The use of Equipment, putting the BS myths to rest

Zachman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Happiness is having a lot of pedals AND a lot of rack gear, both analog and digital, so you can choose the best tools for a given situation in the studio.

Give me germanium transistors, BBDs, tape delays, valves, and an Eventide (and a few other things besides). I will use and enjoy them all.

cheers,

Ian

• Members

Happiness is having a lot of pedals AND a lot of rack gear, both analog and digital, so you can choose the best tools for a given situation in the studio.

Give me germanium transistors, BBDs, tape delays, valves, and an Eventide (and a few other things besides). I will use and enjoy them all.

cheers,

Ian

+9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

• Members

damn, this is a long thread

all I know is my personal experience. When I had 100,000 dollars worth of gear my playing totally sucked. Now I've got just 5 guitars, 1 amp, clean power, wireless, peterson tuner and I totally rip :wave: When I had a ton of gear I was always searching for a sound and trying to be an expert at everything. The result was...I was a total trainwreck. Once I downsized...I dialed in what I was good at and didn't try to be a jack of all trades master of none. The result was...my playing got better than ever.

Guys with tons of gear usually know how to dial in a perfect sound for everything. They can get a sweet surf tone...or jazz tone....or 80s metal lead...whatever. But, that is for studio players and hired guns. Average guys or artists focused on original material only need a few sounds and usually do best just to concentrate on a reasonable amount of gear.

• Members

I can only speak for myself of course, but I really look forward to the day where sdresdre rises above lackluster mediocrity and posts something funny and original, completely devoid of all-too-typical ad hominem arguments, name calling, and childish insults.

its ever so cute when little boys try to use big words. awwwwwwwwww.

• Members

axess stuff are great! that's how i started: first with the GRX4 and midimate. then i added the CFX4 and that's about it. i couldn't afford everything all at one but little by little i built it to the point that it is today. good luck!

-PJ

Thanks man :cool:. It looks like great stuff, and it does exactly what I need it to. I'll probably be building my rig similarly (I have no money :p)

:thu:

• Members
Perhaps you could tell me how to do Diatonic pitch shifting with just a guitar, and explain what is so confusing about this being the effects forum, chucklehead?

You don't seem to bright. I rent a lot of my gear out for rentals as a sound reinforcement company. see...

gear%20pics%20005.jpg

gear%20pics%20013.jpg

• Members
damn, this is a long thread

all I know is my personal experience. When I had 100,000 dollars worth of gear my playing totally sucked. Now I've got just 5 guitars, 1 amp, clean power, wireless, peterson tuner and I totally rip
:wave:
When I had a ton of gear I was always searching for a sound and trying to be an expert at everything. The result was...I was a total trainwreck. Once I downsized...I dialed in what I was good at and didn't try to be a jack of all trades master of none. The result was...my playing got better than ever.

Guys with tons of gear usually know how to dial in a perfect sound for everything. They can get a sweet surf tone...or jazz tone....or 80s metal lead...whatever. But, that is for studio players and hired guns. Average guys or artists focused on original material only need a few sounds and usually do best just to concentrate on a reasonable amount of gear.

Hmm... there is some validity to this... I know that when I first started playing that I went bonkers with the effects. It took some time to realize that the effects were playing me... and not the other way around. I dumped all of them and worked on my chops, then slowly began to add the effects back in.

Again, I think it just reinforces the notion that all of this gear is just a tool to get you to where you want to go. One can have no effects, or a mountain of them... as long as your end goal is achieved.

• Members

What is your point?

I guess my point is either you're 100% full of {censored} and trying to impress people with pics of stuff that isn't even yours or you have a lot more gear than I thought.

you said this:

"I rent a lot of my gear out for rentals as a sound reinforcement company. see..."

and posted those pics of shelves full of roadcases so I was just surprised by that. So is that stuff all yours. Yes or no?

• Members

I guess my point is either you're 100% full of {censored} and trying to impress people with pics of stuff that isn't even yours or you have a lot more gear than I thought.

you said this:

"I rent a lot of my gear out for rentals as a sound reinforcement company. see..."

and posted those pics of shelves full of roadcases so I was just surprised by that. So is that stuff all yours. Yes or no?

I'm not trying to impress, anyone robo, despite what you may think. Robo, I have more gear than you would believe.

• Members

Thats cool! Good spread of amps. Last year I bought ALOT of guitars and some pedals. This year I am trying to focus on amps. I've got a well rounded guitar collection (except for the es-175, Travis Bean and 1922 Gibson acoustic I want) but my amps are lacking. So far I have just got the Dr.Z, ordered a couple custom amps from a friend and reserved a Sound City (they aren't quite ready to sell but almost). I really want a Bandmaster, Ac-30 type amp, and a Two Rock. We'll see what I wind up with.

Archived