Cool inexpensive analog synth alert...

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"unosynth-51017ffc.jpg","data-attachmentid":32328458}[/ATTACH]

I know we have some keyboardists who post here... and even a few guitarists who might be into trying out a cool synth (assuming it's not too hard to use and doesn't cost too much...) so just a FYI tip - check out the IK Multimedia UNO synth. It's a two oscillator analog monosynth. It's not a knob per function synth; instead it uses a capacitive touch panel of "buttons" laid out in a 4x4 matrix to allow four main knobs to control a broad range of functions - it's pretty quick and intuitive to use, and it comes with a built-in 16 step sequencer / arpeggiator that's surprisingly powerful (as in, just about every parameter / combo of parameters can be adjusted per sequence step). It has 5 pin MIDI I/O (on two 1/8" TRS to DIN breakout cables), USB, a capacitive touch keyboard (that works a lot better than I expected) and it can be battery or USB powered... and it sells for $199. I've been testing the synth out for about a month or so, and while I don't want to give away all the details of the upcoming review, I'm pretty surprised by how much I'm liking this thing. If you get a chance to check one out, jump on it...

Also, they released the software editor for it today, which gives you access to some features you can't access directly from the synth's hardware... iOS, Mac and PC are all supported, and it's free.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"unosyntheditorgui-202ee113.jpg","data-attachmentid":32328459}[/ATTACH]

That might be a fun thing to play around with. I might have to pick one up! :lol:

It is surprisingly feature-rich and cool sounding for such an inexpensive synth. Heck, at only two bones, it's in guitar pedal price territory. I'm pretty sure you'll feel you more than got your money's worth if you decide to pick one up. I'm having a blast with this thing!

Speaking of effects pedals, I love running synths through them. :love: Hours and hours of fun. Do any of you guys ever play around with that?

• Members
I'm a drummer, and I love analog monosynths.

I had to sell my SH-101 when I got laid off. I miss it every day.

I used to have one of those, and a SH-2 which was like a 2 oscillator version with sub bass, wicked sounding synth. In some ways I regret getting rid of my analog synths but my hearing has gone now so I can't really tell the difference between the real thing and modelling VST's anyway.

• Members

Where's the keyboard? I can't play buttons, I need keys. Or is this simply programmed, not played? Or do you connect a KB to it with MIDI?

Oh I see. It's rows of buttons. I don't think I'd be able to play it. It looks like each button is slightly wider than a standard key so the muscle memory in my hands that knows how far apart the notes are would not work. That's why I can't play an accordion. The keys aren't the same width as piano keys.

• Members
Where's the keyboard? I can't play buttons, I need keys. Or is this simply programmed, not played? Or do you connect a KB to it with MIDI?

Oh I see. It's rows of buttons. I don't think I'd be able to play it. It looks like each button is slightly wider than a standard key so the muscle memory in my hands that knows how far apart the notes are would not work. That's why I can't play an accordion. The keys aren't the same width as piano keys.

To play this synth, you'll need to:

1. Learn how to play guitar.

2. Get one of those really pricey midi guitar pickups.

3. Learn how to play each note really discretely so that you don't confuse the midi pickup.

4. Plug the midi pickup into this synth.

5. Get frustrated with it all, throw it out the window, and start banging on a drum.

• Members

I once had a Yamaha CS-5. A very early mono synth. It made some awesome sounds. I used to put it in white noise mode and play with the cutoff knob to make cool wind special effects. If you set it on the very lowest octave and turn the LFO all the way up, on the bottom note the LFO frequency would be just slightly off from the frequency of the note which made for a very strange effect.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"cbieggiufsdtcgnx7qy4.jpg","data-attachmentid":32328747}[/ATTACH]

• Members
I once had a Yamaha CS-5. A very early mono synth. It made some awesome sounds. I used to put it in white noise mode and play with the cutoff knob to make cool wind special effects. If you set it on the very lowest octave and turn the LFO all the way up, on the bottom note the LFO frequency would be just slightly off from the frequency of the note which made for a very strange effect.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"cbieggiufsdtcgnx7qy4.jpg","data-attachmentid":32328747}[/ATTACH]

Back in the rave days I spunked a stupid amount of money on a reconditioned ARP 2600 and an Akai S1100 to sample it with... wasted untold hours twiddling and didn't write a single tune worth a damn :0

Archived