Stacking Chorusing Effects

petejt

• Members

I run an MXR Flanger into a Small Clone then into a Poly Chorus.

All three on at once is a bit pointless, but the MXR and the PC together do some mad things.

I sometimes set the SC to full speed and run it into a really slow PC setting, sounds pretty nuts, just bent metallic notes all over the place.

• Members

In general, I don't run chorus effects in series. The exception to this rule is using a Roland SDD-320 Dimension D after another chorus to add its spatial quality to the nature of the other chorus - usually one that is more swirly, e.g., Red Witch Medusa, ensemble of Roland RS-505 Paraphonic, Analogman Bi-Chorus, Roland SDX-330 Dimensional Expander, and so on. The Diamond Halo would likely work well here too given its nature, but I have not tried it that way.

I never use chorus before an amp or in an amp's effect loop. For me, chorus is applied to a mic'd cab or amp emu. Again, I do have an exception to that way of working in that a Boss DC-2 Dimension C sounds the business with some clean amps.

I do like running chorus units in parallel for wide-stereo synth pads. Especially with my Roland SH-2, the Bi-Chorus for the left channel with the Medusa for the right channel is just fantastic.

One thing I think is very important when using chorus with some sounds is to use some form of band-limiting, such that the chorus only processes the highs, and so on. This is hugely helpful in getting chorus to sit well in a mix, and it preserves fundamental for things like bass.

It is typical to say that analog chorus wins vs. digital chorus, and in most cases, this is true. That said, the digital chorus that can be had from the Roland SDX-330 Dimensional Expander and Eventide H8000FW sound wonderful, and represent a benchmark in chorus tone IMHO.

On the pedal end of things, the Analogman Bi-Chorus, Red Witch Medusa, and Diamond Halo are all winners in my book.

Good chorus tones can be had from dual/treble delay line devices like the Symetrix 606 and Korg SDD-3300. The latter, in particular, can do a brilliant Solina ensemble emulation.

cheers,

Ian

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I found a pretty cool sound the other day.

Ibanez Talman w/ Lipsticks > Crybaby 535Q > MXR M-86 > Boss CE-3 > Boss CE-20 > Holy Grail Reverb Plus> Blackheart Little Giant.

Sounded pretty trippy.

Any clips?

• Members

um.. i ran a old mij chorus set on 100 wet (thus vibrato) and into a lofiloopjunky on full vibrato and looped that. if you got to the SPC ECO myspace, its the main riff on "another day" i ve done it a few times. 2 vibe pedals=wild

Listened to the song. Its freaking awesome!!! I think I'm gonna have to pick up a copy.

• Members

I've been tinkering with this sort of thing the last couple of days- I just got my Nova Modulator in the post, so I've been trying out all sorts of chorus/flanger/phaser/trem/vibrato combos.

I found a pretty cool sound with the tri-chorus running in to a flanger. I had the tri-chorus set up pretty wide and lush (don't remember exact settings) and the flanger set with the feedback fairly high but the speed slow, so you get occasional ray-gun, jet plane noises interspersed with the general modulated dreaminess.

Using a volume pedal and a 400ms-ish delay with that lot (in stereo...) gets you a nice synth-y pad sound.

IMO, chaining two chorus/flangers is quite a good way to mask the repetitive, cyclical nature of un-subtle uses of modulation.

Archived