The use of Equipment, putting the BS myths to rest

Zachman

• Members

Lots of houses have open windows with no glass in Hawaii right? Is that thing about not being able to buy property for 10 years true?

no, and no.

When it rains, you need to be able to close the windows, though there are lanai's which are screen enclosed patios, but usually there are windows. There are tons of homes for sale. They're just expensive.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The dude lives in Hawaii so Im sure there is a need for gear when bands play shows there and cant ship their gear out into the middle of the pacific. You could make a decent business out of renting marshall heads and 4x12s to guys who need an amp for the night.

Actually, I am quite inclined to believe that it could be quite lucrative to be in that business there.....annnndd.... Its probably cheaper for touring bands to rent the gear there than to actually haul all of their own to the gig... sounds like a win win to me...

• Members

Actually, I am quite inclined to believe that it could be quite lucrative to be in that business there.....annnndd.... Its probably cheaper for touring bands to rent the gear there than to actually haul all of their own to the gig... sounds like a win win to me...

100% spot on...

• Members

Very good trolling. The best trolling always has a bit of sincerity in it, you know. You can't get anyone to talk for seventy pages about bull{censored}.

I don't care about your opinion on gear, as I am fully capable of forming my own, but I deeply appreciate your ability to create controversy.

Well done Sir.

• Members

Somewhat off-topic, but Zachman do you know of any rack discussion forums? Surely you go to some, and I'd like to join there and peacefully talk about racks without having a million people showcasing and sh|tting threads with their close-mindedness.

yes- It's sad, what is going on here really. I mean, I've been here for longer than ALL of the trolls who are derailing the thread, and in the old days, guys were interested in talking about gear, and ideas about running gear. (ALL kinds of gear). Nearly ALL of the knowledgeable guys have jumped ship here, and moved on to where on topic discussions can be had, but the camaraderie, to get silly is still there too. The flame fest BS, is not allowed to go on, as it is here.

At huge racks inc, and rig Talk: Van Halens tech, Neal Schon's tech, Bruce Egnater, John Suhr and a bunch of highly respected industry pro's post and the source of info is "the sky is the limit". This place seems to be bent on making sure that the only topics that are discussed are limited, where the other forums aren't. The Huge Racks forum's pedal guys have the highest of the highend boutique pedals setup their boards professionally by guys like LA Sound Design's Dave Phillips and Martin Golub, Dave Friedman, real touring pros and studio pros etc...

Like this:

New_Tariqh_Pics_-1.jpg

New_Tariqh_Pics2_.jpg

http://www.hugeracksinc.com/forum/index.php

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/index.php

• Members

Ya, the guys in the monster rack forum are pretty cool, though that forum tends to move a bit slowly, as most of the guys that post there also post at the other forums I listed.

HC is known for being juvenile, amongst the guys who really know what they're talking about, and who when they talk about the "BEST" stuff really mean it, and don't take exception because of $$$. That's not to say that it's got to be expensive or it isn't good, but REALLY... I'm sure the guys who will want to argue that best is subjective but a DD2 compared to a 2290, AMS, Eventide etc... there's no contest as to what is the BEST, different than the "best" for a kid on a budget.

• Members
Very good trolling. The best trolling always has a bit of sincerity in it, you know. You can't get anyone to talk for seventy pages about bull{censored}.

I don't care about your opinion on gear, as I am fully capable of forming my own, but I deeply appreciate your ability to create controversy.

Well done Sir.

The topic was based on clearing up some prevailing misconceptions, and clearly there are those who are only interested in perpetuating the ignorance, and never growing in their knowledge or understanding of what else is available in the market, and what guys (LOTS of other guys) are ACTUALLY doing.

Oh well icon_irre.gif

• Members

What the motha-! {censored}ing awesome setups!!!

Ya, agreed. ;)

mid_New_Tariqh_Pics_.jpg

The idea of "pedal vs rack" is stupid everywhere but here- apparently. The pros do tend to use both, and I'm not talking about doom, jam bands, or indie bands etc... rather actual Session guys and touring pros that make a serious living as hired guns, and as people who are doing backing guitars for artists on tour and television shows etc...

• Members

I think people need to actually play through some rack gear to understand how good it is.

They're too afraid to:

Shed their ignorance

Face the learning curve

Face the fact that their position will prove to be ridiculous

Admit that they don't have the BEST sounding and performing stuff possible

They are content to deal with "good enough" as their motto

• Members

They're too afraid to:

Shed their ignorance

Face the learning curve

Face the fact that their position will prove to be ridiculous

Admit that they don't have the BEST sounding and performing stuff possible

They are content to deal with "good enough" as their motto

I'm not sure what your opinion is anymore. Sometimes it seems like you feel a rack system is the BEST regardless of situation, whether it be a simple switching system or a million dollar eventide rack.

Other times it seems like you accept a well put together board can be the BEST for some situations.

I always LOL when people complain about the 'learning curve' of effects or music gear in general. I've never encountered a piece of equipment I couldn't figure out without a manual in a matter of minutes.

• Members

I'm not sure what your opinion is anymore. Sometimes it seems like you feel a rack system is the BEST regardless of situation, whether it be a simple switching system or a million dollar eventide rack.

Other times it seems like you accept a well put together board can be the BEST for some situations.

I always LOL when people complain about the 'learning curve' of effects or music gear in general. I've never encountered a piece of equipment I couldn't figure out without a manual in a matter of minutes.

My POV is this the BEST stuff is recognized, industry wide- by studio owners, engineers, producers and artists and have been for getting the results that only they (The stuff that is the best like: Eventide, Urie, TC Electronic, Lexicon, NEVE, SSL, etc...) can get, for a reason. The reason is because it's TRUE.

I don't say and never have, that the BEST stuff has to always be used or the results are bad. That is the POV that the guys who are trying to derail the thread, are trying to assign to me.

Yes a well done pedal board can work great.

My Global position is and has always been that: Gear are mere tools for getting a job done, and it's the job of the guy using the gear to select the proper tool/tools for the job at hand, have it available to perform, and to know how to operate it, and... that includes EVERYTHING that is available (not just pedals or rack processors, analog, or digital, tube or SS), and understanding how it can be setup to get a given result.

When I come across according to you, as having the POV that the huge rack is the best regardless of situation, that is not so. My position on that is that it SOUNDS and PERFORMS the best- regardless of situation, not that it is the best choice or required for every given situation.

Subtle but important distinction.

• Members

I've played through tons of rack gear. I wouldn't buy something that was 5,000 and not. I've played with Eventides, Tc Electronics, and Lexicon stuff. It does sound great and pristine. On paper nothing can stand up to it. As we have already discussed numerous times in this thread though. Best is a very subjective thing. Your idea of best and mine differ on some things. Like to me the old Echoplexs are the best delay/echo ever made. You may love Charvel guitars while I prefer Fender offsets/teles. I have friends that run/own studios too and I have spent time with rack gear. I've owned one in the past (rack). It wasn't as nice as yours but I wanted to start cheap. So I could get the feel and then decide if I wanted to go further. I really didn't. I do love effects but to be honest most of the time with my main band I hardly use them. Now that I have the Dr.Z, Carr, and Bassman I use them even less. I love to play with them and color my sound a little but thats it.

• Members
there is no "best" when it comes to gear.

Good call, I've had a rack setup full of the 'best' gear and it didn't work for me in a real world situation. I now have a pedalboard + small rack (still kept the Eventide though :love:) that works much better for my needs.

I was however glad to go through the experience of building a rack as a lot of the concepts still translate to my current setup - MIDI, loop switching, clean power etc.

Archived