OT: which of the newest game consoles is the best?

RoboPimp

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Do you have a hi-def TV?

If not, I'd recommend that before even thinking about buying a next gen system.

I don't have an HD tv and I don't care, I bought a ps3 to PLAY games, not look at them... even if you don't have HD there's still games you can't get on previous gen systems, and even in standard def they still look a hell of a lot better than games on my ps2... pretty graphics are (and should always be) icing on the cake... there's nothing that will stop you from enjoying little big planet because you're running in standard def.

• Members

Is there no Grand Turismo on PS3 right now? I'm amazed if that was true, I always assumed there was. Last time I played though was a long time, on the original playstation:facepalm:

theres GT5 Prologue which has a few cars and a few tracks, but since then they are not only revamping the entire lineup but they also got licensing for NASCAR and the World Rally Championship, so although its been a long wait its still gonna be sick. i think it comes out in March in Japan FWIW

• Members

I don't have an HD tv and I don't care, I bought a ps3 to PLAY games, not look at them... even if you don't have HD there's still games you can't get on previous gen systems, and even in standard def they still look a hell of a lot better than games on my ps2... pretty graphics are (and should always be) icing on the cake... there's nothing that will stop you from enjoying little big planet because you're running in standard def.

I agree, but with the price of hi def TV's being at almost the price of the console, it makes better sense to go for the TV first, to get the best of what a next gen system has to offer. Its more than just graphics, I found it to be easier on my eyes when I finally upgraded from standard def.

But if its for his kids, they probably won't care.

• Members

For one, if you have a little patience, you can buy a regular hard drive, upload a program onto it, and then load it into the 360 and get an assload of storage space for like $50. In that case, I'd get the Arcade cheap off Criagslist, (there was one on mine refurb'd for $100) and load the drive into it.

But here's what I say. Get the Wii for the kid/wife/drunk friends, hax it for all the games you could want, and introduce the older one to what the big kids play - PC. PC buries consoles in the ground when it comes to hardcore gaming, online is free, you can expand on it, all but the online games are easily hacked, and of course, hey, it's a computer, and you need one anyway. Take your current PC, provided it's not ancient, and upgrade it with newegg parts.

It's what I did. Orange Box and Fallout 3 FTW. Halo's for newbs.

• Members

Wii doesn't have near as many games but if you want to get some exercise it's great. Most reliable of all the console systems.

Xbox360 - has the most games by far but has the red ring of death problem on most of the older models. They say they've fixed it but I haven't heard any comments about the new ones yet. I had one that went out and fixed it by taking out the heatsink and reseating it with new thermal heatsink paste of better quality and taking off the X-clamps and using screws that fit into the heatsink along with plastic washers in between the heatsink and the circuit board to keep it from short circuiting anything. Now it works like a charm. You can buy a used one in good shape for real cheap and get a red ring of death kit on Amazon for $10. Mine's been fixed for several weeks now; no problems so far.

PS3 - expensive but the graphics are excellent and there are some great games for the system. The drawback is you can't play the PS2 games on the newer models (this is what several people have told me). There is an older version that you could play both PS2 and PS3 games on it. I think Sony figured they could get people to buy both systems instead of just one. After I got burned by the PS2 disk read error problem twice just after the warranty expired I decided not to buy any more PS consoles. A friend of mine's son has the PS3; that's how I know about it.

• Members

For one, if you have a little patience, you can buy a regular hard drive, upload a program onto it, and then load it into the 360 and get an assload of storage space for like $50. In that case, I'd get the Arcade cheap off Criagslist, (there was one on mine refurb'd for $100) and load the drive into it.

But here's what I say. Get the Wii for the kid/wife/drunk friends, hax it for all the games you could want, and introduce the older one to what the big kids play - PC. PC buries consoles in the ground when it comes to hardcore gaming, online is free, you can expand on it, all but the online games are easily hacked, and of course, hey, it's a computer, and you need one anyway. Take your current PC, provided it's not ancient, and upgrade it with newegg parts.

It's what I did. Orange Box and Fallout 3 FTW. Halo's for newbs.

in general, this is pretty terrible advice... MS is blocking third party drives with firmware updates and have banned around 1,000,000 users from online play for having hacked 360s. as for pc, while a better controller experience for shooters, pc gaming is for chumps. there's no way you can buy a pc for the same price of a console ($299) and have it still be a viable gaming system able to play the latest games in the next six months. pc hardware you buy now will not last through the current gens lifespan, you'll be constantly updating hardware to play new releases (you may be able to play with a lot of the updated visualizations turned of and a little choppiness at best). pc gaming is more open to hacks (great if you're into that, not so great when you have to deal with cheaters), and quite often pc versions get delayed, if they get released at all.

leave pc gaming for wow nerds if you don't want to have to constantly spend money upgrading.

• Members

in general, this is pretty terrible advice... MS is blocking third party drives with firmware updates and have banned around 1,000,000 users from online play for having hacked 360s. as for pc, while a better controller experience for shooters, pc gaming is for chumps. there's no way you can buy a pc for the same price of a console ($299) and have it still be a viable gaming system able to play the latest games in the next six months. pc hardware you buy now will not last through the current gens lifespan, you'll be constantly updating hardware to play new releases (you may be able to play with a lot of the updated visualizations turned of and a little choppiness at best). pc gaming is more open to hacks (great if you're into that, not so great when you have to deal with cheaters), and quite often pc versions get delayed, if they get released at all.

leave pc gaming for wow nerds if you don't want to have to constantly spend money upgrading.

as someone who used to play PC gaming, im with this one. maybe if you found that one game that had alot of fans but could still be played on older systems it was good (ex. Counter Strike Source) but keeping up with every release can get taxing

Archived