Cool inexpensive analog synth alert...

Where's the keyboard? I can't play buttons, I need keys. Or is this simply programmed, not played? Or do you connect a KB to it with MIDI?

Oh I see. It's rows of buttons. I don't think I'd be able to play it. It looks like each button is slightly wider than a standard key so the muscle memory in my hands that knows how far apart the notes are would not work. That's why I can't play an accordion. The keys aren't the same width as piano keys.

Yes, the interface (the onboard "keyboard" and all of the buttons) are capacitive touch; the keys themselves are actually a bit smaller / closer together than normal, but they can be set for a variety of different scales. They work better than I was expecting, but you're not limited to them - you can use a MIDI controller or your DAW with the UNO too - it has both USB and 5 pin DIN MIDI I/O.

And yes, you can program it too... not only the patches (which can be edited / loaded / stored using the hardware itself or the new iOS / computer editor) but also the sequencer.

• Members

My first synth

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"586180ea1ea3b_Octave_The_Cat_Synthesizer(1).jpg.412b2c7c1d4aa932574f17583f38fe64.jpg","data-attachmentid":32329015}[/ATTACH]

which I eventually traded, along with a '63 strat, for a Norlin era Les Paul Custom MF (maple fingerboard)

back then, in the mid '70s, '50s strats were considered the valuable ones - the '60s ones not so much

• Members

Scott started the site in 1995, and left / sold it in 2005. I've been an admin here ever since he left (in 2005), so I've actually held the position for longer than Scott did.

Yes, I remember when they merged the SSSPP and shoe-horned the political content from OJ into it... beginning of the end of the golden age :(

IIRC Lee Flier was PP admin then, followed by Anderton, or was it the other way round ?

• Members
My first synth

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"586180ea1ea3b_Octave_The_Cat_Synthesizer(1).jpg.412b2c7c1d4aa932574f17583f38fe64.jpg","data-attachmentid":32329015}[/ATTACH]

I learned on one of these

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"edp_wasp.jpg?itok=L5-anlBj.jpg","data-attachmentid":32329603}[/ATTACH]

...can't believe they go for 1500 bucks + nowadays :freak:

This was my first synth...

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tsequential-circuits-pro-one.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t386.8 KB ID:\t32329814","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32329814","data-size":"full","title":"sequential-circuits-pro-one.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

The Pro One from Sequential Circuits. I wish I had never sold it... :cry:

Rumor has it that Behringer might be working on / considering doing a Eurorack clone of it, similar to the "Boog" (the Behringer Model D Minimoog clone) - if they do decide to make a "Bro-One", I'll be one of the first on the waiting list to buy it. It was a monstrous little monosynth!

• Members

Yes, I remember when they merged the SSSPP and shoe-horned the political content from OJ into it... beginning of the end of the golden age :(

IIRC Lee Flier was PP admin then, followed by Anderton, or was it the other way round ?

Did Terry D ever make it to PP as a mod, or was he strictly OJ?

• Members

ima get a Behringer Model D Minimoog clone and put its in my eurorack frame along with my mother 32 and various utility modules.

I just bought a KeyStep controller to use as a trigger for my iPad soft synths, logic instruments, and my eurorack stuff. and it will do them all simultaneously. what a great little controller for just a little over 100 bucks. its got midi/sync in and out on dins, midi in and out on micro USB, CV outs include gate pitch and mod, sync in and out on, 64 step 8 note sequencer and arpeggiator with chord play.

Did Terry D ever make it to PP as a mod, or was he strictly OJ?

My friend Lee Flier was the mod of the Political Party - both when it was first started ( over on Musicplayer.com ) and then when it first moved over here to HC. I think Craig took over moderation duties for HCPP when Lee stopped doing it. There were also a couple of other mods in between them and/or after Craig (and before me), but I don't think that Terry was one of them - As far as I can remember, he never moderated HCPP.

• Members

My friend Lee Flier was the mod of the Political Party - both when it was first started ( over on Musicplayer.com ) and then when it first moved over here to HC. I think Craig took over moderation duties for HCPP when Lee stopped doing it. There were also a couple of other mods in between them and/or after Craig (and before me), but I don't think that Terry was one of them - As far as I can remember, he never moderated HCPP.

I feel like there was somebody in between Lee and Craig? Where does hacked by Chinese figure into this mess? :D

btw, Lee was AWESOME.

ima get a Behringer Model D Minimoog clone and put its in my eurorack frame along with my mother 32 and various utility modules.

I just bought a KeyStep controller to use as a trigger for my iPad soft synths, logic instruments, and my eurorack stuff. and it will do them all simultaneously. what a great little controller for just a little over 100 bucks. its got midi/sync in and out on dins, midi in and out on micro USB, CV outs include gate pitch and mod, sync in and out on, 64 step 8 note sequencer and arpeggiator with chord play.

I picked up a Arturia KeyStep and a Beatstep Pro. I even did a review of the KeyStep... and I fully agree with you - that little controller offers a lot (including aftertouch (!) and a polyphonic sequencer - something the Beatstep Pro lacks) for a very reasonable price.

I wish they'd make a KeyStep Pro with a few added features... I'll definitely get one if they do. I have a growing little mini-synth setup that I've been experimenting with just for the fun of it that I use the two Arturia controllers with, with an old 16 voice / six part Novation Nova module, a pair of Roland Boutique JX-03's in a cute little oak stand, a Roland Boutique TR-03 Bassline, and a M-Audio Oxygen 8. For now I use Arturia iSpark running on an iPad Mini 2 for drums with that setup, but I may look into a drum machine - especially if Behringer does decide to clone the old Obie DMX, which they're rumored to be working on.

I feel like there was somebody in between Lee and Craig? Where does hacked by Chinese figure into this mess? :D

HBC was the mod in between Lee and Craig IIRC.

btw, Lee was AWESOME.

Yes she is! Lee Flier is one of my favorite people on the planet. We actually share a brain. Ask her. :D

• Members

I was about crosseyed from checking out these things 2 or 3 months ago. Right after the Berhinger Model D came out I noticed some places dropping their Moog prices and on a hunch I made a rare check of the Stupid Deal of the Day one morning and there it was...the Moog Minotaur, in white. I'd been wanting that piece for a while and jumped on it. My first analog synth. :)

(I have a Roland XP80, Yamaha RM1x, Yamaha RS7000, Yamaha SU700, and a Novation K Station.)

Shortly thereafter I added a Vermona Kick Lancet. Bass and kick are covered and the rest can be digital here. It's pretty swell to be able to put already sequenced parts thru these units, and they both sound great. And yes, several Tech 21 pedals I have from long ago are right at home with them.

It's all in how it's used I suppose. The short range sequencers that are in many of these synths including the one featured in this thread are just not something I'm much in need of.

Archived