Fender Custom Amp Series

gardo

• Members

I have the '57 Twin. I also have quite a few vintage Fender amps. I can tell you that after replacing the 12AX7s with 12AY7s and pulling out (and replacing one) rectifier it sounds as good as my old ones.

With a kit it depends on the quality of the components and the skill of the builder. There are other companies that make clones (Victoria, etc...). With this series Fender are priced about the same (or less) than some other companies and they're using great parts (Mercury transformers, Weber designed speakers - which are flat out amazing and to my knowledge not available without this amp although maybe I'm wrong).

Plus with Fender you get resale, although I'm not selling this anytime soon.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31940846[/ATTACH]

• Members
i'll say no, these classic amps are often cloned and you can get them as kit to build yourself for about a 3rd of the price including a nice tweed cabinet...

it does not say fender custom shop though

This

If I was gonna spend 2-3 grand on an amp, it sure wouldn't be a Fender.

The Champ is like a grand and a cool recording amp.

[video=youtube;jQgxTYKjlSE]

Get em all now for a buck 50.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/fender2/

• Members

In 1957 the list price for a Fender twin was $339.50 while the average American earned $3641.00 a year. According to census information a man working full time at least 50 weeks a year earned $4700.00 . The price is not so bad looking at in this context.

I still don't expect to buy one

• Members
I have the '57 Twin. I also have quite a few vintage Fender amps. I can tell you that after replacing the 12AX7s with 12AY7s and pulling out (and replacing one) rectifier it sounds as good as my old ones.

With a kit it depends on the quality of the components and the skill of the builder. There are other companies that make clones (Victoria, etc...). With this series Fender are priced about the same (or less) than some other companies and they're using great parts (Mercury transformers, Weber designed speakers - which are flat out amazing and to my knowledge not available without this amp although maybe I'm wrong).

Plus with Fender you get resale, although I'm not selling this anytime soon.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31940846[/ATTACH]

Victoria makes some killer amps. They aint' inexpensive.

• Members

I bought the 1X12 Deluxe Custom. It's definitely a great sounding amp. The one problem I have with it (unexpected) is that it gets loud way too easily. It's one of those amps where you have to micro-nudge the volume control to get the volume at a point where it's more than just a tiny trickle, but less than too loud for living room play. I'd say that's hampering the utility I thought I'd get from it. But indeed, if you want to play something like a telecaster with a bit of a boost pedal, it's hard to beat the classic tones you can get. It's versatile enough, but I would not select it for guitars that are more on the "boomy" side of the tonal spectrum. Shortly after picking up that amp I also splurged on the blow-out deal that Sweetwater had on the Marshall 1973X. It's a 2 X12. Ironically, I find I have a bit of a preference for the Marshall since it sounds a bit more sweet at a lower throttle. Anyway, with both I guess I was looking to satisfy some "hand-wired lust" I had perking. Part of me would still like to get the Champ as well, but that's a lot of money for a 1x8 amp, but at least then it would be a bit more likely I could enjoy the natural OD tones without rattling the windows.

P.S. Needless to say, I also "worked a deal" on it which helped soften the sticker shock.

• Moderators

Although I would like to have one, my amps 'earn their living', and taking a $2-4000 amp out on a club gig, or even a corporate gig, is not going to happen on my watch. Big outdoor stage, sure [but I already have a BF amp for that].

IMHO, these, like the custom shop guitars, are for the corksniffers and rock stars, not the rank and file working musicians like me.

• Members

You probably have a linear pot in the volume control. You could simply get is swapped for a audio taper pot and you'd find that volume curve a lot more controlable.

It's a common problem with vintage fenders, and amazing that they would reproduce this with the reissues. That's plain silly imo.

• Members

I was wondering about bringing it into the shop to have that volume knob checked out. Your comment about linear vs audio taper makes sense to me. That indeed would make the amp more home friendly. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Members

Yeah, I got a decent discount on mine, but even one of the sales staff I spoke to on the phone said these amps are not what you would bring to a gig, but "use at home for inspiration". I don't know if that totally makes sense to me, it does with me personally since I like to keep my gear in near mint shape, but it does indeed echo your sentiment. But OTOH, I've often thought, I've plunked out 1 K for a home theater receiver and a few thousand more for surround sound speakers, so why do I skimp on a guitar amp. So this was a splurge for me. Of course I do find I still fire up my affordable amps more often. LOL

Archived