New ZVex monster pedal - what IS it? Clues inside...

Phil O'Keefe

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Zvex is honestly going to build and sell a product that uses two small boxes attached at the sides to make a larger enclosure? He could probably have the same larger box made by the people that make the smaller for lower cost per enclosure and significantly reduced machining costs for the final product.

Its not april 1 though...

• Members
Zvex is honestly going to build and sell a product that uses two small boxes attached at the sides to make a larger enclosure? He could probably have the same larger box made by the people that make the smaller for lower cost per enclosure and significantly reduced machining costs for the final product.

Its not april 1 though...

the two conjoined boxes obviously have something to do with the concept of the pedal. and the fact that the top box is upside down :idk:

• Members

the two conjoined boxes obviously have something to do with the concept of the pedal. and the fact that the top box is upside down
:idk:

Pedal enclosures have slightly sloped sides. The top box is upside down so the resulting assembly will not have a pitched surface.

If anything, Zack is building in two small enclosures because building in a small box is his thing and he doesn't want to build in a larger box, even if it makes more sense.

Its entirely possible that there is a reason other than that to use two small boxes, and if there is, this must be some ridiculous new effect that couldn't work in a single large box. My breath is, of course, baited.

• Members

Pedal enclosures have slightly sloped sides. The top box is upside down so the resulting assembly will not have a pitched surface.

If anything, Zack is building in two small enclosures because building in a small box is his thing and he doesn't want to build in a larger box, even if it makes more sense.

Its entirely possible that there is a reason other than that to use two small boxes, and if there is, this must be some ridiculous new effect that couldn't work in a single large box. My breath is, of course, baited.

i believe the zvex boxes have straight (vertical) sides.

but he does have a thing with those enclosures.

*sigh, this is like waiting for an epic movie to come out.

i hope mr. vex delivers on this one.

That "someone" was me in a different thread, but I can't find it because of the search function.
:cry:

Credit for the EQ idea definitely belongs to you. :cool:

As I said in agreement, I could see how the controls could work for a four band parametric, but I'm not convinced that's what it is. :idk: For example, take the bottom row of LED's. If it was a level meter of some sort, you'd expect green / green / yellow / yellow / red. Here we're seeing R / Y / G / Y / R. That to me, is something similar to what you'd find on... a tuner. :lol: But I don't think it's a tuner. There are other things you can do with that sort of "center target" meter... and remember, they might not have any sort of association to each other; with each indicating something separate and independent. :idk:

Then again, maybe they're just there for fans of das blinkenlights (like me :love: ). ;):D

• Members

i believe the zvex boxes have straight (vertical) sides.

but he does have a thing with those enclosures.

*sigh, this is like waiting for an epic movie to come out.

i hope mr. vex delivers on this one.

Im looking at a zvex enclosure right now and its 1/16th wider at the bottom than it is at the top. Im just surprised by the two enclosure thing because everything Zack does has very neat clean lines and is executed very professionally. IMO, this just doesn't click with that aesthetic.

• Members

Ok, so it seems that the two foot switches probably activate those two rows of knobs independently from one another (since one is yellow and one is red). So, what sort of effect (which doesn't seem to be stereo, since we can only see one output jack) would have two independently activated sequenced channels?

It almost has to be sequenced, imo, since there's not a good reason to have one LED per knob on top otherwise.

Could it possibly be a sequenced fuzz of some kind? Sequenced voltage fuzz?

But then there's the bottom half, with that strange array of LEDs...

Hmm, maybe they are used for tuning something. There are six knobs on each row after all...

• Members
Im looking at a zvex enclosure right now and its 1/16th wider at the bottom than it is at the top. Im just surprised by the two enclosure thing because everything Zack does has very neat clean lines and is executed very professionally. IMO, this just doesn't click with that aesthetic.

Maybe the picture is just a prototype, using two small cases that were on hand?
:idk:

• Members

ah ok.

yea, all his other stuff is slick and clean.. this looks like frankenstein.

• Members

God I hope it's a seek-delay... and maybe the R/Y/G/Y/R is because it's stereo with a set of controls for each side and they're signal/clipping indicators for left and right? Seems like an awful waste of hype to make a stereo only pedal though, considering how few people run in stereo (I would be psyched out of my mind... but that's me).

Archived