Speakers: what do you like and what makes your ears sad?

HeartfeltDawn

• Members

I stuck an Eminence Swamp Thang in my Blues Jr and the improvement is night and day from the Jensen C12-N that was in it. Lots more clear low end and some nice added clean headroom for my pedalzz.

I just put the same speaker in my little Traynor ycv 20 whatta rush!!!!!!!! it fits the sound perfect,,nice and chimey with a damn good bottm end!!

:thu:

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Generally here in HCFX there isn't much speaker discussion which surprises me considering the range of speakers available. So this thread is all for your likes and dislikes. I'll start off here:

Celestion Blue - if you buy one new, you won't be impressed. Broken in, it sounds superb. All the lovely chime a man could want.

Weber Silver Bell - I picked up a 30 watt ceramic Silver Bell this week for

• Members

I'm very happy with the Fanes in my Hiwatt cab. They are delicious. As posted above they are shockingly rich in bass, but that really works for them.

I also really like the Celestion 12" that is in my old WEM combo amp. I dunno what Celestion it is, but it's stock from the 70s somewhere and sounds great.

I don't like the stock speakers whatever they are in modern regular old Marshall cabs. I'm not sure if it's just my Hiwatts though - whatever it is, they do not play nice together and sound piercing, which is not the Hiwatt way.

• Members

Like: my G12t-75s in my JCM 900 4x12. Delicious, delicious, low end.

Hellatone 60 loaded avatar 2x12. Sounds awesome with some amps, {censored}ty with others.

Dislike: a lot of Jensens (that I've played). Just meh.

newer celestion speakers. Disgusting.

• Members

I understand why the V30 is so popular, because it does cut through the mix, but alone it is definitely on my dislike side. Even in a band there are speakers that still cut without the harshness.

There are lots of speakers I like, but for one reason or another I got rid of. These are those:

Eminence Texas Heat

G12T-100

Weber Michigan

G12T-75

Keepers:

Eminence Li'l Texas

WGS British Lead

G12K-85

G12K-100

G12H-30

Relic 30 (special run of V30 w/o the mid-hump)

Eminence P50E

Dislikes:

V30

Most stock speakers on cheaper combo amps (especially peavey)

I'm sure there are more, but it's been a while..

• Members

Wow necro thread. But it's kind of an important thread for this forum, as speakers will make or break an amp and without amps effects a useless.

Likes: broken in vintage 30's are probably my absolute favorite speaker. Followed by Mesa black shadows. I have a no name closed back 2x12 with eminence Texas heats in it and they sound awesome with higher wattage amps pushing them.

Dislikes: stock fender speakers, jensens, peavey sheffields, celestian G50's and 75's

• Members

I want to put something with better low end in my ampeg. I have to be really careful because the tubes hang down behind the speaker, so clearance is really tight. I'm thinking an Eminence Texas Rex or Swamp Thang.

What speaker is in it now?

You could always go with a Neo speaker - they have tiny magnets and are really light. I have a couple of Eminence Li'l Texas speakers that are neo and I really like them. They're pretty dark, but they're really tight and articulate. Playing high wattage/high gain stuff is killer through them. Really cool speaker. You could try the neo magnets that celestion makes if the "darker" flavor of the Li'l Texas doesn't appeal.

• Members

What speaker is in it now?

You could always go with a Neo speaker - they have tiny magnets and are really light. I have a couple of Eminence Li'l Texas speakers that are neo and I really like them. They're pretty dark, but they're really tight and articulate. Playing high wattage/high gain stuff is killer through them. Really cool speaker. You could try the neo magnets that celestion makes if the "darker" flavor of the Li'l Texas doesn't appeal.

the stock one in the superjet. It's ampeg branded, idk. I want clarity with more fat punchy low end. I feel like it dies out a little bit down low.

• Members

Just brought the amp into the shop for some mods and repairs. Hot Rod DeVille that I'm dropping two Warehouse Veteran 30s in. I really hope I'll like them. Stock speakers were "eh".

Gonna update this and say that these speaker are great on the DeVille!! They're great for my cleans.

G12-65 in my JCM800... :rawk:

• Members

LIKE: Naylor Special Design 1040 - Modern-day jensen reproductions with better low-end and great chime. Favorite speaker for fender amps.

DISLIKE: Vintage 30's. I don't like the frequency response nor how they break up.

• Members

I like the speaker thats in my princeton.

I hate my ac30 and twin speakers.

I love the speakers in my drz 2x12. I believe its a v30 g12h30 combo going on there.

I need 2 weber blue alnico's stat!

2 years later.

still like the princetons speaker

ac30 has 2 weber alnico blues. superb, holy crap sounds amazing. solid low end, hi end crunchyness, and the mids are lush and don't have that harsh earbleeding tone

marshall 4x12 w/ 25w greenbacks. my other favorite combo. just pure awesomeness for a speaker. loud, warm, thick, and crunchy

The drz 2x12 is a bit bassy, more the enclosure than the v30/g12h30 combo. its a nice combo. my last choice now.

all that said. I run both the ac30/blues & jcm800/marshall greenbacks at teh same time. gets all of the best of the best

• Members

You liked Blues but thought that V30's were too harsh? I had the exact opposite experience. I almost can't play my AC15 sometimes since the Blue hurts my ears, but I always liked my V30 in my Avatar cab.
:idk:

What model is your Vox, one of the Custom Classics?

The Vintage 30 in a Cornford Carrera = horrible in every way and the only speaker-amp combination to give me a headache when playing.

• Members

The Jensen Tornado is a neo speaker and it's impressed me. It's not got the greatest character out there but it handles most applications pretty well.

dislikes: carrying 70's ampeg v2 cab with 4 of said speakers.

I've got a Fender 12F (rebranded EVM 12) in my Princeton Reverb II and it weighs a ton... I don't even want to think about what a hassle lugging a 4X12 filled with them would be like. :eekphil: Great sounding speakers though. Loud and efficient with tons of power handling. Not for the faint of heart, or those who like it quiet, or those who are looking for lots of breakup from their speakers though.

I love my Weber Blue Dog AlNiCo. Great choice for a Vox IMO.

The reissue Jensen C10R in my '71 Princeton Amp surprised me. I had heard lots of "meh" reports about some of the Jensen reissues, but I really like the sound of that speaker in that amp.

Archived