Fender Jaguar VS. Fender Mustang - which do you like better?

forprescription

• Members

Last night I watched this band play called Warpaint:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

One guitarist had a Mustang and one had a Jaguar. They both used the same amps (hot rod deluxes with external 4x10 open-back cabs) and they both were good players. Plus, these were like, chicks playing these guitars last night. It made me want a Jag (even more). They are wild-sounding. Twangy and weird. Mustangs usually sound a bit scratchy and thin to me.

Right now, I have a Jazzmaster that I'm starting to really dig, but it just doesn't have the character of a Jag.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One guitarist had a Mustang and one had a Jaguar. They both used the same amps (hot rod deluxes with external 4x10 open-back cabs) and they both were good players. Plus, these were like,
chicks
playing these guitars last night. It made me want a Jag (even more). They are wild-sounding. Twangy and weird. Mustangs usually sound a bit scratchy and thin to me.

Right now, I have a Jazzmaster that I'm starting to really dig, but it just doesn't have the character of a Jag.

That was killer! Definitely checking those guys out. A Ric bass just like mine, a Jaguar, and a Musicmaster II. I think I'm in love.

• Members

If only Fender had made a 24" scale, dual pickup version...
:(

I know. most indie cred ever.

but then they would sell for ~$7k.

I *think* a 24" mustang neck would drop in, but then you wouldn't get the cool headstock.

wonder if warmoth does custom crap like that?

My favorite guitar is my Musicmaster that has been modded to Mustang with humbuckers

More similar to a Duo Sonic with humbuckers - the Duo Sonic is a fixed bridge (but different than that one), the Mustang has a tremolo.

BTW, there's another stock / original Musicmaster bridge on Ebay if you wanted to put it on your guitar... IMO, it would look a heck of a lot better with just that one change.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Fender-1970s-Bridge-Duo-Sonic-Musicmaster_W0QQitemZ120531224396QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item1c1038874c

It's actually a bit less expensive than the one I purchased last week. :lol:

• Members

My 1966 Mustang: (I have all the original parts still but i just changed a few things. The white witch hats are NOS 60's)

Mustang4.jpg

My highly upgraded (and raped) CIJ 2005 Jaguar (which is my favorite guitar), the only thing that is CIJ now is the neck and Body, everything else is AVRI/American: (including all the screws which are different that the cheap {censored} fender japan uses)

Photo0045.jpg

And NO my intonation is not way out, its perfect the guitars just aren't tuned in standard! :thu:

• Members

Well, as long as it works for you my man...
:cool:
:phil:

How's the intonation on it? Is there any way to switch pickups?

The intonation is actually pretty bad, it has gotten increasingly worse, though.

So I think it just needs a truss rod adjustment and all the standard stuff.

Well, it's wired in series, actually.

So it's like I have two blend knobs for one HUGE ass pickup.

I really dig the sound it gets.

It sounds huge with both pickups turned all the way up, and when I isolate the bridge pickup I get this cool single coil bridge pickup type sound.

It's a very weird guitar.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

As a n00b keys-player-learning-guitar player, I've heard a billion times how "you have to play them to find the right one" etc. I believe that (it's that way with keyboards for me), it's just to a newbie all guitars feel kind of awkward.

I was in a store manhandling the guitars and picked up a blue fender offset.

That thing just felt fantastic. It was smaller than most, so as a big guy I figured I'd like a bigger guitar. But the weight and balance on this thing was just great, and fit and finish was too.

It was a CIJ blue mustang. Unfortunately out of my price range but it definitely stood out that day from a feel perspective (had to get back to work so I didn't play it, plus why torture myself :D)

Archived