What the **** is it about Les Pauls

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Members

The CSE Studio was indeed a bit of an odd duck. Like a Standard it has body and neck binding, but like a Studio, it had dot inlay. The truss rod cover also has "Studio" engraved on it. I believe it was also built a bit lighter than the Standards of its day, but yet it's heavier than later models of the Studio. I really didn't know much at all about electric guitars when I bought that in '84. It had a $900 list price and the ma n pa music store sales guy just offered up that I could buy it for $800. That was a pretty big chunk of coin back then. (about the same as $1875 today) Later on when Studios became a standard production run, I believe they could be had for as little as around $500. Those were a completely "no frills" LP with dot inlay, no bindin, solid colors and an even lighter body. I think the one thing that really made Studios "Studios" was that Gibson saw a need to create a Les Paul that was more comfortable for every day players. I do still have fondness for that guitar, but it was in retrospect that I really thought its "Custom Shop Edition" designation was a bit dubious since it has a four piece top and back. That was indeed too common in the Norlin era. Although I'm glad that mine at least was not the pancake style of multi-piece construction. I think it has some historic value, but I've also felt that Gibson started getting better again around the late '90s or early 2000s. I mean certainly, there was probably the start of improvement after Gibsons sale in 1986, but I wasn't particularly impressed with my early 90s Gibsons either. But starting in the 2000s, I started picking up some good "tone for the buck" guitars from Gibson. Like a $486 Worn SG that sounded about as good as any Gibson I'd played before. My personal evolution of "guitar knowledge" includes that if I'd known what produced the tones in my head I'd be chasing, I would have bought a Strat instead, something I rectified about 9 years later.

• Members

I know the feeling. The second "good" guitar (first one was a '71 Tele, which followed a cheapo SG knockoff with action an inch high) I bought when I started playing was a new 1973 LP Deluxe (it had mini-humbuckers) in cherryburst. I sold all my guitars except for one acoustic a couple years later to help pay for college, then bought a Strat when I graduated. That was all I had until 1996, when I started to go wild: I've probably bought and sold nearly a hundred guitars since then and still have about 40. But the only "LPs" I bought were a '96 Epi Custom, a 2002 LP Studio, and and Edwards custom (I think it was around 2005, and BTW, it blew the doors off nearly every LP I'd ever played, but I still ended up selling it). Then I realized there was no way to avoid having an LP, so I got one new in 2010. In the old days we'd have called it tobacco sunburst, but I think Gibson calls it Desert-Burst or something. It's a great guitar, but I'm more into single coils, and when I do opt for 'buckers it's usually my Firebird or a semi-hollow.

• Members

That's my basic issue with LPs too. I generally prefer the tone of single coils; and Fenders, especially Strats, are a more comfy sitting n pickin guitar. I recently got my Firebird V out. And was really getting off on the tone of its minihums. I've also got a 2012 Gibson 70s Tribute SG with minihums, but they sound much more like std HBs than the minihums in my Firebird. I just don't drag out my Firebird much because it's such a big plank.

• Members

Congrats! I have been in and out of LP's since 1980. Love 'em, hate 'em, love 'em, hate 'em... and always for the same reasons! Recently I got a 2015 Traditional in Placid Purple, and I can say that it does everything that I like. It's got what they called 1959 Tribute Humbuckers, and there's something very different about them. Whatever it is they did, they are right for me. I'm actually a fan of the chunky wide neck. The lack of weight relief brings me back to when I played my uncle's '58 sunburst when I was a kid. My LP's are my go to guitars.

Archived