Two cats dead in a month and a half

OMTerria

• Members

There's a cat that's been coming round my way lately. I'm not sure if it's a stray or just a neighbor's cat or what but it's not wearing a tag. The other day it brought me a dead rat so I think it wants to be friends.

It might just have noticed that you're not very good at catching rats and have taken pity on you.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Saying that their expansion is directly attributable to human actions (the extermination of the region's wolves, conversion of forests to farmland, human introduction of food supplies via garbage and livestock, etc.) and then saying they expanded their range and habitat "naturally" is contradictory.
:)

I do understand and agree with your point about the problems from a highly adaptable and efficient introduced predatory species - cats can be devastating to not only the local rodent population, but also to desirable animals and birds too.

No, the change in the ecology of the North American continent was not natural, the expansion of the coyote habitat in response to the change in ecology was.

• Members

Can you say we are the dominate species? Put ten men in the African planes. Pit them against a lion. If those men have nothing but their hands and feet, do you think they'd survive.

While I actually agree with parts of your environmental rant, this is such a bizarre argument. Surely quite a large part of being a human is our cognitive ability? Which you think we should just throw away in your hypothetical situations?

Those ten men, if on the African plains & not in African planes, were pitted against a lion with nothing but their bare hands and feet, they probably would get eaten up. But I kind of thought that's why 'man' used their collective brain power and invented things, you know, like the spear. I am yet to see them Lions get together and invent the kevlar vest.

Amazing ridiculous thread.

• Members

While I actually agree with parts of your environmental rant, this is such a bizarre argument. Surely quite a large part of being a human is our cognitive ability? Which you think we should just throw away in your hypothetical situations?

Those ten men, if on the African plains & not in African planes, were pitted against a lion with nothing but their bare hands and feet, they probably would get eaten up. But I kind of thought that's why 'man' used their collective brain power and invented things, you know, like the spear. I am yet to see them Lions get together and invent the kevlar vest.

Amazing ridiculous thread.

It's only suppose to be hypothetical. But doesn't mean that such a situation hasn't happened where a human didn't have anything to protect themselves or can't be ambushed by such a predator. Was to put in perspective how fragile our lives our without weapons to help defend ourselves.

• Members

It's only suppose to be hypothetical. But doesn't mean that such a situation hasn't happened where a human didn't have anything to protect themselves or can't be ambushed by such a predator. Was to put in perspective how fragile our lives our without weapons to help defend ourselves.

I had a really thought out response to this, but I decided to delete it and go have a beer on my back deck.

• Members

It's only suppose to be hypothetical. But doesn't mean that such a situation hasn't happened where a human didn't have anything to protect themselves or can't be ambushed by such a predator. Was to put in perspective how fragile our lives our without weapons to help defend ourselves, which I see now does not prove that we are not the dominant species and admit has gone way off track from the original debate about killing pests .

I added the bit you neglected to mention.

• Members

V covered this earlier. The intelligence to dominate. I know you mention the above disciplines as an argument that they are only important for modern civilisation but some of them are necessary to survive. We need to be able to recount history to survive. The same faculty is involved whether recalling dates of historical note or if a previously encountered situation can harm/kill us. I won't go on on this point.

Over looked this. History is a good tool to look back on IF we are willing to not perpetuate the same {censored} again. Last I checked, we are still going to war relentlessly. Still being greedy as {censored} and building empires that are reaching their point of failure. You're not telling me anything I don't already know. The problem is, we don't use the more important tools like history to change the course of humanity. Your argument is valid in theory but isn't actually employed in real life. Just look at the last 100 years of this country. Back to a central banking system. Non stop wars. Show me what we have learned from our past besides learning to adopt all the mistakes that have already been made.

As far as your last post, I am just posting whatever I want really.

• Members

Over looked this. History is a good tool to look back on IF we are willing to not perpetuate the same {censored} again. Last I checked, we are still going to war relentlessly. Still being greedy as {censored} and building empires that are reaching their point of failure. You're not telling me anything I don't already know. The problem is, we don't use the more important tools like history to change the course of humanity. Your argument is valid in theory but isn't actually employed in real life. Just look at the last 100 years of this country. Back to a central banking system. Non stop wars. Show me what we have learned from our past besides learning to adopt all the mistakes that have already been made.

What I have learned from this is greed is human nature. Who among us if given the chance wouldn't take more than his/her fair share?

• Members

Actually, we're living in one of the most peaceful times in history, believe it or not.

Peaceful? I don't really think of peace when my tax dollars have help kill innocent people over seas to be "peaceful."

• Members

Everyone does to some extent be it with money or food. The extent though is do you allow your greed to ruin other peoples lives?

Peaceful? I don't really think of peace when my tax dollars have help kill innocent people over seas to be "peaceful."

That just shows you how much worse it's been in the past. Our wars tend to have death counts in the thousands now.

It used to be millions.

Crime is also much lower now than in the past.

• Members

That just shows you how much worse it's been in the past. Our wars tend to have death counts in the thousands now.

It used to be millions.

Crime is also much lower now than in the past.

We also don't have as much money to throw at the war machine right now.

• Members

Over looked this. History is a good tool to look back on IF we are willing to not perpetuate the same {censored} again. Last I checked, we are still going to war relentlessly. Still being greedy as {censored} and building empires that are reaching their point of failure. You're not telling me anything I don't already know. The problem is, we don't use the more important tools like history to change the course of humanity.
Your argument is valid in theory but isn't actually employed in real life
. Just look at the last 100 years of this country. Back to a central banking system. Non stop wars. Show me what we have learned from our past besides learning to adopt all the mistakes that have already been made.

The point of the history example was to counter your position that we don't need those 'intelligences' to survive. Now you're dismissing that, by claiming we don't learn from history by citing war, which still doesn't disprove what I said for the need for the aptitude to remember (history) to survive.

Your arguments usually veer off into tangents (often in the form of a rant) that have precious little, if anything, to do with the original argument. When these new assertions are countered with a point any reasonable person would agree with, you half agree and start off on a new approach (which usually doesn't logically follow) to have a go again, and on and on the dance goes until your debating partner becomes exasperated, as you would with a bad dog that just won't let go of your slipper.

2nu52xv.jpg

• Members

Everyone does to some extent be it with money or food. The extent though is do you allow your greed to ruin other peoples lives?

I think one of the biggest contributors to the world problems be it war, greed, environmental etc. is Harvard School of Business and others like it. Every year they churn out the brightest minds and unlike science, medicine, engineering etc. the only thing they can advance is taking from others. They continue to hollow out society and push the boundaries. Blame Harvard and all those MBA grads who go on to be captains of industry, Wall Street traders, and leaders of our countries.

• Members

I think one of the biggest contributors to the world problems be it war, greed, environmental etc. is Harvard School of Business and others like it. Every year they churn out the brightest minds and unlike science, medicine, engineering etc. the only thing they can advance is taking from others. They continue to hollow out society and push the boundaries. Blame Harvard and all those MBA grads who go on to be captains of industry, Wall Street traders, and leaders of our countries.

Education isn't the problem. The capitalist system as we have it is the problem.

• Members

Education isn't the problem. The capitalist system as we have it is the problem.

Yes but it is the training they get that is lacking in ethics morals and a sense of fair play, community and helping others that has turned the system into a sociopath. They are constantly finding new ways to squeeze the lemon that don't consider anything else but their profit and greed. Trained that way at Harvard, Yale etc.

Archived