Two cats dead in a month and a half

OMTerria

• Members

A piece of paper with a degree means {censored} this day in age when I can learn all the same {censored} without leaving my house.

This is completely incorrect. Graduate education is about learning ways of reasoning and methodologies of inquiry rather than learning facts. It's far more about asking the right questions and learning to actually research. You can't just read books and get the equivalent of a PhD. You need to be taught those things in person by people who know their field and how it works.

Reading a book by zizek is very very different than talking to him in person.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is completely incorrect. Graduate education is about learning ways of reasoning and methodologies of inquiry rather than learning facts. It's far more about asking the right questions and learning to actually research. You can't just read books and get the equivalent of a PhD. You need to be taught those things in person by people who know their field and how it works.

this.

• Members

Are you sure violence has decreased? Or has the modern weaponry and propaganda just made it look cleaner?

I am also highly educated. Highly being the operative word.

What are your degrees in? Your double masters are very difficult and I am impressed. I can still make you my bitch in a battle of wits, but well done.

Interdisciplinary Humanities/Social Thought and Literature/Writing.

I think you've already lost the battle of wits by claiming you'll make me your "bitch."

• Members

I said a degree. Not your degree. I broad brushed. What you have is of not interest to me but please continue to brag about {censored} I will not give a {censored} about and over look the fact you got butt hurt for no reason and also that your previous statement about wars and genocide are more peacefu

• Members

I said a degree. Not your degree. I broad brushed. What you have is of not interest to me but please continue to brag about {censored} I will not give a {censored} about and over look the fact you got butt hurt for no reason and also that your previous statement about wars and genocide are more peacefu

And you completely missed the point of what I said. It applies to any degree, not just mine. My point was that degrees in general actually mean quite a lot. The piece of paper is irrelevant, sure, but the experience of earning it is not.

• Members

I said degrees. Broad brushing which was meant to stick to {censored} you can learn from a book. History, philosophy, art and so on. What you have is of no interest to me. But please continue to brag about your higher education while ignoring the point I made about a previous statement which is now invalid because terrible {censored} on large scales still happens. Something about war and genocide being more "peaceful."

Edit: God damnit I thought what I typed disappeared, but instead it posted. Whatever. And no, I can go learn different philosophies, eras of art and so on through literature. Will it take me longer to learn the fundamentals of those topics, yes. Will I be an expert? {censored} no. That isn't what I am getting at. I don't want to be a philosophy major for a job. I'd go back to school to be a philosophy major because it interests me. I don't give a {censored} about a degree so I will just read and learn what I can.

• Members

Interdisciplinary Humanities/Social Thought and Literature/Writing.

I think you've already lost the battle of wits by claiming you'll make me your "bitch."

Don't think so...that was humor. I guess they don't teach that... (see how I turned that around?)

• Members

I said degrees. Broad brushing which was meant to stick to {censored} you can learn from a book. History, philosophy, art and so on. What you have is of no interest to me. But please continue to brag about your higher education while ignoring the point I made about a previous statement which is now invalid because terrible {censored} on large scales still happens. Something about war and genocide being more "peaceful."

Edit: God damnit I thought what I typed disappeared, but instead it posted. Whatever. And no, I can go learn different philosophies, eras of art and so on through literature. Will it take me longer to learn the fundamentals of those topics, yes. Will I be an expert? {censored} no. That isn't what I am getting at. I don't want to be a philosophy major for a job. I'd go back to school to be a philosophy major because it interests me. I don't give a {censored} about a degree so I will just read and learn what I can.

Ok, forget it. You're not going to get what I'm saying apparently.

• Members

Ok, forget it. You're not going to get what I'm saying apparently.

You're right. You're too smart for me. Dumb it down more. I can't understand the difference between broadening my mind on my own compared to a class room setting designed to teach me the tools I will need in order to get a degree. Which I have no interest in. Please continue to ignore the peaceful murder thing though.

• Members

You're right. You're too smart for me. Dumb it down more. I can't understand the difference between broadening my mind on my own compared to a class room setting designed to teach me the tools I will need in order to get a degree. Which I have no interest in. Please continue to ignore the peaceful murder thing though.

Ok here. Maybe this is clear enough.

What happens if you misinterpret something you've read and you are working on your own? Nobody corrects you. You learn something WRONG.

What happens when you are learning something under the guidance of someone who knows what they are talking about? Who learned it from the guy who wrote the book, for example, or who is the guy who wrote the book, or was a colleague of his? They tell you, no, you've got it wrong. Think about it in relation to this other thing in this other theory over here, etc. That's a huge difference. Besides the basic media differences with respect to time and interaction in learning via speech vs text you also just plain have someone to correct your mistakes.

It has nothing to do with the degree itself. The degree just shows someone else that you learned something that way.

How many of the whackjobs on conspiracy radio shows are self-taught historians/archaeologists, etc?

• Members

Ok here. Maybe this is clear enough.

What happens if you misinterpret something you've read and you are working on your own? Nobody corrects you. You learn something WRONG.

What happens when you are learning something under the guidance of someone who knows what they are talking about? Who learned it from the guy who wrote the book, for example, or who is the guy who wrote the book, or was a colleague of his? They tell you, no, you've got it wrong. Think about it in relation to this other thing in this other theory over here, etc. That's a huge difference. Besides the basic media differences with respect to time and interaction in learning via speech vs text you also just plain have someone to correct your mistakes.

It has nothing to do with the degree itself. The degree just shows someone else that you learned something that way.

How many of the whackjobs on conspiracy radio shows are self-taught historians/archaeologists, etc?

So it's like me pointing out your previous point about the current state of peaceful wars and genocide is absurd? Ahhhhhhhha! Oh and a serious answer, you're not telling me anything I don't alrady know. Hence the class room remark designed to get me the degree.

• Members

So it's like me pointing out your previous point about the current state of peaceful wars and genocide is absurd? Ahhhhhhhha! Oh and a serious answer, you're not telling me anything I don't alrady know. Hence the class room remark designed to get me the degree.

No it's not like that at all, actually.

• Members

To the OP:
shoot the {censored}ing coyote.
and consider stuffed toys if you can't deal with the fact that animals die, often in horrible ways.

To Phil:
- We have three guard llamas. They do a good job on the coyotes that I do not see...sometime I'll take a pic of a "coyote pancake".
BTW, a neighbor lost a llama to a cougar about 18 months ago...the cougar was tracking an elk herd, who brushed off the cougar's track into the llama's paddock and, splat: dead llama.
- About 3 years ago, 9 goats were killed in a different neighbor's barn...in one night. Cougar, again.
- Two months ago, a group of 4-6 cougars were photo'd repeatedly about a half mile away, hunting as a pack (a heartofor unknown and unnatural hunting tactic of cougars). They have nearly wiped out the coyote population in the immediate area, and put heavy pressure on the deer.

- To Crohny:
I respectfully submit you do not understand ecology, wildlife behavior, nor the realities of living in nature. Other than a parroting of what you have read or heard, you are ignorant and lack a functional frame of reference. You may even be unaware of the irony of your internet-existance.
Your ability to respond to comments made in this thread is enabled SOLELY by a long series of human innovations and changes to the natural environment that have resulted in the creation of an unnatural, immediate electronic network and medium allowing communication across continents, instantly. If you were consistant in your adherence to the natural world, you wouldn't be using this tool, would you? This wonderful tool you use was not created without loss of life, injury to animals, and damage to the environment. Yet you use it as if it was guilt-free. How dare you?

Unplug.

Be consistant with your commentary.

Make room for a coyote in your personal space....maybe in the kitchen, or the pantry.

Archived