wise words about G.A.S.

t_e_l_e

• Members

I'm a bit of a world class GAS'r, and that's not brag, just sad fact. While that used to garner bragging rights here on HCEG, the culture here has wisely changed, so I don't often discuss it much in detail anymore on these boards.

And I'd say I agree with pretty much everything in that article. Where I differ though is that folks can have a few dozen guitars and still have perfectly good rationale for having collections of that size, let's face it, just about every guitar has some nuance of feel, voice and action that can make it somewhat unique and therefore desirable to be able to access for your enjoyment. And that can even come from the voice of fairly cheap guitars. If that weren't true, nobody would own Dano's. I've often said, better than blowing your bucks on hookers and crack.

But once you get above the 2 or 3 dozen guitars, they start to weigh you down physically and mentally. New guitars are fresh and exciting, guitars in a collection may beckon you, but after they are a few years old, they are calling you, but also reminding you that they won't sound great unless you first change out the crusty old strings.

I do think that "shopping and playing" are 2 different activities, they really don't compete for the same time. If anything, new guitars have inspired my continued interest in picking up a guitar to play.

I tell myself, it's still OK to look at MF's SDOTD, because maybe there will just be an itty bitty pedal there on a blow out that I've been longing for, but that can often lead to acquiring more wood.

But yeah, I essentially agree with all the points. GAS is a disease, please send me funds so I can search for the cure!

P.S. I recently pulled out my '61 RI SG and its frets had corroded. Another good reason to avoid GAS. Silver/Nickel frets will corrode if neglected. But off came the strings and the Flitz polish came out and it's looking back in fighting shape again.

• Members

I, and most importantly, my WIFE, understands the nature of my GAS. I grew up, not quite dirt poor, but close. I didn't have a lot of physical things, so when I could, I got some. After getting into playing, with borrowed equipment, managed to get a decent paying job, that supported my music "career" at the time. So I was no longer borrowing, but buying my own stuff. And when the pay from gigging surpassed the "Real Life" job, GAS reared t's beautiful, ugly, enticing all encompassing head, I RAN to her for that addicting embrace.

​The VAST majority of the 71 guitars and basses I own, were under the 250 mark, with many being around 100. I buy and flip, the profit being tossed into the GAS jar. The setup and repair work I do, goes into that same jar. Some were more in the 500-800 range, and only one passed that mental "limit" of a grand. (That was a gift from my wife). In many ways, other then the each one has it's own voice thing and the saving them from idiots, they are investments for the day that times may get tough. That's my justification for GAS.

• Members

Hmmm. All lessons I had to learn on my own. I declared myself 'sane' vis-a-vis guitars, last December 2, when I bought my last guitar. I haven't bought a new one since, so this, 9+ months, is the longest I've gone without buying a new guitar for 10 years. I had to look at the emotional reasons I was buying so many guitars, and I had to pay attention to the fact that I was driving my wife nuts. My wife is a musician, and she understands wanting nice instruments, but I put her though a fair bit, and I have to say that she is far more important to me than any guitar(s).

There were other factors, including the fact that our flat is a 1 bedroom apartment, better than avg. size, but still a problem with guitars sticking out of every corner, 6 under the bed, and so on. It gets a little oppressive, even to me.

So, since I've 'rounded out my collection,' I've really not had any GAS. I have 19, 2 basses and a bouzouki, ffs, which is plenty, and more than I thought I'd own, notwithstanding the 'rock-star fantasy collection,' which I gave up on around 23, or so.

The only 'gear' I've bought this year is strings, and 2 soft-synths for €75. I have to say that I am not terribly materialistic, although my guitar collection is the clear exception to that. I look around at what is happening in the world and I think 'wtf am I doing with all this stuff?'

It was the fulfillment of an adolescent fantasy.

Ticked off my bucket list. Now, it is time to make music with my treasure.

• Members
  • Members

I buy things I need for the band to be able to do what we do. It's counterproductive to have a lot of gear to maintain out here. Things corrode and rot, and dehumidification is an endless chore.

Having to pay for a re-fret because you didn't keep that one guitar dry enough will cure you of wanting more just to have them.

• Members
I buy things I need for the band to be able to do what we do. It's counterproductive to have a lot of gear to maintain out here. Things corrode and rot, and dehumidification is an endless chore.

Having to pay for a re-fret because you didn't keep that one guitar dry enough will cure you of wanting more just to have them.

Indeed. I was just editing my comment above and adding in that very same issue. All of mine are on the main floor of the house, but there's certainly different humidity zones. I haven't had to go to a re-fret yet, but indeed, it'll freak you out when you pull a guitar and find that.

• Members

I didn't know about an $899 deal but would love to pick up another USA G&L if that deal is still around.

I bought a NOS 2009 Centennial ASAT Special, a guitar I really wanted back when it was produced but it managed to slip through the cracks because I was buying and flipping so much junk back then.

• Members

I just like to jibber jabber about guitars ...a lot ...Is that "bad" , I don't believe "jibber jabbereing" about guitars is "bad" at all :) Actually , it's kind of fun , for me :) actually :) And then "learning" about other "players" instruments ... likes and dislikes . To me , along with being a fun place to look at guitars this is a fun place to learn a little too :) to me :) actually , learn quite a lot :)

Archived