New ZVex monster pedal - what IS it? Clues inside...

Phil O'Keefe

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God I hope it's a seek-delay... and maybe the R/Y/G/Y/R is because it's stereo with a set of controls for each side and they're signal/clipping indicators for left and right? Seems like an awful waste of hype to make a stereo only pedal though, considering how few people run in stereo (I would be psyched out of my mind... but that's me).

While it's possible that there is additional I/O that we can't see, I suspect from what I can see that this is a mono in, mono out pedal.

• Members

if its not some kind of effect with an added sequencer

then I'm guessing some kind of organ divider circuit with control over at least 12 pitches volume and the other 4 knobs are for tracking control or fuzz?

doesn't explain the LEDs tho

perhaps a HEX fuzz that uses a divided pickup?

or a pedal the applies fuzz to 4 individual eq bands sequentially?

maybe its a stand alone dual 6 step sequencer (chain-able up to 12) with tap tempo, rate, portamento, and stuff possibly covering all time signatures?

and why would each individual control on the lower box have a indicator?

I think the visual panning idea is interesting, sequenced panner?

cartman.jpg

I'm just asking questions

• Members

um, he said I'd love it. me, SEI!

dont steal ma thundah!

"Seif, I'd love to, but the guy I want to have do the editing/graphics is on a big project and won't be free for a few weeks, and I'm absolutely swamped with my new exciting thingie which I'll be announcing in a month or two. The new pedal has three circuit boards, 16 pots, 20 LEDs, 4 switches, and is nothing like anything I've ever done before. And it's keeping me busy pretty much day and night. I just got home from the shop (9:40PM) and received another email saying I have to head back, go over parts lists again to verify everything and sign more faxes to keep the damned thing on schedule. I probably won't get out of there until midnight again.

You'd better enjoy this next product, that's all I can say. I've been hacking away at this thing for the better part of a year, off and on, and intensively for the last 3 months."

the whole thing was written to me, thus i own the rights to this info! MUHAHA

ok, off to the can

• Members

I think it's significant that he's using such huge knobs (unless he's just doing that because there's sooo much real estate to cover on those two enclosures). It's probably something designed to be tweaked more than the seek pedals.

I suspect the RYGYR LEDs indicate two channels of simultaneous activity. Either they correspond to two separate footswitchable channels (unlikely, though, because why wouldn't there be a second green LED), or maybe the effect has something to do with monitoring input and output in real time- compression (not very Vexy), delay, reverse, synth...

I kind of wonder if the two enclosures will actually even be attached to each other. With something that seems to demand tweaking on the fly, perhaps Zach is planning for the top enclosure to be a "control" box. Maybe something that could be attached to a mic stand, easily within reach, and then connect externally to the footswitch?

Who knows? Maybe he just decided to make the prototype with existing materials and then, once perfected, machine a larger enclosure.

Archived