No laughing and pointing, ok?

badpenguin

• Members

I always wanted one of these since I was a kid-like creature. I don't know why, I have grown up in the guitar world, I have had some VERY decent guitars, and yet, these always called out to me. but damn, I had NO intention of paying those overpriced asking prices. So imagine my happiness, (And my wife's displeasure...) when I saw this in a pawn shop for under 600USD. Yep, it followed me home!~

1976 All original Gibson Marauder!

GEDC1156.thumb.JPG.072f48115dfb6ef51cddcf223dade9ed.JPG

GEDC1158.thumb.JPG.35e130f4ca76dc1eb194f28443c5e065.JPG

GEDC1159.thumb.JPG.03b38c9a48af614f91622bd31c7d5698.JPG

GEDC1160.thumb.JPG.6c4057f7a6c73c158aa3def431395cc9.JPG

Yeah, I KNOW it's one of the most hated Gibsons of all time, and yes I do understand how it's not a REAL gibby due to being a bolt on... But come on, look at it! The Lawrence pickups are wonderful! Bright, but that's what the EQ is for on the amp. It plays like Teflon coated butter! And the shape of the neck really feels nice in my hand. And... it's maple. 'nuff said.

• Members

Looks in good nick,i`d have that .I used to browse around guitar shops in `76 when i was a yung pup and yes there was plenty of weird and wonderful stuff round that time ,is that a single coil bridge pickup ,i wonder if there was a surplus of Flying V  necks round that time and they decided to give them a more useable body ,nice find.

• Members
22 minutes ago, catscurlyear said:

Looks in good nick,i`d have that .I used to browse around guitar shops in `76 when i was a yung pup and yes there was plenty of weird and wonderful stuff round that time ,is that a single coil bridge pickup ,i wonder if there was a surplus of Flying V  necks round that time and they decided to give them a more useable body ,nice find.

Yes, it's a single in the bridge. REALLY kind of bright. And yes, they had a surplus of V necks and used them for the first ones in '75.

• Moderators

The Marauder was Gibson saying to Fender,'Sure, we can make a Telecaster...we called it the Marauder...

And Fender said...'Cool...let me know when you get a celebrity endorser....bu-bye...'

The Marauder was definitely NOT the worst-ever Gibson...we may not live to see that one...but, the worst, so far, IMHO, was the Sonex

• Members
7 hours ago, daddymack said:

The Marauder was Gibson saying to Fender,'Sure, we can make a Telecaster...we called it the Marauder...

And Fender said...'Cool...let me know when you get a celebrity endorser....bu-bye...'

The Marauder was definitely NOT the worst-ever Gibson...we may not live to see that one...but, the worst, so far, IMHO, was the Sonex

Let us not forget the Firebird X of recent years.

Plus accessories, it wasn't a cheapy

Cost Henry is job too.

JC thinks more like me. He's really on track. The guitar ain't a computer.

At one time there was close too 1000 Les Pauls at the Gibson site.:facepalm:

I pity the fools that bought into the Firebird X.

• Moderators

The Firebird X at least was made of normal guitar stuff, y'know, wood...and I'm fairly certain Henry was already on the ropes before the FbX debacle.

I had forgotten to mention Gibson's other bolt on, the Marauder's 'litter mate', the S-1, which was their 'hey, we can 'kind of' make a

, too'. Lawrence designed p-ups, 3 pups...4 pos switch,

Later, Gibson would go after the 'super strat' market in the 80s. The Victory series...then the US-1, U-2, the Q series and M3/M4...

• Members

That guitar looks a heck of a lot like my English friends Colombus. His mum (not mom) got it for him in early 80's. I imagine the one he got was a copy of sorts. Same shape, nat finish, plastic covered pickups, triangle head. Sorry I don't have photo. He talked to me a while back about changing pickups... "Don't you dare!" sell to me first but just don't. I like it, lots of "mojo"

Archived