Single HB Wiring Help Sought...

ksl

• Members

HERE'S the right schematic & I'd like for someone to pencil in where I could insert my Push/Pull & Volume pot, instead of the Volume pictured, so I can select the North or South coil when the on/on/on is in the middle (single) position? I would assume there has to be someone who could give me proper direction with this for my SH4 project..?  Thnx!!
Thnx again!!

Screenshot_20210507-003834_Chrome.jpg

• Moderators

ksl...I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do here...are you eliminating the dpdt switch in favor of a push pull pot as the selector between coils??:idk:

I don't think that will get you what you want...but if you are using the push pull to essentially perform the same function as the switch, selecting north or south,...what is the point?:idk:

• Members

Daddymack, kindly refer to my original post to see exactly what I'm after....

"I presently have a SH4 HB connected to a simple Volume with a push/pull to take me from full HB mode, & to only the N coil... What I want is exactly what that schematic shows, a SERIES/SINGLE/PARALLEL 3-way switch, BUT to add & use my existing push/pull pot somewhere in the circuit to choose either the North or South coil when i'm in the middle single coil position of that 3-way..."

Thnx

• Members
On 5/7/2021 at 1:15 AM, ksl said:

HERE'S the right schematic & I'd like for someone to pencil in where I could insert my Push/Pull & Volume pot, instead of the Volume pictured, so I can select the North or South coil when the on/on/on is in the middle (single) position? I would assume there has to be someone who could give me proper direction with this for my SH4 project..?  Thnx!!
Thnx again!!

Screenshot_20210507-003834_Chrome.jpg

It seems to me that you’re trying to see how complicated you can make a simple guitar. 
 What do you really expect to gain by choosing between north and south coils, The south might sound good but the north poles will be too far away from the strings and are not adjustable .

• Thanks 1

• Members

Whilst an interesting technical exercise this would ultimately, IMHO, be pointless.  The two coils of a hum bucket are so close together that it would not make a great deal of difference in the tone selecting one over the other, add in the fact that the south coil (if oriented properly, i.e. screw poles towards the bridge) will be closer to the strings and adjustable for balance, then add in that a split HB almost never sounds as good as even a cheap SC and you’re well into the realms of diminishing returns.

There are Exceptions to this of course (P-rails being one) but for a standard type of HB it’s just going to be a lot of work to just try it once and say ‘meh’.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Members

As someone who has done "dada mods" (modding for modding sake) I would suggest something WAY simpler, before you go that route. A simple N/Hum/S switch, just to decide if you want that. There won't be a hell of a lot sonic differences but it will help you realize that.

1 Humbucker/1 Volume/North Coil-Humbucker-South Coil (guitarelectronics.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Members
Found it!!, & right on their site, & after being told by them that didn't have it & couldn't help... Swell folks, & I sent it along to them...
I would've eventually figured it out, but I like schematics,,,
peace all~

Screenshot_20210516-192328_Gallery.jpg

• 2 weeks later...