A gig near-fail that turned into a guitar project

BA.Barcolounger

• Members

Sandpaper, heat guns, Aircraft stripper... no matter what you use, poly’s a PITB to remove...

See I was able to completely strip an Ibby RG with a cheap Harbor Freight heat gun and a putty knife in about 30min.

Once it starts to bubble, you can peel off large strips.

However, heat guns are NOT recommended for nitro finishes with celluloid binding. I had a '76 Iceman burst into flames. 😜

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent crunch through my tube amp. What I like best is the volume knob roll-off.

With the volume knob at 100% it gets a great lead tone.

With the volume knob at 75% it gets a great crunchy rhythm tone.

And at 50% its clean.

And all of it with no loss in clarity.

What I like least is the behavior with the tone knob roll-off. As soon as I go below 100% on the tone knob - instant mud.

So as a result, my tone knob is always dimed.

Have you tried experimenting with different values for the tone pot and capacitor?

I suspect you're probably just using the stock parts... which are optimized for single coil pickups. Since you went to a humbucker, you might want to swap the stock (I'm assuming...) 250k pots for 500k pots. It would probably be best to replace both the volume and tone pots... the 500k pots will open up the sound quite a bit, so if you're totally digging the current sound, you can probably leave the volume pot as-is, but going to a 500k on the tone control (and playing with the cap value) will make that tone control actually useable..

• Members

I don’t doubt it... that stuff can be tough to remove.

Chemical weapons (paint remover or the like) help,

but in the end, brute force -- a belt sander with 40-

grit or 60-grit belts -- will eventually take anything

down to bare wood. If brutal use of a sander will

shape metal, what chance does a little varnish have?

• Members
I'm just glad I realized it before we got to the gig. There was nowhere anywhere near the gig to buy a guitar. There was one in Astoria' date=' Queens. 45 minutes away.[/quote']

Yeah, I've never forgotten to bring my guitar but I had a guitar almost disappear after a gig. The summer after my senior year in college the acoustic Christian group I was in played a couple of tunes at a gospel music concert. Afterward, I saw someone loading a very familiar guitar case onto another group's bus. Sure enough, it was my year-old 12-string acoustic. It's a good thing I saw it in time. I might not have gotten my guitar back.

• Members
It probably came with a .047uf cap... I’d recommend trying a .022uf instead. You can try that with the stock tone pot and see how it works first' date=' before deciding whether or not to replace the pot... it is a quick, cheap and super-easy mod.[/quote']

I have a .047uF tone cap in my bass. AFAIK it was the stock value. I'd think it would be relatively unsuited for a guitar.

• Moderators

Very cool!

I bought this Squier for $127 in Virginia Beach 4 years ago - I was visiting my parents and while there was informed that I needed to learn 26 Steely Dan tunes pronto, for a gig. It is SHOCKING how good this guitar is, completely stock. Plays great (after a setup), and sounds great both dry and plugged in. Granted, I played 7 or 8 of them till I found one that sounded good, but still...

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"20190713_161618.jpg","data-attachmentid":32551278}[/ATTACH]

20190713_161618.jpg.c4d911ab089c830474b1fbf240507d07.jpg

• Members
Yup. The stock .047uF isn't going to be a good match with the replacement humbucker.

Some folks think .047uF isn't even a particularly good match for a single coil. It depends on what you want/expect from a tone control.

• Members

Some folks think .047uF isn't even a particularly good match for a single coil. It depends on what you want/expect from a tone control.

Every single coil pickup manufacturer I know of uses and recommends .047uF capacitors.

"Some folks"? Who?

• Members

My Tele has a push/pull mod on the tone pot with different capacitors on each. It's a standard Fralin option. In normal position it cuts a lot of highs so you can get a warm jazz tone by rolling it off. The other setting has a much more subtle effect, just knocking the top end off, even when all the way down. I love that feature.

Archived