The Official Danelectro Appreciation Thread, lets see your Danelectro guitars!

Danoman

• Members

I've been a big fan of Danelectro guitars for a while, a few years ago in a moment of temporary insanity I sold off my Danos. I've been missing them a bit lately, the other night I completely broke out in Dano fever and ordered myself a new Danelectro 59 DC! I was wondering if there were any other Danelectro fans here? Feel free to post a pic of your Danos... I'd really like to see them. I apologize if this has already been done, I did a search and didn't see anything similar.

• Members

I've got the same Dano 12-string. They're pretty sweet aren't they? I was recently working on a Greg Palmer song "Still You Turn Me On" and I have a couple other 12 string choices in the house (like a Ricky 360-12 and a Gibby SG-12) but I chose that Dano because I preferred the play-ability feel and tone. Indeed, "cool guitar for the coin". Maybe I'll do a Dano family photo for this thread. I do have a few.

• Members

It is a ridiculously easy guitar to play for a 12 string. Not without its faults (tone control is either bright or mud & pickup selector switch is finicky. Also a serious neck diver). I would love a ric 12 string someday but this gets me in the neighborhood for about a quarter of the price...

I have two - a late 90s DC-12 and a 2005 Baritone.

Here's my friend Zak Claxton playing my DC-12 on sessions for his solo album...

zak_dano_12.jpg

And here's the Baritone, along with a couple of my basses...

BassesandBari-1.jpg

And here is a couple of pictures with the two of them together...

5a65565a.jpg

f04ca82d.jpg

• Members

Here's a pic of my '63 [technically that body style was called the Hornet but Evets used that for the one that was originally called the '63] - which is a knock-off of the original Silvertone 1449 model I lusted after as a kid:

fetch?filedataid=121963

And here's a better shot of my double with the midi pickup installed:

fetch?filedataid=121964

• Members

That doubleneck is sooo hawt Verne! :philthumb:

Thanks Phil! It looks like we have the same tastes in Dano's, just that mine is a conjoined version of your two!

A few mods I've done:

- It's wired to a TRS output jack with a switch so I can either send the necks to different amps simultaneously if needed.

- You can see on the 12 neck at the heel where I have a knock-out for truss-rod access. I do that to all my Dano's right away - makes setup, etc. sooo much easier.

- New bridge on the bottom neck to replace the rosewood saddle. It has individually adjustable saddles so intonation issues are a thing of the past.

- The type of lipstick pickup is important. The originals and the 1990 reissues used Alnico magnets, later Chinese versions use ceramic. Ceramics are hotter and all around nastier but at the cost of the super sweet, bell-like tone from the originals. Both bridge lipsticks on the double are RWRP, which is easy to do if you know a guy [like I do] with a machine for flipping the magnet's polarity. Makes a huge difference.

- The BassVI/baritone neck isn't original - bought if off Allparts booth at NAMM one year after Paul Chandler got me all hyped on baritones.

- And the "seal" pickguard I had custom cut. I even have my sig engraved in it, just at the heel of the 12-string neck. You can see it better in this photo:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31876954[/ATTACH]

And it only weights 12 lbs. - that's lighter than a lot of Les Pauls.

With my BeatBuddy, Infinity Looper and GR-33, I'm a one man band!!!

• Members

I still have this - NOT a Dano, but an Italian copy:

Dynelectron-1.jpg

It was my first 'good' guitar, and I played it to death (masoite body began to separate in a couple of places & frets worn out) over the next 12 years before finally getting a strat. When I bought this originally I had a choice between it and a 72 Tele, and of course picked the lightweight, easy playing guitar with exotic looks instead of the one that would be tough and worth a lot more in nearly 40 years time. :p

• Members

I had a aquamarine Danelectro U3 for a while (like the one pictured below) but ended up dumping it several years ago.

A while later, I bought one of the Danelecro limited edition "Jimmy Page" DC59 reissues (pictured at bottom). About all I can say is that it is much more stable than the U3 I had, has a much better bridge, better tuners, and the pickups are definitely more powerful, better sounding, and much quieter than the U3's lipstick tubes.

mlesmdohcev9elyltdo2.jpg

a10b3458d304f1792345454ed0ac8f0b.jpg

Archived