Can we just pretend that HEART stopped recording before Hair Metal?

Fender&EHX4ever

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right & this attitude that only thin,pretty,young people are relevant is exactly why we have assclowns like Myllie Cyrus & Avril Lavigne..Jones brothers,ect

ZING! And very true IMO. We should listen with our ears, and with our souls, not judge music based on what our eyes tell us about look and image... but "look" and "image" is what labels use to (help) package / market / sell music, and it's still of paramount importance to the label execs.

Fat, middle aged guys have a hard time getting signed too. If your age / weight / look doesn't meet their expectations, forget about getting a major label deal - no matter HOW good your music is...

• Members

ZING! And very true IMO. We should listen with our ears, and with our souls, not judge music based on what our eyes tell us about look and image... but "look" and "image" is what labels use to (help) package / market / sell music, and it's still of paramount importance to the label execs.

Fat, middle aged guys have a hard time getting signed too. If your age / weight / look doesn't meet their expectations, forget about getting a major label deal - no matter HOW good your music is...

This is sadly true everywhere in society. Could FDR be elected president today? How about Lincoln? Doubtful in both cases. I'm just glad Heart isn't starting out now, what a loss that would have been!

• Members

"Can we just pretend that Ann Wilson stopped eating before she stopped being a fox?"

Title corrected!

They were one of the best bands of the 70's, and like a few other acts in the 80's (Cheap Trick, ZZ Top, Starship, Blue Cheer, etc), they were polished up to become desirable to the newer audiences back then and put out some pretty terrible corporate minded music. I joke about the weight, but really, I joke about fat Vince Neil, fat Vegas Elvis and balding David Lee Roth....there is something to be said about virility and youth and image in rock n' roll that has a big effect on why they're so revered.

It was their music in the 80's that dated them horribly and possibly had a negative effect of how great they were in the 70's. They KILLED on live versions like this...a great band sounding organic (some flat/ sharp vocal notes but with tons of style and feel), before they'd got overcorrected on recordings in the 80's like most other acts:

This is sadly true everywhere in society. Could FDR be elected president today?

Actually, I don't know if FDR could have been elected back when he was if the full extent of his disability was known to the public... but that was carefully concealed at the time; he often stood, wearing leg braces, at a lectern with handholds to help him, had guards / assistants carry him, had few pics taken in his wheelchair, etc. Yes, the public knew he had polio, but it wa presented in a way that was intended to show his valiant struggle to fight back and recover from it, and concealing the full extent of the long term damage. Did polio make a difference in his mental capabilities and abilities as a politician? Not a bit... but again, even then, it probably would have been harder to get elected if the general population would have known the full extent of his disabilities.

Today, it would be practically impossible. The media is far less willing to keep things under wraps / "play along" than they once were... and there is a LOT more media coverage than there was back then.

• Members

ROGER FISHER was as big an influence on my playing as ANYONE.

his tasteful and creative use of effects was HUGE to me....

one of the best guitarists of the 70s......he should have never been kicked out of Heart. they turned into a "pop" band after he was gone.

it was his fault, tho......he was married to nancy, and got caught cheating on her on tour. he regrets it to this day. and that's why there will probably NEVER be a 70s Heart reunion tour.

Nancy is currently happily married to Cameron Crowe, the producer....

Roger Fisher......he was a rock GOD. and one of the COOLEST effects laden guitarists of the 70s. almost like Andy Summers thru modded MARSHALLS :thu::thu::thu:

• Members

ROGER FISHER was as big an influence on my playing as ANYONE.

his tasteful and creative use of effects was HUGE to me....

one of the best guitarists of the 70s......he should have never been kicked out of Heart. they turned into a "pop" band after he was gone.

it was his fault, tho......he was married to nancy, and got caught cheating on her on tour. he regrets it to this day. and that's why there will probably NEVER be a 70s Heart reunion tour.

Nancy is currently happily married to Cameron Crowe, the producer....

Roger Fisher......he was a rock GOD. and one of the COOLEST effects laden guitarists of the 70s. almost like Andy Summers thru modded MARSHALLS
:thu:

I thought this was going to be where the legend of Bobby D grew into an unstoppable juggernaut of debaucherous awesome...some sordid affair pairing Ann and Nancy in a heated evening of Southern booty slap. :lol::wave:

• Members

i will tell you this for a fact, the heart concerts through the late 70's and early 80's were red hot smoking blistering rock'n'roll shows - they were {censored}ing dynamos live! same with pat benatar, there's just no concert footage that adequately captures what it was really like... of course, it's not the same as flogging to meshuggah in your basement, but still, it was pretty cool for the time...

Umm...The Pretenders are definitely more an '80s band.
:idk:

Depends on how technical you want to be about it - the first Pretenders single was released in January 1979; about three years or so after Dreamboat Annie was released. But yeah, I'd generally classify their respective debuts as being from different musical eras, with DA being more Zep meets Fleetwood Mac influenced, and the Pretenders early stuff being more punkish and early New Wave.

• Members

Great trip down memory lane. Ann's voice and Nancy's playing are just great. Those Zep covers were pretty good. I think Ann's voice is one of the finest in Rock music male or female. It is a shame that image is more important than music isn't it?

This summer a guy at TGP offered me a PRS guitar that had been owned by the lead guitarist of Heart. (Howard Lease I think) He wanted my AxeFx and few hundred dollars for it. I almost got it because the PRS people had done some custom work for Howard and custom wired the pups to his liking. I almost pulled the trigger, but another guy offered me a straight up trade and I took it. I wish I had taken the nicer axe instead though. It was the guitar everyone was buzzed about at the Experience PRS 2007 event.

Archived