New ZVex monster pedal - what IS it? Clues inside...

Phil O'Keefe

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Too, the LED's on each footswitch are different colors, possibly relating to each "channel" of row of knobs on the upper module... and what's up with the stray LED off to the left?

Definitely an interesting quagmire. :confused:

I think if someone can hash out what kind of combination of such indicators would be necessary for a specific kind (or combination of) effects, there-in the riddle may be solved! :love:

• Members

I'm thinking it might be a delay with two separate banks to control intensity for each repeat in traditional Seek fashion, or it's a delay with Seek controlled modulation, or a combination of the two. Most likely I'm no where near what it actually is, but that's the best I can do.

I don't know how the colors tie in Devi, but in my world (supposing this is, for the sake of argument, actually an EQ of some kind), green is usually "signal present", yellow is a caution (approaching clipping) and red is clipping - or as we used to joke back in the Blonde Vinyl days, "red light means signal present". :lol:

• Members

LED's:

Top Row: All six, red. Six knobs in this row.

Middle Row: All six, yellow. Again, six knobs.

Bottom Row: Red / yellow / green / yellow / red. Only four knobs in this row.

Plus a larger LED (far left, near toggle switch), plus a yellow (L) and red (R) LED per each footswitch.

Too, that "big led" might actually be a small one that's in a bigger hole... prototype and all, may have has the wrong sized hole. Looks like a smaller LED.

And I can't help but think the symetrical bottom row of LED's might be some kind of "peak" indicator... at least that is the traditional use of green - yellow - red in sound applications as far as indicators go. May not even have anything to do with the knobs above them. :idk:

• Members

Dude. Would be crazy if it was a seek delay, but also it seeked in STEREO, and the knobs on the bottom somehow controlled where the sound was going left to right in the sequence, thus you could "see" where it was in the stereo field via those symmetrical LED's. :eek:

• Members

Dude. Would be crazy if it was a seek delay, but also it seeked in STEREO, and the knobs on the bottom somehow controlled where the sound was going left to right in the sequence, thus you could "see" where it was in the stereo field via those symmetrical LED's.
:eek:

Or if--building off phil's EQ idea--the repeats were sequenced in terms of varying Eq. So first repeat is real bassy, next is trebly, etc. Or one knob is vol, the other tone--for each of the first 6 six repeats.

• Members

I think Phil is right about it being an EQ at its base. Which would be why zvex would say Phil would be especially interested (Phil obviously known most for studio recording expertise).

The question is, what would zvex want to do with an EQ?

a seek eq would be kind of weird and probably not useable to anyone, unless we're not talking about just clean eq, but other effects like filters/phase/fuzz/vibrato etc etc which are in the circuit and have enough knobs to make them versatile in their own right reacting to the eq changes in chaotic and/or melodic fashion.

I dunno.

But I'm interested in this one! I have a feeling this will be the most interesting zvex pedal in a long time, and hopefully very useful.

• Members

I noticed the dual rows of LEDs, and also the color sequence on the bottom row.

I am guessing he has two of the three boards in the top "module" of the case, and the third in the bottom one, with the two top boards with "inverted" layouts from each other.

I still have no idea what it is. Someone said EQ, and that kind of makes sense, but it doesn't completely "fit" either IMO.

That "someone" was me in a different thread, but I can't find it because of the search function. :cry:

• Members

It's really gotten to the point that I'm going to be unnecessarily disappointed if this doesn't turn out to be a delay, even though Vex has said nothing to even remotely suggest that it will be one. So I'm just going to get the hell out of this thread and wait for an official announcement.

Archived