What the **** is it about Les Pauls

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Members

Well, they look kind of cool, and I'm especially fond of the burst plaintops. What do you consider to be vintage? Not many LPs feel right to me (I'm normally a Strat player), but I played an '83 model that just felt right. Is that old enough to be vintage now?

• Members
I'd offloaded all my Pauls, couldn't be arsed since I bought the Yamaha Revstar, great sound, weight, dry switch, upper fret access.

Now I'm all over the place looking for a vintage burst plaintop Les Paul. :confused:

Know what you mean, except I haven't dealt with thinning mine out yet. Still have > 20 of them + an assortment of different types of LP Specials.

But this was the baby I fell in love with in a music store in Spokane WA back in '84 (Often referred to as the Custom Shop Edition "Studio Standard". It's an '83, the first year the Studio was made, but being a Norlin era Gibby, it's got its faults. But it's still my baby and oldest electric guitar in my herd.

Lester65.jpg

But indeed, lately I've been spending more time playing a Revstar than an LP too.

This is the last guitar I bought. Just couldn't resist.

HMM1238WW-front-large_zpspmcvusjg.jpg

Sometimes I wish the bridge p'up had a little softer attack, but I don't recall spending much time fiddling with the p'up heights or pole pieces yet. And indeed I do get a lot of use from that dry switch. I was just playing on that guitar last night and we were once again getting along together quite well. ;^)

• Members

The more Filtertron-style lower wound p'ups and the Bigsby drew me in on this 720B. It's interesting that the 820 is the same price without the Bigsby so it makes me wonder what extra goodies are in the 820. I mean, they must throw in something else in the tone department (better wood or pups) for you since they're saving a few bucks on an import Bigsby and some flame top. I bought on line so I didn't get a chance to sample the Revstar line. I was hesitant to lay out big bucks (although I did get a good discount) for an Indonesian guitar, but I've had good luck with my Yamaha TVL and my Sales Engineer at Sweetwater didn't hesitate to tell me the Revstar was a lot of guitar for the money.

Interestingly enough, I've got a set of Seth Lovers I bought years ago (set of engraved anniversary models that I picked up on a sale from MF). My original intent was to put them into that LP Studio above, but then I decided I couldn't bear putting chrome covered p'ups in a guitar that had some mileage on it and the rest of the hardware is naturally aged nickel. And I haven't decided on another guitar in my group yet that is worthy of the SLs either. LOL. But indeed, I can see them in your Revstar. Any concerns about the wiring? I'm assuming the dry switch is a separate circuit and therefore any two conductor p'up would work?

But someday I've got to do a couple things on that old LP Studio. 1) determine for sure whether or not they might be old Shaw humbuckers. The story goes that they used Shaw humbuckers on the '83 LP Studio Custom, but I haven't heard that they used them on the '83 Custom Shop LP Studio Standard. But anyway, if I determine they are not Shaw humbuckers, I think I might just get a set of Duncan Antiquities instead so they could live together in tarnish nickel harmony. I've never been too fond of its stock pups. A bit muffled from the neck and quite hard from the bridge. But excellent tone with gain. But its the action and feel on that '83 that I find to be rather stellar.

• Moderators

Yes, I just checked Andertons and they're listing the other colour for £70 cheaper, but I got my 820 for £525 ex demo, I really wanted the MIJ CR20. I've had the SLs for 15 years and they make a set of Antiquities look a tad new, but I've also got a range of raw nickel covers that can suit anything from a 50s guitar to a new model. I can't hear a difference anymore between Ants and SLs.

• Members

My LP is under 8lbs, (not sure exactly about the confusing imperial weight), but just over 3.5kg. It is chambered, a great positive to me.

I've had a couple of SG's too (I've kept the last one), and whilst they can sound similar and are definitely lighter, the thickness isn't there.

Similar playing feel though, and much better access high up the fret board. Not as thick /full though.

Archived