Guitarists and their TIMING

soundcreation

• Members

Has anyone tried this with a click track? I'm crying foul here because on my own I hit 868 but with a click track my score stays around 800. While I'd like to think my 868 is due to my awesomeness there is no way I should consistently do worse using a click track. I'm thinking you 900 people are closer to the 1000 mark than not.

• Members

I've done enough tapping on drum pads to know if my timings good or not.

There's a time for robotics and there's a time for pushing the timing element when you play. The human ears hear timing and dynamic fluctuations as human emotion in music. Having control over both so you can dance circles around the beat is the key to making great music. Of course you do have to be able to produce great timing too when its needed. You cant blame poor timing on being artistic.

Many times during leads you may not stick to a rigid beat and instead intentionally speed up or slow down from one fixed timing ratio to another in order to create a time warp like effect. Its kind of like revving up an engine from one speed to another. Of course your timing actually needs to be even more effective to pull that off well. Big difference between playing catch up and being right on the money. It even gets harder when you work with others. You have to anticipate their timing and your own to make great things happen.

Realistically it just come down to a human element in music. Its easy to predict the timing of a metronome. Its not so easy to predict someone's timing if they don't spend the time practicing to a fixed beat. Drummers and bass players especially need to be locked to a solid beat. I've known many drummers who have a hard time locking to the tempo. Add a little alcohol and it can become quite difficult to predict their moves. They may hesitate slightly and miss critical breaks or get lost in the beat and miss complicated timing maneuvers.

• Members

My licks were so hot I made the teacher wanna dance. :D

I actually sucked. I was like the Charlie Watts of the Got Rhythm game.

Even after practicing it a few times I was behind the beat here and there and barely broke 700, but it was pretty steady 700 I must say. :D

• Members

lol.... argggghhhhh!!!!

you know I was thinking about this a little more and they really should put down the average value out of 50 as well.

It would be a more accurate measure of consistency to the beat....which is really more important than an over all score the way they do it.

My score might be higher but (and I'm not saying this just to make you feel better :p) but I think yours is probably more impressive. I'd bet your average is better than mine.

I know they give the value of each dot if you hover over it with the mouse....but I didn't think about averaging them until after I closed the window.

• Members
Let me know when you can find a drummer that get a 1000 point.

Drummer with a high speed trigger interface - maybe. Pro drummers are habituated to producing attacks with sticks - that's a foot to nearly half a yard removed from actual physical impetus. In my case that means early triggering at the fingertips. Avg around 850,high of 895 (screenshot in the DF). Then there's system latency. The hdwr - keyboard/processor,usb, whatever else... the connection speed, the app speed etc...

There should be a plugin for those with DAWs and such to do scientific tests.

• 2 months later...
  • Members
Let me know when you can find a drummer that get a 1000 point.

I know a guy who could probably do it.

It's such a treat to play with him. He lays it down so well that you don't even have to count out a two bar rest. Everybody just knows (feels) exactly where the beat is.

I'm spoiled now. It's hard to play with anyone else.

• Members

I like that this game shows you what happened with every click. That is actually a valuable tool if you want to look back and analyze why you rushed or dragged at any given time. Neat! There are probably some inaccuracies due to hardware and server response, but I still think it is cool.

Anyway, playing accurate time without a click shouldn't be anything out of the ordinary, and it should be practiced regularly.

AlamoJoe, I don't think that your time got worse, don't get discouraged! Maybe you just found it hard to focus because the idea of the "challenge" got in the way: it became an interference!

This is an interesting article related to the subject: timing, psychological interferences, metronome exercises and some more... it might be of interest!

http://www.nyensembleclasses.com/imp...me-and-rhythm/

Archived