Traditional or off the wall?

JC777

• Members
Depends on the design, but usually I go more for traditional unless it's really well executed and original. I really dislike a lot of the 'vintage inspired' designs that just mish-mash a bunch of things iconic instruments have.

For example, I really like Bobby Weir's Hoag guitar. It's a really cool design, but doesn't look our of place and is still original.

case_jpg.jpg

I like it too,It's an awesome guitar for someone else but a little too flashy for me. I think it comes down to the lightning bolts. If the guitar is flashy the playing needs to be flashy as well . I am a mediocre player so a more conservative style fits me better.

• Members

I feel the traditional Stratocaster electric guitar was such a perfect design from the outset

Everything else I play I am aware that I am holding something, It digs in somewhere, the neck dives, it doesn't quack or controls are strange.

The Stratocaster just kind of disappears interfacing seamlessly between the sound I want and the amp.

I have moved on to fat strats because I am a rhythm based player but beyond that I don't feel a great desire to go radical,

(confession) I did however consider a Steinberger Transtrem in better financial days because I dug the sound on Michael Hedges Point B

3-Steinberger_GM7SA.jpg

[video=youtube_share;0kZeUNXuoYA]

• Members

I have no rhyme or reason. Some really off the wall stuff I dig and some traditional stuff I don't. But I can appreciate most.

Then I have friends that forward me pics that they think I'll like and I'm thinking "WTF is that??"

• Members

I tend more toward 'tweaked traditional'... Like that Fano. The colors, the pickups, the shapes, are all pretty traditional, but tweaked.

Too far away from traditional can get to 'nope' for me. I mean - traditional for me is 50s/early 60s. The pointy neon stuff from the 80s? Nope.

• Members

I like it too,It's an awesome guitar for someone else but a little too flashy for me. I think it comes down to the lightning bolts. If the guitar is flashy the playing needs to be flashy as well . I am a mediocre player so a more conservative style fits me better.

I can see that, but seeing as how they're thirteen point lightning bolts and it's Bobby's guitar I see this as less "flash" and more of a tribute to Owsley and Bobby's musical legacy. If it were a guitar for someone else (like that horrible Ovation lightning bolt they used to make) I would agree.

Plus, if you are a guy and want to wear Daisy Duke cutoffs, this should be up there second on your list behind a pink Modulus. However, if you're arguably one of the top five rhythm guitar players in the history of rock you get a pass.

That being said, the throw a Tele Bridge and control plate on a different shape to me means they're taking too many shortcuts. Like anything else, YMMV.

• Members

I'm both I like the old standard model LP/Strats/Tele/335/SG/Firebirds ect . I also like Schons/ Guild Thunderbirds/Jackson's/BC Riches ect. I think there must be room for different design of guitars. I can't stand 50 kind of different Strats/Teles/LP ect.

• Members

Off the wall all the way for me. I currently own only 3 electric guitars; a Hofner Shorty travel guitar, a Dean Vendetta XM made of super lightweight Pawlonia wood (bought new for $89), and my current fave, a pink Squier MiniStrat with Hello Kitty stickers on it.

Archived