The use of Equipment, putting the BS myths to rest

Zachman

• Members

I actually did see them with this monster in the 70's.

I grew up in the Bay Area (NorCal) and I remeber when they stopped using this thing the speaker cabinets were being sold.

so many local cats had 1x12's and 1x 15's from this thing.

Yup... That sound system was designed by the guys that later designed Alembic guitars

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember hearing that he used a Macintosh Amp (Tube?Solid State?)

What was his amp set up?

His setup was:

2 Fender Twin heads without the power tubes

A Macintosh tube power amp

A speaker cab w/ 3 JBL K120's

He had a couple of pedals in his rack that the twins were in, a MuTron, MXR Phase 90, a couple of other things and the guitar ran from his pickups to the pedals back to his guitar and than back to the amp, so he could access things from his guitar. The guitar w/ the tiger had a send/return on it.

The above PA rig time frame, I'm not sure what he was using but think he was using the same 2 twins, and I think was going straight through the PA, w/ speakers behind each of the players.

• Members
Great clip! My GAS for this has increased yet again.

Yeah, I have to agree to a degree. I think there are a lot of older analog-only cats here that are still resistant to change. They really seem to dislike multi-FXs of any sort and hate rack gear. Ironically, I bet every studio they record in has the exact same pieces of gear they despise and call "digital" as if thats some sort of bad word. They would love and worship an Axe-FX if you put it in a big pedal housing, took away the display and added a bunch of knobs. I think for many of them, its appearance over performance with a lot of the gear. If it looks vintage and hand-painted, its good. If it looks like it was made anywhere near a factory, its cheap or bad. I don't care what anyone says, I'd take an AXE-FX over a bunch of noisy stomps in a chain any day.

• Members

Yes, ^^^ Some guys do have what seems to be everything including the kitchen sink, in their rigs. Perhaps even a coffee thermos. Though, sdresdre, perhaps you may wish to start your own thread regarding the use of those things in the OJ forum.

• Members

so that stuff is all yours?

The dude lives in Hawaii so Im sure there is a need for gear when bands play shows there and cant ship their gear out into the middle of the pacific. You could make a decent business out of renting marshall heads and 4x12s to guys who need an amp for the night.

• Members
The dude lives in Hawaii so Im sure there is a need for gear when bands play shows there and cant ship their gear out into the middle of the pacific. You could make a decent business out of renting marshall heads and 4x12s to guys who need an amp for the night.

You got it... :thu:

Archived