will refrets be obsolete in the near future ?

mbengs1

• Members

One minor followup on my earlier post. I've been working on the SRV neck today and the latest batch of SS fretwire that I got from StewMac seems to have a wider and slightly longer tang than both the frets in the guitar and my nickle wire. I'm finding I have to do more work to prepare the slots than normal - its taking me a lot longer.

• Members
The way I'm thinking of is pouring some kind of liquid metal on the frets so they go back to the original height of the frets. Is this possible or no ? :0

3D printing might work. The fretboard would be an issue but not insurmountable.

The way I'm thinking of is pouring some kind of liquid metal on the frets so they go back to the original height of the frets. Is this possible or no ? :0

No.

Think it through:

1) Any metal you wanted to "pour" would have to be heated to its melting point.

2) The melting point of any metal that is strong enough to take string wear once it re-cools to room temperature is going to be higher than the burning temperature of wood - like the fretboard.

3.) Liquid metal flows... how are you going to constrain it to just the areas of the fret you want to fix? It's going to flow all over the place.

4) Pouring liquid metal on your guitar is a bad idea.

• Members

I have had several irreplaceable guitars refretted with stainless steel frets. One guitar that came with stainless steel frets, which I bought in 2010 has been played almost every day, and shows no signs of any fret wear.

I wouldn't worry about your guitar not playing the same as it did before you change the frets, if you get a very good luthier to do the refret. This is one place where it is better not to try to save a few dollars.

This is one of the guitars I had refretted with SS frets.

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/petersolomondesign.com\/wp-content\/plugins\/nextgen-nivoslider\/includes\/timthumb.php?zc=2&cc=&src=http:\/\/petersolomondesign.com\/wp-content\/gallery\/main-images\/1_xoxzig-zag.jpg&h=620&w=900"}[/img2]

I suggest also having the refret plekked by an experienced plek operator, who knows how to do more then a basic plek. Have the frets rolled off above the 15th fret by the plek machine, and have the nut replaced or re-cut while you are having the refret.

I just bought 2 new Gibson guitars over the holiday season. I sent them to be checked out by my luthier and the plek machine found that the fret board was not properly cut, and had high and low spots.

These guitars are now having a complete refret, including correcting the fret board, new frets, new nut, and a plek. I haven't even played them out yet.

While it may seem a bit radical to send 2 new guitars away before I even get to use them, I have come to learn not to trust specific company work to be perfect, as it should have been on a new guitar.

• Members

I don't know. I have an Ibanez JEM that I rarely use coz i'm worried about using up the frets. If I have it refretted it will change the feel so I will wait for the new way of 'refrets' to come in the mean time.

That's kind of a waste. A fret level or refret isn't rocket science. Your Ibanez probably came needing a fret level, many do from my experience. If you get it done by a competent Tech. (having the necessary ability, knowledge, or skill to do something successfully.) your Ibanez will probably turn out better than it is now. You'll just lack a few hundred dollars.

Archived