Yorkville NX Vs. QSC K Series

• Members

I am definitely not the first person to call it harsh.
Please feel free to "link" to the "other people" who've said this

If you listen to a
smoother
sounding speaker you will understand what I am referring to.

When I listened to a K-8 recently, I walked away because it had poor definition. I was also appalled at the manner in which the "DEEP" cycle coloured the vocals. I had expected (and hoped for) a shelving EQ type of response to "more naturally" extend the low-end, and which would not colour the vocals,,, but that was not the case. Vocals were noticeably veiled/masked, and that's why I walked away.

The NX55p at low volumes sounds terrific but as soon as you begin to turn it up, if you are anywhere near the speaker, it is ear fatiguing and harsh. Very in your face. I have owned about 10 different speakers, and the
only other speaker harsher than this was an old Peavey set from the mid 90's.

:rolleyes:

Seriously, the K-10 ounds a lot nicer and much more refined. The NX55 has a "honky" sound and goes into limit WAY to easy. If the 100hertz is engaged, it starts limiting so early that it is embarrassing.
My K-8 hung with a NX55 pretty well when I did a test.

it just "hung" with the NX55p??? I thought the K-10 had a kajillion watts? Thanks for clearing that one up.
:thu:

The Mixer section is better becasue it is separated between channels and it also has RCA's which are great for I-pod hookups. I also like that you can daisy chain the premix or postmix from the speaker. Very nice feature.

I have also owned a RCF 310a and it was about the complete opposite of the NX55p. Much smoother ans easier on the ears.

The NX55p has line/mic inputs with volume/bass/treble controls, and a HPF You're not "locked in" to pre-sets like "DEEP" (Thank God)
:wave:

Hopefully, others who've made the comparison can chime in, eh. ;)

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would never have characterized the NX55P's as being harsh. They're almost too smooth for me. I guess if you push any speaker hard enough it will bite back.

Anyway, I've seen too many folks think they were buying up, when they were simply buying sideways. Again, if it's working for ya, give it a rest and go on to something else - my opinion of course.

• Members

I own the NX55Ps, Art 310As and have heard the K10s. Honestly, they all sound very good with my personal favorite being the 310A on the mid and top end while the NX55P is my favorite sounding box as full range (for smaller DJ gigs) due to its very healthy bottom end for such a compact plastic box (which I dial back a little to prevent premature limiting and woofer damage). The NX55Ps is anything but harsh IMO, as has been mentionned, its mid response is actually pretty reserved, as is the Art 310As. (perhaps you were pushing it past its limit point where the sweeping filter gradually rolls off the lower frequencies?)

Neither the NX55P or 310As are harsh at all IMO. Both sound pretty hi-fi due to their lack of strong mids. As for the mixer section, the K10s may be slightly better, but not a big difference IMO. The ART's is the most limited by a long shot. I liked the K10, but did not love it. I actually found it harsher on the ears at high levels than my NX55Ps or 310As. Maybe it wasn't the best demo however...

Al

• Members

I have played in one band that had the NX 55 with the LS 700p subs and I thought they sounded great. The band I'm currently in has the QSC K12 and the K sub with the 2 12" speakers they sound great.Something you brought up one time they sounded good with one band and not so good with another,which brings me to my point I played a double header this Sat. and we hired an out side sound guy, to run sound for both bands, so we all meet at a appointed time and he shows up with what I would call old school stuff,actually, it was built by a well known sound guy around here, it was his own cabinets with Dayton speakers and Ev HI freq. Drivers. All I can say, don't ever under estimate a good sound man, it sounded as good as anything I have ever heard.

• Members

There is no need to argue. It literally took me one song to sell my NX55's over the K-10's. It is that much better. Why would I go out and spend another $1200 if I did not think the sound is better. I do gigs every weekend and I have crew that helps me out. EVERY SINGLE one of them said they noticed how much better the sound was after I upgraded. I do music playback and very little live so maybe that is why me and all the people I work with opinions are different. As I said ealrier, one of the main drawback of the NX55 was its output. It would start limiting so early it was insane. The K-10 will get louder, PERIOD.

The deep mode is what it is. I never use it as I always have a sub. The Yorkville LS720p is a step up from the K-sub.

In regards to the K-8, I said it hung meaning it was dam close. The K-10 walks the NX55p. I try not to focus on watts. I let my ears only be the judge.

• Members

To the Original Poster, do yourself a favor and listen to both in the same room, with the same material, and go back and forth. Report Back to me.

I also use the little speakers in clients homes for very small events where music playback is required. I used to use the Yorkville and when we compared the NX55p to "home speakers" just for fun, it was quite embarrassing as the NX55 obviously had better output but the home speakers were so much cleaner and better sounding.

Now, I bring the K-10 and the owners agree that the K-10 sounds every bit as good as their home speakers. He is now thinking about replacing his speakers with the K Series. LOL.

To conclude, the K-10 just sounds more like a home speaker than a PA speaker, kind of how the Yorkville U15 does.

• Members

As I said ealrier, one of the main drawback of the NX55 was its output. It would start limiting so early it was insane. The K-10 will get louder, PERIOD.

The deep mode is what it is. I never use it as I always have a sub. The Yorkville LS720p is a step up from the K-sub.

In regards to the K-8, I said it hung meaning it was dam close. The K-10 walks the NX55p. I try not to focus on watts. I let my ears only be the judge.

The NX55Ps output is much better when you engage the 100hz filter on the back. (which is what I do when I plan on using them at high levels) When you run them without the filter, they do limit early because of the strong deep bass boost Yorkville decided to include in the processing, so any modern dance music will have them limiting fairly early I will admit. Way too much of a bass boost Yorkville IMO, although it works well and sounds great at lower volumes. They should have had a flat/boost switch that let the user select if they wanted the boost in or out.

I have owned my NX55Ps for almost 5 years now and almost sold them until I did a comparison of all of my speakers in my studio and was amazed at their overall sound quality. Very few speakrs of this size actually can go down to 45hz without subs. They have served me well anyway.... Yorkville needs to put out a revised and improved version to compete with all of these new mega power high output powered cabs!

Al

• Members

Al,

They definitely need to to an update especially when one can buy a speaker like K-12or PRX612 that will outperform it all day long! As I said mentioned in my previous post, EVEN with the high pass engaged, any modern music makes them limit too early! If it is not engaged, they go into limiting extremely early... it is ridiculous. At low volumes, it is amazing! Once you want any reasonable volume, forget it! I had no choice but to engaged the 100hertz feature. They also leak a little air and have a resonating sound when playing modern dance music with the 100hertz not engaged. While they do go lower than any speaker I have owned, they don't do it at reasonable levels.... so what is the point? My K-10 does not even hit the limit light running in full range while the Yorvbille flashes yellow for long periods of time when directly comparing it.

It was an obvious choice when comparing the two plus the K-10 sounds so much more refined and hi-fi sounding. The NX55p is not bad but the K-10 is better.

• Members

They should have had a flat/boost switch that let the user select if they wanted the boost in or out.

I have a completely different point-of-view there Al. As a stand-alone box, they're very hard to beat, and extremely easy to tweak if you want less bottom-end. This characteristic makes them excellent for certain applications, especially for acoustic instruments/vocals. I'd much rather "have", than "have not".

As I see it, they satisfy both camps; and those who want it loud, simply run them over subs, like any other speaker in this category.

I have owned my NX55Ps for almost 5 years now and almost sold them until I did a comparison of all of my speakers in my studio and was amazed at their overall sound quality. Very few speakrs of this size actually can go down to 45hz without subs. They have served me well anyway.... Yorkville needs to put out a revised and improved version to compete with all of these new mega power high output powered cabs!

You mean "Mega-Powered" advertising blitz, like JBL did when they "re-invented" the PRX 5xx series? What are they now? 1200w? What about EV's ZX1a advertised as 800w, yet they still have the exact same drivers as the passive version, which is rated 200w.
:poke:

Al

I'm hangin' on to mine. :thu:

• Members

I was incredibly underwhelmed with the K12/Ksub combo. The K Sub is simply a design mistake. 14" wide sub that has a fixed length pole to help stabilize a poor design. The pole doesn't even allow the tops to get to the proper elevation for proper coverage. Just a really poor design for many uses. No way should a KSub be anywhere near dancers.

• Members

I'm hangin' on to mine.
:thu:

I'm keeping mine too. For my live performances (and small DJ gigs), they are the only cabs to give me such a full sound without subs. They generally go loud enough for most of my applications anyway. I love their full sound, but I think Yorkville put a bit too much boost at too low a frequency, since I can hear them bottom out once in a while which is not pleasant. A -6db reduction on my mixer channel bass knob helps at high levels, but still.

Lately, when I want to use them full range for bigger gigs (and don't want to carry subs), I will engage the 100hz filter and boost the bass on my mixer channels (usually +9db or so) and this gives them some nice thump while still letting them get much louder than if the 100hz was not engaged.

Anyway, suffice it to say I love my NX55Ps and they are the most often used powered speakers in my collection. They are not perfect, but once you get to know them, their limitations and how to maximize what they can do, you realize you've got very capable, reliable and nice - full sounding powered speakers.

Al

• Members

I'm keeping mine too. For my live performances (and small DJ gigs), they are the only cabs to give me such a full sound without subs. They generally go loud enough for most of my applications anyway. I love their full sound, but I think Yorkville put a bit too much boost at too low a frequency, since I can hear them bottom out once in a while which is not pleasant. A -6db reduction on my mixer channel bass knob helps at high levels, but still.

Lately, when I want to use them full range for bigger gigs (and don't want to carry subs), I will engage the 100hz filter and boost the bass on my mixer channels (usually +9db or so) and this gives them some nice thump while still letting them get much louder than if the 100hz was not engaged.

Anyway, suffice it to say I love my NX55Ps and they are the most often used powered speakers in my collection. They are not perfect, but once you get to know them, their limitations and how to maximize what they can do, you realize you've got very capable, reliable and nice - full sounding powered speakers.

Al

We obviously have two diametrically opposed views on EQ'ing the NX55p's. That might have to do with the venues I suppose and music genre, but I generally run the mixers' channel EQ "flat", then engage the HPF on the NX55p, and I still have to cut a further 3dB to suit my taste. I detest artificially boosted lows.

When I run subs, I use the same approach,,,, just enough to sound "natural". I just hate it when bottom-end gets over-used. I'm not against extreme lows mind you; but I want it tight, and VERY focused, no boom, no mud. What I hate is when someone boosts 60 HZ all to hell, just because his subs can't hit the 32Hz he's trying to get. No matter how loud you make 60Hz, it's still not going to be 32Hz, and the ear will know.(listener fatigue)

• Members

We obviously have two diametrically opposed views on EQ'ing the NX55p's. That might have to do with the venues I suppose and music genre, but I generally run the mixers' channel EQ "flat", then engage the HPF on the NX55p, and I still have to cut a further 3dB to suit my taste. I detest artificially boosted lows.

When I run subs, I use the same approach,,,, just enough to sound "natural". I just hate it when bottom-end gets over-used. I'm not against extreme lows mind you; but I want it tight, and VERY focused, no boom, no mud. What I hate is when someone boosts 60 HZ all to hell, just because his subs can't hit the 32Hz he's trying to get. No matter how loud you make 60Hz, it's still not going to be 32Hz, and the ear will know.(listener fatigue)

They sound way too whimpy and thin with the 100hz filter engaged and everything flat IMO - with music anyway.

They sound way too full with the 100hz filter not activated and everything flat.

So I either run them no filter but with a reduction in the lows on my mixer OR run them with the 100hz engaged but with a strong low freq. boost on my mixer channels.

It depends how loud I need it I guess. I do like a nice full sound in my system however. I'm not a bass freak (have you seen my tiny subs) but enjoy some thumps on the dance floor. :thu: We may just like a different type of sound...

Al

• Members

Tons of opinions and replies. thanks for really confusing me evem more . LOL Before buying this Yorkville system I owned nothing but JBL EONS...G2, G3 without a sub. I could not do a side by side of the QSC and Yorkville, but did a side by side of my EON against each individually. More bass out of the NX without a sub compared to the 15" EON. I heard the K10 with the KSub Vs the EON alone and although there was much more bass from the K ..it was not well defined or punchy as the NX sub.

It almost sounds like either keep what I got or look at the K10's with the Yorkville sub??? This should really stir it up. I also am intrigued by the PRX612 and the proper sub?

• Members

It almost sounds like either keep what I got or look at the K10's with the Yorkville sub??? This should really stir it up. I also am intrigued by the PRX612 and the proper sub?

The PRX would be the best of the bunch. If you are looking there also try the QSC KW series. These are in a higher class then the K's and NX.

• Members

Tons of opinions and replies. thanks for really confusing me evem more . LOL Before buying this Yorkville system I owned nothing but JBL EONS...G2, G3 without a sub. I could not do a side by side of the QSC and Yorkville, but did a side by side of my EON against each individually. More bass out of the NX without a sub compared to the 15" EON. I heard the K10 with the KSub Vs the EON alone and although there was much more bass from the K ..it was not well defined or punchy as the NX sub.

IMO, if you're spending hard-earned cash , at least make sure you're moving ahead, and not laterally. If a 12"/1"exit box isn't cutting it for your needs, you need to be looking horns with 2" exits and matching subs. ($$$$) Don't forget about reliability and customer/product support. Those "LONG" warranties aren't worth a hill-of-beans if the manufacturer doesn't come through for you when you need support.

• Members

So, are you saying the PRX 600 series is not a step up from the Yorkville system? I agree warranty is only as good as the company supplying it. Case in point. When I fired one of my 55's out of the box I heard this little whining noise, then a pop, then a dead speaker. Called on Monday and had a new one in my hands by Wednesday. As far as JBL ... a good friend is the authorized service guy for them here. Gotta say I never had a problem with any of my 3 sets of EONs... I play at least 50 nights a year all different rooms...but never really need to push my gear unless its a big private party. I guess I am looking at the JBL also because one of my first and better sounding systems was EV 2x12's/horn and 18" sub. Seems like a nice balance with that configuration. The nice thing about the 18" JBL's is they are only slightly larger than the 15: subs

• Members

The PRX-612 with PRX sub would "kill" the other options. It's also a bit more expensive.

Kill??? In what way Andy? I've heard the PRX 5xx series, and quite frankly, I wasn't overly impressed. It was very nice mind you, but certainly not a leap forward like an SRX series.

• Members

I agree. The new PRX would kill the NX as the KW. The PRX 5 series was better than the NX so.... one can imagine. The NX55 was great five years ago. There are much better speakers out there today.

I predict the NX55p will be updated in 2011.

Archived