You have $300 to spend on a new guitar and new amp...what do you buy?

Virgman

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Without being overly snarky, I agree that the budget just isn't workable. Scenario would help - are you a working guitarist who MUST gig that evening, and that's what you have? Are you a relative looking to start a youngster on a path and that's what you can afford?

I am assuming that the situation is "buying for a beginner," because that's almost always where I see unrealistic budgets.

The problem with a faulty budget is that it creates more problems than it meets needs. Sure, you can get a Starcaster package for $149, but an instrument that poor will frustrate a beginner, if they even get past the first lesson with cowboy chords.

If I were trying to encourage a beginner, I'd spend $250 on a Squier Vintage Modified something-or-other*, and sit them down to show them how to properly set up a guitar. (Without expecting them to remember - just to show that a guitar is a living, breathing creature). Then I would find a nice, used practice amp for $50 - with the caveat that it is only for practice.

Here's a couple of ideas:

fetch?id=31363583

fetch?id=31363584fetch?id=31363585

* - if junior is a shredder, clearly Squier's won't be OK. Perhaps Floyd Rosenbomb can list the equivalent entry-level-but-not-awful equivalent.

• Members

Addendum - was in the local indie store yesterday (who have a great staff, and a very good selection) and was noting that they had a terrific selection of $300-$700 basses in stock. Along come a couple who are shopping for her first bass, and getting great help and suggestions from a staffer.

Then: "What's your budget?"

"Two hundred dollars."

Boom. Ensuing conversation was him trying (very, very politely and patiently) to explain why you might want to up that to $400, without being overly sales-y, and the male half of the relationship talking at great length out his ass about "higher end instruments you're really paying for better wood quality." Yes, guy, right - QC in Fullerton, CA is identical to the QC in Indonesia, and there's no difference whatsoever in the electronics ....

In any event, I am certain that Ms. New Bassist will soon be Ms. Formerly Interested in the Bass, all for $200.

$200 is not a lot if you are really committed, nor is waiting and saving. And if you're not really committed, why even drop $300 on an instrument?

• Members
. . . Along come a couple who are shopping for her first bass, and getting great help and suggestions from a staffer.

Then: "What's your budget?"

"Two hundred dollars." . . .

My own first (and at this point only) bass cost $75 but was beat up and needed work. It would've been worth $200 or so in good condition. I have about $125 in it now (new tuners and pots) and I've actually played it in public. Helpful Staffer would have done Ms. New Bassist a better service pointing her at used gear.

• Members

"but was beat up and needed work" ... OP said must be new.

As for the scene down at mom n' pop shop, they were not interested in used gear, either. Have you ever noticed how beginner's want something 'brand new' .... LOLOLOLOLOL when GAS finally sets in ...

• Members
. . . As for the scene down at mom n' pop shop, they were not interested in used gear, either....

The point I was attempting to make was that if I could find a bass with potential for $75 it ought to be possible to find something decent for $200. Further, it's fully possible to find something worthy of a beginner for $200 brand new. Any Squier, Ibanez, or Yamaha will do fine. $400 gets you within $150 of a Standard (Mexi) Precision Bass.

Archived