Fingerpicking and the nail issue

Chordite

• Members

I play mostly with my thumbnail and also a bit of pattern and latin style simultaneous with the fingers.

Thumbnail is a tough little sod but a week of hard playing will see the corner turning white and eventually breaking

I have kinda settled on the idea of building it up with a UV hardening nail gel or possibly the superglue trick. I figure the UV risk is lower since I am just radiating the thumb not all five fingers

Either way I came across this little article which covers a lot of the bases on how fingerstylers deal with the question of how to use fingerpicks, nail extensions, acrylic, gels etc'

https://kenbonfield.wordpress.com/2014/09/26/fingers-picks-or-fake-nails-oh-my-the-dirty-little-secret-of-fingerstyle-guitar/

• Members

If the nails get too long they tend to break. There is a happy medium with nail length.

Cut them back a bit, and you can use clear nail polish to help them from not breaking. I like a little meat of the finger in my finger picking.

I met a professional stand up bass player a while back and he had calluses on the tips of his right hand that were actually kind of gross.

Try fake nails, if you must. James Taylor has them, but I knew that. He says in other articles he couldn't make through a tour without them.

If not having long nails lacks precision and attack, so be it. Tell that to Mark Knopfler. One of my favs.

Here's some close ups of him.

[video=youtube;vSU2EkTR6vI]

• Members

I'll read the article when I get a little more time, but that is an issue that I have tried to deal with for my entire playing "career". I am primarily a fingerstyle acoustic player. I don't handle a plectrum very well, I have experimented with thumb/finger picks and never adjusted to them. I try to keep three fingernails relatively long on my picking hand, the others are all cut/filed short for fretting (and I anchor my right hand pinkie). I have a special problem with my right thumb nail, if I let it grow too much it gets a little hooked edge that catches the bass strings when I play alternate bass stuff.

I file my nails regularly with both emory boards and a diamond file . I fuss over my nails a lot.

I also work with tools, dig in the garden and climb rocks - all which are really hard on my nails. I am constantly chipping or splitting or breaking one of them. When that happens I usually file them all down short and bitch a lot. Right now I have very dry skin and there are cracks on a couple of finger tips - I'm bitching about that too.

I've tried super gluing broken nails but never been happy with it. I haven't really tried tissue paper, ping pong balls, acrylic nails or any of the other things people talk about but I've been very close to going to the nail salon a couple of time. Anyway, don't really have an answer but I think every finger style player has been faced with it.

• Members

My strategy is like Mikeo - keep them from getting too long. I file them every couple of days usually.

I've currently got mine cut right back to nothing because I'm recording a bunch of keyboard and bass. Fingerstyle on guitar is still fine in terms of accuracy, but I miss being able to dial in bite as needed with the nails, especially when using pick and fingers which I do a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

thanks for putting this up i noticed it a couple of weeks back and i`ve started putting super glue on my first finger nail and it hasn`t broke at all where as before it would have cracked a couple of times and needed some filing attention , i use my first finger instead of a pick at times and it takes a lot of pounding ,so is always gonna give way and break at some point.,,, think i`ll give the acrylic nail a try because the real finger nail does lack a bit in volume up to a regular pick. cheers

• Members

I've smashed my fingers so many times, my nails don't grow right anymore. When I let them grow out, they're very brittle and break easily, as well as being very "irregular".

I fingerpick with bare fingers a lot---just use the ends of the fingers. I also use steel ProPiks quite a bit---the "F-Tone" model with cutaway openings for the pad of the finger. I can get different attacks with them. National torty plastic thumbpick.

Archived