to gig with.

Hopefully I can be gigging out by Summer (I now live in NC so "Summer" starts around Mar/April unlike Michigan where it wasn't unheard of to get snow in May).

I still have a full pa (X32 Rack, DSR112's, PRX618XLF's), but I am not going to try to do the full band thing for a bit I think.

Anyway, that's my quick catchup.

• Like 4

• Members

Glad to see a few familiar names still hanging around. Been a while since I checked in. Still alive and kicking. Our area is slowly getting more normalized, and bands are starting to see some work, but not like it was by any means. I got totally out to the sound and light business for a long time and just hung out playing guitar at home. Got bit by the bug and started playing with folks again. We haven't gotten out and booked but we will be by summer. I had sold all my gear so I have been in startup mode again. I tried it last year with some other folks, bought a decent old school all EAW, QSC Powerlight system still using the 01v96 which I refused to give up. Band broke up and left me a lot of thousands in the hole. I sold it all and said nothing big again, ever. Well, that was last year.... This year I am playing some folks and we are having a ball. We all get along and like each other. (How unusual!) Anyway, I did buy a system but it is a shadow of a real system. It is for tiny corner bar stuff where a huge crowd might be 100 people. Got a little Mackie DL1608, 2 JBL EON 615s, 2 JBL EON 618s, 4 JBL EON 610s, and 4 Shure PSM300 systems with good buds for everyone. Picked up some old school Martin scanners, maybe 20 LED cans, and a couple of movers. 20 feet of truss. Thats gonna be about it. Only things splurged on were my Westone buds and a KSM9. I miss running sound. Just got too old and feeble to do it. Still alive, but only so long to go. Stage 4 emphysema reared it's ugly head 4-5 years ago. Oxygen won't help me per pulmonologist, so no idea when my ticket punches. Anyway, had a great ride, loved coming here in it's and my heydays. Made a lot of good friends see. Know most of the folks that posted so far here. Glad you guys are still around. OneEng, don't know where you are in NC but I am in southeast VA across from Norfolk/Va Beach. Anyway, glad to touch base. Be back in a while I hope, good lord willing and creek don't rise.....as they say here.

• Like 2

• Members

My band of 25 years had our best paying year in 2021 after having only 2 gigs in 2020. Hoping this year will be great also. My band leader and a guitar player both had covid a few weeks ago. We were booked to play a gig this afternoon but had to cancel because the BL is having trouble singing. Hopefully he will get better or maybe we will be through as a band.

• Members

Howdy y'all. I really hope everyone has been keeping it together. I wouldn't expect too much activity on this forum with everything that's been going on. Lots of familiar faces in this thread! I haven't posted here in some time. 

I'm doing alright. I fell out of the live music game some years ago as I shifted careers towards IT. I was doing the occasional gig here and there as a freelance engineer. I was working as a monitor or FOH tech with a few artists but I've sold off almost all of my inventory and don't have any regular ties these days.

I lost my job at the start of the pandemic and have been working on a project which has really hurt financially but well, I suppose it could be worse. I was thinking about this place because I picked up a Genz Benz El Diablo head and cabinet last summer and I was reminded about the conversations I had with agedhorse back when he was with GB. I needed to replace an impedance selector switch and I was surprised to find out GB isn't around anymore lol

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Members

DJ'd a few outdoor weddings last summer (and one indoors). The outdoor ones were wild as people hadn't partied in a while I'm guessing. Still using the DXR8s over DXS12 MKII subs for most of my weddings, and my RCF310As for the older folks who don't like deeper bass. DXR15s for smaller weddings and KX Audio (KV2) KX12s for smaller but more vocal oriented (live sound) events. Performed (as a musician) in 2 French Christmas shows in December. At least they were paying gigs :) All in all, I am in the best shape of my life after many lifestyle changes and still love testing and comparing active speakers!

Al 

• Like 1

• Members

After the Covid shutdown, musician gigging (for me) started up again last June and has been pretty consistent since then.

Sound-gig wise was a bit spotty; one HS graduation and one 5K (in attendance) sound gig in 2021.

2022 looks to be better with a few more sound gigs scheduled......plus quite-a-few muso gigs in the books.

Let's hope that we are done with this Covid thing....

Good health to all!

Edited by Mike M
clarification
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

As noted, it’s been a long time since I’ve posted and yes it is good to see names I recognize.  My venue has actually kept music going after we got out of lockdown in May 2020.  Only allowed 50 masked ppl inside with required spacing so only did acoustic solo/duos until our summertime outdoor stage opened in late June. Even outside we couldn’t allow dancing but we did host full bands. Winter 2020-21 was back to limited folks allowed inside but since summer 2021 we’ve been partying like it’s 2019.  Sad to see this place die a slow death as I gained a lot of valuable knowledge here over the years. 

Hope everyone has a great 2023!

• Like 1

• Members

2022 is in the books and it was one of the busiest years I have had gig-wise (performing and sound tech'ing)....better than pre-Covid.  It was kinda like music/performances were "pent-up" and people let loose.

2023 looks to be decent as things are coming in & my schedule is shaping up.

I hope to God that this "covid-thing" has run its course. 

Stay safe.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • Members
On 2/4/2022 at 1:43 PM, Mogwix said:

Howdy y'all. I really hope everyone has been keeping it together. I wouldn't expect too much activity on this forum with everything that's been going on. Lots of familiar faces in this thread! I haven't posted here in some time. 

I'm doing alright. I fell out of the live music game some years ago as I shifted careers towards IT. I was doing the occasional gig here and there as a freelance engineer. I was working as a monitor or FOH tech with a few artists but I've sold off almost all of my inventory and don't have any regular ties these days.

I lost my job at the start of the pandemic and have been working on a project which has really hurt financially but well, I suppose it could be worse. I was thinking about this place because I picked up a Genz Benz El Diablo head and cabinet last summer and I was reminded about the conversations I had with agedhorse back when he was with GB. I needed to replace an impedance selector switch and I was surprised to find out GB isn't around anymore lol

A little late I know, but I have these switches in stock. While the company is "gone", those corporate entities who owned the brand set me up to continue the factory service program. 

Edited by agedhorse

• Members

For those of you old guys wondering what I've been up to, I've been working for Mesa Boogie, developing the Subway amp/cabinet line and now that Mesa is owned by Gibson, I'm also working on some Gibson projects. My second to last pro audio event client threw in the towel this year, my last one is questionable. These were two large gigs that could provide enough income to life off of... oh well.

Best place to get hold of me is at Talkbass

Edited by agedhorse
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • CMS Author

I just popped in to see if the site still exists, it’s good to see familiar names still around. I’ve completely dropped out of music: I sold off my system, even sold my Ric 4003 to my older daughter. Starting and trying to maintain a small home improvement business for the past ten years is exhausting and stressful, and just didn’t leave enough of me to do other stuff. But in 4 months god willing I become a part-time retiree, so who knows what future might be in store for me!

Be well.

• Like 1

• Members
On 6/23/2023 at 8:36 AM, Craig Vecchione said:

I just popped in to see if the site still exists, it’s good to see familiar names still around. I’ve completely dropped out of music: I sold off my system, even sold my Ric 4003 to my older daughter. Starting and trying to maintain a small home improvement business for the past ten years is exhausting and stressful, and just didn’t leave enough of me to do other stuff. But in 4 months god willing I become a part-time retiree, so who knows what future might be in store for me!

Be well.

Good to see you stop by and keeping the site going. I did retire and am home with my wife. She has stage 4 cancer so keeping close to home. Still do a small show for fun once in a while. Did one this Thursday and things went well. Please keep in touch! 

No Pressure Rocking Riverside 62223 1.JPG

No Pressure Rocking Riverside 62223 3.JPG

No Pressure Rocking Riverside 62223 7.JPG

No Pressure Rocking Riverside 62223 9.JPG

No Pressure Rocking Riverside 62223 4.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Ahhhh,,, it's SOOOO GOOOD to see  some of the forum "vets" once again,,, Andy (Aged Horse),,Craig,,, Doug(Dookie),,Al,, ,Mogwix,,, Stewart (Axis player) Glad to see you guys are still alive and kicking. All is quiet on my end, but I've still got all my Yorkville gear, and I've just been asked to do a wedding gig at our local Legion Hall. Unfortunately, I'm no "DJ", so I'll likely pass on that invite (freebie). I haven't done a gig  in many years,, since I injured my spine (stenosis in 2010), and now,,at age 75, I doubt it'll ever come back. That said; there's a little "ember/spark of interest" glowing in the darkness For a while there, I had up to 12 guys and gals dropping in to jam together,

It sure would be nice to see some consistent activity here once again. In 2023 I may be "rusty & crusty", but I know I'm happiest when music fills the air.

Be well.,

Bob

• Like 2