Fender Jaguar VS. Fender Mustang - which do you like better?

forprescription

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i had an original 64 and it sounded like absolute {censored}. i didnt want to mod it so i sold it. i've never really liked jaguars too much. i like jazzmasters better. however i loved the feel of the vintage A neck on the mustang. i want to part one together someday

• Members

^thats a bit odd because i love my 64 to bits and pieces!

I prefer jags. I haven't found a mustang yet that suits me. The bodies seem too small for my liking and I can't get along with the switches being on the top right where I strum.

I have two jags, the '64 that I keep at home and record with, and a Jaguar Special (HH) which I gig with several times a week. The HH has Duncan '59s in it and it sounds great. I really prefer the jaguars trem but I don't use it live so the Special is perfect.

I agree with what Leo Fender had in mind when he designed the Jaguar - he was looking to replace the stratocaster and telecaster and in my mind mission accomplished!

• Members

Jag = indie cred

Mustang = super indie cred because everyone else plays Jags and JMs so you're out indying the majority of the indiez

Personally, JMs have played and sounded the best in my experience, but I've yet to play a {censored}ty model out of any of the guitars mentioned.

• Members

Only people with more money than sense swap a Mustang bridge for a Mastery.

They sound wildly different (Jags and Mustangs). Here are a couple I have owned/own.

'65 RI Mustang

[YOUTUBE]sRePQ-YL0XE[/YOUTUBE]

CP Jaguar Special

[YOUTUBE]t8IREvup3qI[/YOUTUBE]

Skip to about 3:00 in to avoid the chatter about the JCM800:

[YOUTUBE]Z8bYDGT2TO8[/YOUTUBE]

My '66 Jaguar

[YOUTUBE]in5EzeLEkdM[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Only people with more money than sense swap a Mustang bridge for a Mastery.

...in your opinion. Easily one of the best gear investments I've made was getting a Mastery each for my Jag and JM. The Mustang bridge was a 0% improvement for me. For some, it takes care of any issues, but it did nothing for me.

Love both and own both, but I gotta go Jaguar. I just absolutely love Jag/JM vibrato systems. Easily my favorite vibrato, and the Jag/JM body shape feels more comfortable to me. The pickups on my jag are a bit hotter output and a bit beefier than my Mustang's (both stock) as well. I love the 'stang, but Jag wins every time for me.

• Members

The vibrato on the Mustang is incredibly sensitive..which is cool, but you can get into weirdness really quick if you're just wanting some subtle stuff. As mentioned above, the Jag and JM vibrato setup is likely the best design...both my jag and jm stay in tune incredibly well even with some heavy use and the whammy bar. The Mustangs are really cool and have a unique, thin tone with some options for out of phase sounds and such. But in the overall, day to day usage, the Jag and JM's were designed to be professional level, flagship guitars where the Mustang was a student budget model. Also, the A neck on the Mustang is almost unplayable in the first chord positions if you have normal sized hands...but still, Mustangs and Duos are super cool.

Archived