Speakers: what do you like and what makes your ears sad?

HeartfeltDawn

• Members

Celestion Blue - if you buy one new, you won't be impressed. Broken in, it sounds superb. All the lovely chime a man could want.

Dislikes

Celestion Vintage 30 - evil. No speaker has hurt my ears as much as this one. Absolute {censored}. The fact it sounded like {censored} in a Cornford Carrera loaded with Mullards makes it even worse.

here's where it gets funny.

these two are very similar sounding speakers to me :lol:

celestion originally created the V30 as a high powered replacement of the blue

same scenario with the V30, let it break it, for a long time, with a lot of power. Sweet sounding speaker with awesome breakup that won't blow like a blue.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Really like:

Celestion G12K-100
Celestion G12H-30
Eminence Tonker
Celestion V12-60
Celestion G10N-40

Often dislike,but really like in "right' application:

Eminence Governor
Celestion Vintage 30
Celestion G12T-100
Jensen MOD-70
EVM12L
Celestion V10-40

Ed

• Members

looking back on this one, here are some new favourites:

2x12 greenbacks (probably 20w each), i got a 2x12 with vintage greenbacks and It made my old champ sound so amazing as well as my trainwreck clone.

I heard a few 2x12 with celestion blues and they sound amazing.

• Members

Tell me more about the Michigans. I've heard a few people on TGP suggest the Chicago and Michigan speakers as replacement speakers on a JC-120. I'm imagining something clean and pretty loud.

It's supposed to be Weber's 100 watt version of an EV12L. I've only heard those, but I've never played one. The Michigan is very flat (like a 12L) and very clean. It doesn't break up easily and is very true.

I have to admit that I wasn't "impressed" with it, but it definitely did the job. I guess I just like speaker with a bit more character, especially the G12H30 and the G12K100.

• Members
I like these, they kick ass.

lg_G12H.jpg

I want four, but cannot afford..... makes me wish I only had a 2x12.
:(

I like those too. I've got one paired with a celestion blue in my ac30 and it's yum.

Actually I've got a bit of a dillema at the moment; I prefer my weber blue dog to my celestion blue, but the weber gets drowned out by the g12h30. So should I replace the g12h30 with a weber silver bell? that's the subject of my pondering. It'd also have the benefit of lowering the amp's volume a little...

• Members
my celestion golds sound wonderful,most articulate speakers I've ever heard

my pre-rola greenbacks,sound huge when over-driven,par excellence for teh riffin :thu:

DISLIKES

vintage 30's FTL...they sound like a chisel to the ear :mad:

• Members

AC30tb and JCM800 are both using Greenbacks and they sound great to me :thu: really want to try Blues in the AC30 but I've heard bad things about newer ones

Didn't think V30s would get so much hate, I had some in a 2x12 cab with an Orange OR120 and they sounded great, that said I'm not much of a speaker connoisseur and usually stick with stock ;p

• Members

Didn't think V30s would get so much hate, I had some in a 2x12 cab with an Orange OR120 and they sounded great, that said I'm not much of a speaker connoisseur and usually stick with stock ;p

Well Orange clearly think they work with their amps or they would put something else in their cabs. I think that's the thing about this whole thread, some amps sound good with some speakers and not others, that doesn't mean the speakers don't sound good though, they might sound great with a different amp.

• Members
here's where it gets funny.

these two are very similar sounding speakers to me
:lol:

celestion originally created the V30 as a high powered replacement of the blue

same scenario with the V30, let it break it, for a long time, with a lot of power. Sweet sounding speaker with awesome breakup that won't blow like a blue.

This ^^ +1 :thu:

cheers,
Ian

• Members
Ian, what do you use the Silver Bell 15 with? For the future, I'm thinking of running one amp with a Blue in the amp and a 1x12" cab running the Silver Bell 30 I have. I think that'd be a good tonal mix.

Sorry I never got back to you 2 years ago. :facepalm:

I liked the Silver Bell 15 paired with a Celestion Blue in 2 x 12" combos of the Voxy flavor - in my case, it was a Bad Cat Trem Cat head with 2 x 12" cab.

cheers,
Ian

• Members
Well Orange clearly think they work with their amps or they would put something else in their cabs. I think that's the thing about this whole thread, some amps sound good with some speakers and not others, that doesn't mean the speakers don't sound good though, they might sound great with a different amp.

it was actually my orange cab that i pulled the v30's out of,the golds are way nicer! :thu:

• Members

Like:
Mesa V30, sounded awesome with almost every amp I used them with.
EV 12L, favorite speaker by far, love it in my thiele.
Fryette P50E, good even response, sounds good with my Ultra lead.

Dislike:
Celestion G12K100, sounded terrible with all the amps I had except for a JVM.

• Members

Dislike:

Celestion G12K100, sounded terrible with all the amps I had except for a JVM.

what other amps did you use it with? I love that thing. It's got great mids and a tight bottom end with everything that I've tried it with: carvin x100b, mesa single rec, triple rec, peavey classic 30, carvin dcm150, jet city 20 watt...

AND (to all of those that say that Orange uses V30's) - this speaker was pulled out of an orange cab of some kind. I wonder how many of their cabs use v30's and how many use k100's...

• Members

what other amps did you use it with? I love that thing. It's got great mids and a tight bottom end with everything that I've tried it with: carvin x100b, mesa single rec, triple rec, peavey classic 30, carvin dcm150, jet city 20 watt...

AND (to all of those that say that Orange uses V30's) - this speaker was pulled out of an orange cab of some kind. I wonder how many of their cabs use v30's and how many use k100's...

I've used it with a Mesa Roadster, Mesa Mark iii, Peavey 5150, Fryette Ultra lead, CAA PT100, Bogner Uber TJ and a Marshall JVM 410. With the JVM it sounded full and balanced, but with everything else it sounded kind of dull with "woofy" low end in my opinion.

Archived