You have $300 to spend on a new guitar and new amp...what do you buy?

Virgman

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I've read this post at least 5x and for the life of me' date=' cannot come up with a guitar that would suffice. I can get an amp for $100 but no new guitar for $100 would float my boat.[/quote']

Yeah, boat floating might be tough. But for something that could suffice- i.e. would be playable, intonateable and reliable enough to learn on?

• Members

Yeah, boat floating might be tough. But for something that could suffice- i.e. would be playable, intonateable and reliable enough to learn on?

No, can't do it, or, cannot come up with any guitar up to $120 new that would please me. I guess I'm a gear snob, lol. $200 changes things but that's total with the amp so I'm out.

• Members

billybilly,

The Rondo guitars (SX and Hadean) are eminently playable and cost under $100.

Buy one and find out.

What you have to be willing to do is play Asian made guitars, many of which are good quality and very playable with a good setup and minor tweaking.

• Members

I'm supposing this is a situation where my gear is stolen or unavailable and I have to play a gig? $300 bucks is pretty skimpy. I'm no cork sniffer, but my fuzz pedal alone would destroy that budget.

I'll take a Squier '51 at $180, and a Pignose. I've never played through a Pignose, but I'd like one. I had one of the earlier '51s, and I would probably end up putting different pickups in again. My first one had a Twang Banger and a Seymour Duncan JB. That was one hot guitar, and I'll never put a JB in another guitar ever again.

• Members

The Rage 258 seems to be chosen often in this scenario. If it had reverb it would be a complete amp.

I have one of them and hook up pedals to it through the clean channel. It can go to full volume and remain very clean which is typical Peavey.

• Members

I picked up and played an HSS Bullet a couple years ago. I could not believe how well that thing was set up and played. If they are still the same, there goes $100 with a humbucker, singles and loads of variety in tones.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-bullet-stratocaster-hss-electric-guitar-with-tremolo

That leaves $200 for a Mustang II. FX out the wazoo and more than just a bedroom amp. Sick what you can get for so little coin.

Archived