New ZVex monster pedal - what IS it? Clues inside...

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

then I'm guessing some kind of organ divider circuit with control over at least 12 pitches volume and the other 4 knobs are for tracking control or fuzz?

maybe its a stand alone dual 6 step sequencer (chain-able up to 12) with tap tempo, rate, portamento, and stuff possibly covering all time signatures?

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's an analog polyphonic re-synthesizer. It takes the input signal and puts it into a s-trigger that spits it out as a square wave. This then goes into a phase-locked loop to detect the pitch and sync an oscillator to it. The output of the oscillator is pitched to the 12 half step divisions. Each of the 12 knobs on the top box are the volume controls for each pitch. They either play all at once and make a chord depending on what knobs are up, or they can be sequenced to arpeggiate the chord. The four knobs on the bottom are for Sequence Speed, Dry Level, Squarewave Level, and Pitched Level. If you have only the Squarewave level up, it's just a fuzz. The two small toggles determine whether it's sequenced, and whether the sequence is "free time" controlled by Sequence Speed, or tap tempo.

Haha PLEASE tell me you started working for zvex and this is insider info... or you could just build it...

i'm guessing its you but off subject my fourbanger ROCKS!!!

• Members

"Holy Zack":

FX:
1.: Trem
2.: Phase
3.: Flange
4.: Delay
5.: Pitch
6.: Wah
+ Distortion

upper 6 knobs: depth/intensity
upper (red) LEDs: on/off

lower 6 knobs: rate / time / detune / frequency
lower (yellow) LEDs: rate/amount

left stompswitch: on/bypass
right stomswitch: cycle thru 1 - 6

lower 4 knobs:
1.: blend dry/wet (individually stored presets for 1 - 6)
2.: bass
3.: treble
4.: distortion (before 1 - 6)

FX: 1 - 6 = Spin-based digital
Dist: MosFet-based analogue

"Vex-Stain" analoguely embedded diggy-multi... :idea:

• Members

It's an analog polyphonic re-synthesizer. It takes the input signal and puts it into a s-trigger that spits it out as a square wave. This then goes into a phase-locked loop to detect the pitch and sync an oscillator to it. The output of the oscillator is pitched to the 12 half step divisions. Each of the 12 knobs on the top box are the volume controls for each pitch. They either play all at once and make a chord depending on what knobs are up, or they can be sequenced to arpeggiate the chord. The four knobs on the bottom are for Sequence Speed, Dry Level, Squarewave Level, and Pitched Level. If you have only the Squarewave level up, it's just a fuzz. The two small toggles determine whether it's sequenced, and whether the sequence is "free time" controlled by Sequence Speed, or tap tempo.

Since zack ain't making it, you ought to. That sounds awesome.

• Members

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=7160688&posted=1#post7160688

In the original prototype we had to move that LED a bit with a new board design, hence the bigger hole. It's the only thing that's not symmetrical... I'll tell you exactly what that LED is. It's a fuse indicator that tells you when the circuit exceeds 100mA, which could happen under certain circumstances.

:confused:

• Members

DAMN I feel so dumb right now...

not that I should know what it is... but its killing me...

if someone guesses correctly are you going to acknowledge it or leave us guessing?

One person described one aspect of it very succinctly in one post one one page of this thread with a single word buried in his post. I was stunned that nobody noticed at all.

Wonder is one of the most important things, afaic. We see a new/old pedal we've never seen before and are instantly filled with fascination of the unknown. That's pretty much the point of this new thing. It's ugly, I admit, but there's a really good reason why it's so weird.

Archived