Sometimes you come across instruments that you normally couldn't care less about but...

Mark Wein

One of my students brought this 2010-11 Fender American Special that he's trying to sell. Not normally a guitar I would get excited about but its pretty killer sounding. Sometimes you just run across something that is special regardless of its origins or price point. It had heavy strings on it and it hadn't been out of the case in a few years. If I had the money I would have bought it then and there though.

889a4eb0d8e3749589bfce5f2b1d8b86.jpg

• Members

I just happen to own one of those (also in 3TSB). And indeed, I was very impressed with its tone when it arrived. I have a few other Teles, some with less pedigree and some with more, but this one became my fave upon arrival. I have an Am Deluxe that sounds a bit bland in comparison. The Deluxe just happens to have a few more "deluxe" appointments, but doesn't seem to produce the mojo I get from that Special..

I liked it so much that I later on bought the Sandblasted "Special" version of the Strat. It also does not disappoint.

So put me down as a "fan of the Specials".

• Members

I have 2 like that. One is a early 50's Harmony Stratotone that is in the process of being rebuilt. The other, a 33-35 Kaykraft venetian cutaway. The Harmony, was so butchered, I HAD to try to save it. It called out to me, and I got it to try to bring it back to glory.

the Kaykraft.... It called to me to save it from the pawn shop I found it in. the thought of that piece of history being bought by some idiot..... had to save it from a fate worse then death.

• Members

That's kind of how I found my Les Paul. I've told the story before and don't care to make my post seem like a copy/paste like half of a certain someone's posts about his favorite guitar.

But the LP was my gateway drug into Epiphone. When I walked into the shop to see a eighties style super Strat hanging on the wall, I took notice because of the pretty blonde/aged white finish. Then I saw the headstock: an Epiphone hockey stick, ala the Explorer. I'm not normally a cheesy 80's HSS style player, but I took it off the wall and it felt as well built as a Rickenbacker. I thought it would sound bad, but it had a classic Strat sound with a little Les Paul and Tele thrown in. It's kind of my main axe right now too, and I've had it for over a year.

• 1 month later...

Archived