tube screamer only makes my amp dirty

sinister_steve

• Members

ok so I have a 1970s fender bronko tube amp and I got a TS9 pedal and all it seems to to even at low settings on amp and pedal itself is male the rubes break up. I can't get that SRV sound in any way with it. anyone have any suggestions? I have the drive and tone at like 1 and the amp at 4 and bass 4 treble 4

Thanks

• Members
You simply have too much drive on the front of the amp. Dime the treble - guitar' date='TS, and amp, and start with the guitar volume around 1. What kind of guitar are you using and what are the specs on the amp?[/quote']

so turn down the treble hey. ok will do. I am using a fender strat single coils. and as far as the amp it's a loud little bugger for a 6 watt tube amp from the 7s

• Members
Have you tried the TS9 through any other amp? Could it be faulty or modded incorrectly?

Maybe a dodgy or incorrect tube in the preamp section of the amp?

I never thought to try it through another amp simply because I love the sound of this little tube amp. and it's was just serviced new caps and tubes and still breaks up with the TS9 through it.

• Members

so turn down the treble hey. ok will do. I am using a fender strat single coils. and as far as the amp it's a loud little bugger for a 6 watt tube amp from the 7s

No, turn up the treble. Dime means turn the knob to 10. Dime. ten etc... The reason you do this is rolling off the guitar volume usually gets into the capacitor which usually will kill the treble completely.

• Members

I would use a completely different approach. At have used a Tube Screamer in front of a tube amp because my amp is too big and by the time I get some nice breakup and distortion it's way too loud. It seems to me that a little amp like that will have no problem distorting.. I would rather experiment with the guitar plugged straight into the amp and a mic in front of the amp ,then you can find the real beauty of the tube sound,

But then tone is in the fingers and what works for me may not work the same way for you.

• Members

I have seen a TS go bad, so that's one scenario. I also can't run a TS into my Deluxe Reverb RI into the Vibrato Channel, it sounds fine, however, running it into the normal channel. I learned here, back at the time, that there's a bright cap in that tremolo/reverb channel that causes the TS-9 to sound like a mess of angry electrified bees or worse.

I don't know if either scenario is valid with your experience. But hang in their with having a TS-9 in your arsenal, they are one of my fave OD pedals, and that's largely because you should be able to dial in just a hair of OD into your tone. I also own a TS-808, but even though its a softer fuzzier effect, I like the some-what more aggressive mid hump signature of the TS-9. I just find it adds the necessary amount of edge I'm often looking for.

• Members

Have you tried your amp through another cabinet like a marshall 4x12? One of the best recorded sounds I got was with a strat, throgh a cry baby into a silver silverface champ driving a 8x10 svt cabinet.

• Members

A tube screamer is designed to drive the preamp tubes into saturation.

SRV went for a "Big" sound by using Heavy gauged strings tuned a half step lower, and he Often used a Vibroverb turned up to 10. The amps had 15" JBL D130 speaker which produced allot of bass and mids. He later used EV SRO 15's

Towards the end of his career he was using one of my favorites for blues tone, a Tweed Bassman.

The other things not commonly known is he used vintage low output pickups and low gain 5751 preamp tubes which lowered the amount of tube saturation. He used the Tube screamer to drive the low output preamp tubes up in gain and give them a little hair but it was essentially a clean tone.

The drive came from driving a 15" hard more then anything else.

You aren't going to get that same tone with a little 6 watt amp. You'd need at least 30W using some 6V6 tubes to get close, 6L6 tubes are going to get you the closest. I can pretty much nail the tone with my old Black faced Bassman driven with a Tube Screamer. Speakers are an important factor though. You want big tone you have to have big speakers. Electronics only goes so far in developing a good blues tone. Moving air is equally important and well as having a good education playing blues guitar.

• Members

thanks for she replies everyone. I have more ideas of what to try next. I'll first try it in another amp. as I don't use battery to power it I only use my power rail for all my pedals. and the ony reason I figured it would work in my amp is a buddy has the same amp and uses TS9 in it and has that perfect nazle sound you expect to be able to get from one in a tube amp.

• Members
A tube screamer is designed to drive the preamp tubes into saturation.

SRV went for a "Big" sound by using Heavy gauged strings tuned a half step lower, and he Often used a Vibroverb turned up to 10. The amps had 15" JBL D130 speaker which produced allot of bass and mids. He later used EV SRO 15's

Towards the end of his career he was using one of my favorites for blues tone, a Tweed Bassman.

The other things not commonly known is he used vintage low output pickups and low gain 5751 preamp tubes which lowered the amount of tube saturation. He used the Tube screamer to drive the low output preamp tubes up in gain and give them a little hair but it was essentially a clean tone.

The drive came from driving a 15" hard more then anything else.

You aren't going to get that same tone with a little 6 watt amp. You'd need at least 30W using some 6V6 tubes to get close, 6L6 tubes are going to get you the closest. I can pretty much nail the tone with my old Black faced Bassman driven with a Tube Screamer. Speakers are an important factor though. You want big tone you have to have big speakers. Electronics only goes so far in developing a good blues tone. Moving air is equally important and well as having a good education playing blues guitar.

yea I never expected to get the same tone just kinda lol I one day will buy a nice big tube amp and not have these problems trying to make tones I'm looking for out of such a small amp. you lucky bugger having the amp I've been trying to save up for many years now lol they are not cheap here in canada for one. thanks for the info there. many things I didn't know about SRV.

• Members

Archived