Stacking Chorusing Effects

petejt

• Members

I've done CE-2 into a Laney World Series stereo chorus head, with a Digitech rack chorus in the loop.

Mr. Wylde would have crapped himself.

I think I would have too :eek::love:

Hey do you know what he used to record No More Tears?

• Members

I think I would have too
:eek::love:

Hey do you know what he used to record
No More Tears
?

He should have been using :

LP Custom EMG81/85->Morley Wah->SD-1->Boss Super Chorus->JCM800 w/JBL's. (Did he have the Rotovibe from Pride and Glory, too?)

I prefer the No Rest for the Wicked sounds that he got out of the Cracked Mirror LP (498R/EMG81)->same pedals->Metaltronix :love:

• Members

He should have been using :

LP Custom EMG81/85->Morley Wah->SD-1->Boss Super Chorus->JCM800 w/JBL's. (Did he have the Rotovibe from Pride and Glory, too?)

I prefer the No Rest for the Wicked sounds that he got out of the Cracked Mirror LP (498R/EMG81)->same pedals->Metaltronix
:love:

Just the one chorus pedal? I thought it was more complex than that? It was recorded in 1990/1991 so I guessed it was a heap of expensive studio rack gear, and since the recording sounded rather polished, as was common around that time.

• Members

Just the one chorus pedal? I thought it was more complex than that? It was recorded in 1990/1991 so I guessed it was a heap of expensive studio rack gear, and since the recording sounded rather polished, as was common around that time.

Yeah, I know...

It sounds like there is Lexicon reverb all over the album, and the delay on the guitar on Zombie Stomp.

I might be remembering his live setup.

Used to subscribe to GFTPM, Guitar World, Guitar Player, Guitar Gear....

Lots of periodic reading in the late 80's/early 90's.

GFTPM used to have lessons from Satch, and "How to sound like x with basic pedals, using these settings...

Hell, I guess it was like this forum, but in the BBS/mailing days.

• Members

Yeah, I know...

It sounds like there is Lexicon reverb all over the album, and the delay on the guitar on Zombie Stomp.

I might be remembering his live setup.

Used to subscribe to GFTPM, Guitar World, Guitar Player, Guitar Gear....

Lots of periodic reading in the late 80's/early 90's.

GFTPM used to have lessons from Satch, and "How to sound like
x
with basic pedals, using these settings...

Hell, I guess it was like this forum, but in the BBS/mailing days.

ah ok, thanks

• Members

Enjoy'd

Indeed. The Chameleons were a fantastic band.

I run a Visual Sound V2 Liquid Chorus and a BBE Mind Bender back to back to enhance the overall chorus effect. I also use a Flanger before the 2 Chorus pedals, but I sometimes throw a reverb effect between the Flanger and Choruses to give it the sound an ethereal wash.

• Members

I'm no effects guru and I've never actually tried it, but seems to me parallel and then re-combined would be the way to go. Cascading would basically chorus a chorused tone. Parallel would give you two different choruses and then recombine them resulting in something really thick. I have a pedal that splits the signal in two, creating two effects loops and recombines them. I have tried with two distortions and two tremolos and it works great. Doing two trems in series doesn't work worth a {censored}, but in series it's really interesting. Two distortions in series just gives you more distortion, but two in parallel makes for a very complex sound. I would think the same would hold true for chorus, or any other duplicate pedals.

http://www.runoffgroove.com/splitter-blend.html

• Members

In general, I don't run chorus effects in series. The exception to this rule is using a Roland SDD-320 Dimension D after another chorus to add its spatial quality to the nature of the other chorus - usually one that is more swirly, e.g., Red Witch Medusa, ensemble of Roland RS-505 Paraphonic, Analogman Bi-Chorus, Roland SDX-330 Dimensional Expander, and so on. The Diamond Halo would likely work well here too given its nature, but I have not tried it that way.

I never use chorus before an amp or in an amp's effect loop. For me, chorus is applied to a mic'd cab or amp emu. Again, I do have an exception to that way of working in that a Boss DC-2 Dimension C sounds the business with some clean amps.

I do like running chorus units in parallel for wide-stereo synth pads. Especially with my Roland SH-2, the Bi-Chorus for the left channel with the Medusa for the right channel is just fantastic.

One thing I think is very important when using chorus with some sounds is to use some form of band-limiting, such that the chorus only processes the highs, and so on. This is hugely helpful in getting chorus to sit well in a mix, and it preserves fundamental for things like bass.

It is typical to say that analog chorus wins vs. digital chorus, and in most cases, this is true. That said, the digital chorus that can be had from the Roland SDX-330 Dimensional Expander and Eventide H8000FW sound wonderful, and represent a benchmark in chorus tone IMHO.

On the pedal end of things, the Analogman Bi-Chorus, Red Witch Medusa, and Diamond Halo are all winners in my book.

Good chorus tones can be had from dual/treble delay line devices like the Symetrix 606 and Korg SDD-3300. The latter, in particular, can do a brilliant Solina ensemble emulation.

cheers,

Ian

i am truly, truly jealous, you bastard :love::love::love:

dimension D and SDX-330 are pure awesomeness....and symetrix 606 is a well kept secret...shhhh.......

• Members

I'm no effects guru and I've never actually tried it, but seems to me parallel and then re-combined would be the way to go. Cascading would basically chorus a chorused tone. Parallel would give you two different choruses and then recombine them resulting in something really thick. I have a pedal that splits the signal in two, creating two effects loops and recombines them. I have tried with two distortions and two tremolos and it works great. Doing two trems in series doesn't work worth a {censored}, but in series it's really interesting. Two distortions in series just gives you more distortion, but two in parallel makes for a very complex sound. I would think the same would hold true for chorus, or any other duplicate pedals.

http://www.runoffgroove.com/splitter-blend.html

interesting :cool: , thanks.

Archived