Fender Jaguar VS. Fender Mustang - which do you like better?

forprescription

and where the Hell is it???
:cop:

At the moment, it's sitting on the couch in the lounge...

One of us - either Dennis or myself - lost the original bridge plate for it. I've looked all over the place here, and Dennis said he cleaned out his whole workspace, but neither one of us has been able to locate it. :( So after looking for a couple of months, I finally broke down and put a WTB post in the spam thread looking for one, and started scouring ebay in search of one. I finally found one on the bay last week and bought it. The guy should have gotten the payment today, so I will probably see the bridge by the end of next week. Then it's just a matter of refinishing it and wiring it up...

I realize I could have been working on the refinish while trying to score a new bridge plate, but I was briefly considering a replacement bridge like this one, but if I had gone that route, then I would have had to ask Dennis to do the six through the body holes and the routes for the ferrules, and if it came to that, I'd rather he did it before the refinish instead of after, so I held off on the paintwork.

I really wanted a stock bridge though, so it all worked out. I already have compensated saddles for it. I just need to order some seafoam green from Reranch, and get the replacement headstock decal and I'll have everything I need to finish it up. I've got some killer Abagail Ybarra wound pups for it, new switches, new pickguard... it's going to be a cool little Duo Sonic when I get done with it.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

At the moment, it's sitting on the couch in the lounge...

One of us - either Dennis or myself - lost the original bridge plate for it. I've looked all over the place here, and Dennis said he cleaned out his whole workspace, but neither one of us has been able to locate it.
:(
So after looking for a couple of months, I finally broke down and put a WTB post in the spam thread looking for one, and started scouring ebay in search of one. I finally found one on the bay last week and bought it. The guy should have gotten the payment today, so I will probably see the bridge by the end of next week. Then it's just a matter of refinishing it and wiring it up...

I realize I could have been working on the refinish while trying to score a new bridge plate, but I was briefly considering a replacement bridge like
this one
, but if I had gone that route, then I would have had to ask Dennis to do the six through the body holes and the routes for the ferrules, and if it came to that, I'd rather he did it before the refinish instead of after, so I held off on the paintwork.

I really wanted a stock bridge though, so it all worked out. I already have compensated saddles for it. I just need to order some seafoam green from Reranch, and get the replacement headstock decal and I'll have everything I need to finish it up. I've got some killer Abagail Ybarra wound pups for it, new switches, new pickguard... it's going to be a cool little Duo Sonic when I get done with it.

Take pics of the refinishing process! It's really fun! I'm almost finished with my Ice Metallic Blue Telecaster. Right now I'm spraying the headstock with laquer to try to cover up the bump from the decal as much as possible, then I just need to wet sand and polish it, and it will be done.

• Members

I've always thought Mustangs were the sexiest guitars ever. I've always wished they'd redesign the hardware though...

thicker body

24.75 (or whatever Gibson scale is) neck

tone rollers in place of switches

a PU switch

redesigned tremolo

regular w/b/w PG

two humbuckers, black with chrome covers

Would be pure, unadulterated win.

you need to visit warmoth. :cool:

that's the video that makes me want a mustang!

Phil glad you waited,it'll be nice to keep the original design

bridge,should look and sound amazing!

Yeah, me too. :)

BTW, I fixed your youtube video for you - you only need to enter the characters after the first = sign in the link. Hit the edit button on your post to see what I mean. :wave:

• Members

Hey

i used to have a mustang, it was fantastic, played well, sounded awesome, just everything was fantastic about it until some {censored}er stole it at a gig last june and its never been seen since

never played a jag so cant comment on those but i loved my mustang

• Members

i've always wondered how the trem is on the Mustang, is it deep like a Strat, shallow like a Jazz or somewhere in between?

how do you mean 'deep'? ... it feels nothing like a strat trem, I find it a similar feel to a bigsby or something like that.

• Members

Hey

i used to have a mustang, it was fantastic, played well, sounded awesome, just everything was fantastic about it until some {censored}er stole it at a gig last june and its never been seen since

never played a jag so cant comment on those but i loved my mustang

Dude.

My Daphne Blue 1965 Mustang was stolen from me.

Two years later my Dakota Red 1965 Mustang was stolen from me.

The blue one was my favorite/the nicest guitar I 've ever played or owned.

It still hurts sometimes.

• Members

Jags have a snarl that just cant be matched. It's like a tele on crack. The last album I recorded, we used a humbucker equipped tele and a 69' sg special for the dirt sounds, but it just wasn't quiiite there for me. The engineer pulled out this jag with a 68' jag bridge pickup in it and we layered it over all of the distorted tracks. It really made everything punch after that. I've wanted a jag ever since.

I like jazzmaster neck pickups better, though. Such character. Too bad they don't make a jagmaster with a jag bridge and jazz neck. I'd buy one immediately.

The mustang has never been anything special to me. Jangly nails.

• Members

Yeah, me too.
:)

BTW, I fixed your youtube video for you - you only need to enter the characters after the first = sign in the link. Hit the edit button on your post to see what I mean.
:wave:

thanks phil! :thu:

I was trying to post the link on the ol' iphone in a gap in a wedding shoot Its easier said that done! :facepalm:

Archived