Strat vs Tele

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

I love the body contours of a Strat, but dislike the control layout which has the volume knob and pickup selector a bit too close to my strumming hand. Too many years of knob free acoustic playing instilled in me I guess. I have both my strats bridges decked so the floating bridge is unnecessary in function, but perhaps I'd be missing the subtle tone differences it provides with that hardware inside.

Lately I've been drooling over G&L ASATs (tele body) with the front contour and the belly cut. Make it an HSS with a coil split and it may just be the best of both worlds for this guy.

• Members

I can remember when I was taking guitar lessons about 3 decades ago and my instructor also branded Tele's as being a Country music instrument. Folks seemed to be ignoring Jimmy Page's, Joe Strummer's and Keith Richard's use of them as un-noteworthy flirtations. Just seems like the Tele was considered the Twang-King of guitars but indeed other players have done a lot to expand its perception.

• Members

Other then the shape the tones between the two aren't that different. neither is Jag, Mustang or Jazzmaster. A Jazz master is a Strat with soap bar pickups and a Jaguar whammy.

Over all, Fender really does have a limited number of guitar models. They've done some experimental models but they don't seem to catch on. So many copy cats have weakened their brand too.

What it all comes down to is this. Fender built its name off of affordable guitars and targeted teenagers to buy them. They even used auto paint in the 50's to get them sold. Gibson's were sold to older seasoned working musicians who could afford them. They were the Old Mans guitar for many years because they made so many Jazz Boxes. The 50's and 60's they got in on the gravy train too but they didn't sacrifice quality or building techniques to do it.

When you consider the two companies, Gibson is still Garnering top dollar for new and used instruments. Reason, they are just plain high quality builds. Even their Norlin series are better then many suspect. Fender, They can still make a quality instrument but they make so much junk in comparison its obvious to anyone, they make their money from mass production and lower costs. They always have.

I have several Strats and clones. I have one Tele and have owned others. I have several guitars with Tele necks however which I thing is one of the better necks out there. Strat necks tend to be a bit wider.

The things that bother me on the two. The volume knob on the strat is a pain in the ass for palm muting near the bridge. For any other style playing its fine but many people who palm mute have difficulty playing them, and I'm one of them. Because the instrument is bright, palm muting lest your control string coloration. That knob is just too close to the bridge. You have to change your style of playing to get around it.

Electronically, you cant adjust the individual pickup levels, and I've never likes the two tone controls. they don't work all that well and you still have the neck that's wide open. Everything else is pretty good. Setups are tough however. Getting the bridge to float just right, and getting strings to return to pitch takes are good mechanic. Individual saddles can be tough to set up on a floating bridge too because string height is affected by fulcrum angle.

The Tele is a simpler instrument. Its definitely got a lead and rhythm pickup wound for those jobs. The three saddle bridges weren't very accurate for intonation but they were originally designed when people were using thick strings. Once six saddle and compensated 3 saddle bridges were available that issue pretty much disappeared The necks as a whole tend to be a little narrower and faster action. Of course there were so many made you can find any one you want that will suit you.

The blade switch is the thing I like least. Working that switch left and right instead of up and down or at least angled like on a strat has always been weird to me and breaks the normal string strum motion. Its in the wrong place for my needs. I've built several and reversed everything and do like it much more having the volume on that end, tone in the middle and switch towards the tail.

The Jazzmaster had a better electronic setup as far as versatility goes for a two pickup guitar. Individual pickup volumes and master controls plus a reed switch that works up and down instead of side to side.

As far as Tele vs Strat goes, I like the Tele for its string dig and pinch harmonics. Its hot wound bridge pickup can do things the strat cant.

The strat is comfortable and have a wider pallet of tones, especially the #2 and #4 pickup positions which are may favorites. You can get the instrument to crank up nicely or go clean and get the jangle tones. Frets are easy to maintain because the neck is removable.

I guess I use the tele more because It responds better dynamically. You can go from quiet to aggressive just by digging in harder. The strat tends to be more compressed sounding. Its not just the pickups either, I've installed all kinds of pickups in Strats and it doesn't change that much dynamically. I can get by with either but having both is surely the best option. What one doesn't get the other one does.

You know, it would be nice to think that they'd both be able to do the same things, but they really don't, and for that reason, I can't see being without either one. The Tele has that treble-heavy bridge pickup that can peel paint at 20 yards, and the Strat has the 2 and 4 switch positions that I love so much... :love: not to mention the great neck pickup...

Something occurred to me today. The Tele has heavy metal knobs while the Strat has lightweight plastic ones. Surely the extra mass of those metal knobs plus the vibrational qualities of metal vs. plastic makes a difference in tone, right? ;)

You sound just like some of those Audiophile knobphiles who drink the snake oil Kool-Aid.

;):D

• Members

Although I appreciate the simplicity of the Tele, I'll take a Strat over it because of the 2&4 positions and the whammy. And I'll take a G&L Legacy over a similarly equipped Strat due to the G&L's better trem and superior EQ circuit. I'll take a Jazzmaster over any of them, though.

A Jazz master is a Strat with soap bar pickups and a Jaguar whammy.

So, it's a lot different.

• Members

When I was a guitar -beginning youth, in the crowd I ran with, Teles just seemed uncool. We didn't know at the time that Pagey was using 'em - they were the preference of classic country guys, and we all wanted to be Joe Perry or Eric Clapton. I've played a lot of Teles through the years, but never owned one. Of course one of the first mods I did to the '69 Strat -- my first guitar -- that paid my college tuition and fed me for several years after, was a tele rhythm pickup in the neck position (see Randy Bachmann for inspiration).

That said, I've been using the Tele positions on my Variax a whole lot. I'll probably buy a Tele before another strat.

• Members

I like Strats but there is something about the attack of notes on the Tele that is special. On a tele you can control that attack and the rest of each note's envelope in a way that allows for a very individual sound for each player. It may be due to the ashtray plate on the bridge pickup.

Also, the neck pickup on a Tele can get a very convincing jazz/hollow body type sound, something that the Strat can not do. You do get a greater variety of tones from a Strat, but none of them are as sweet as the Tele's best tones IMO.

Archived