Fender Jaguar VS. Fender Mustang - which do you like better?

forprescription

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really like the body shape of the Mustang. I also like its switching system. I leave the bridge pickup always on, and use the other slider to turn the neck on, neck off, and neck-out-of-phase. And I find that gets me all the sounds I need. My vintage pickups are weak so I use a MOSFET boost with it.

It has been years since i have played a Jaguar and at the time I felt I liked the Jag more, but who knows how I would feel now. One thing going for the Mustang is you can get a vintage US-made Fender for under $1K, which you can't with a Jaguar. Though used MIJ Jags are very affordable.

Here is my Mustang. 1972 Competition Mustang

IMG_3164.jpg

• Members

how so?

Well for starters the distance between the jaguar bridge and tremolo is pretty long which creates its signature jangle sound, the mustang too has a third bridge but the string distance from bridge to vibrato is only about 2 inches where as on the jaguar it is almost 5 inches, this creates a good third bridge harmonic and jangle sound which is the jaguars (and jazzmasters) signature sound, well part of it anyways. Also the body shapes,hence, resonance is totally different as the jaguar uses more wood than the mustang. The jaguar is way brighter than the mustang as it uses 1Meg pots where as the mustang uses 250K pots, this is a minor detail as you can swap either guitars pots for whatever value you like. The mustang has a very small body. Also with adding a high output pickup in the bridge it is one of the gutsiest guitars i've ever played/owned, it has endless sustain at decent volumes played thru a muff or whatever high gain device. And it kicks ass totally for rock,hard rock and believe it or not even brutal death metal riffs. But it also kicks ass for indie riffs and alternate tunings and drones and such too.

Stock, it has a really nice clean snappy sound and when you turn on phase reversal (either pup makes zero difference) it gets honky kinda, a real cool sound IMO.

The jaguar has better switching options but neither jaguar nor mustang are quick switch during a performance guitars as they don't use toggles and slide switches are hard to switch quickly live. Not impossible on the rhythm circuit of the jaguar but on the lead circuit it basically is. This is why I put a toggle on my jaguars lead circuit.

The mustang is a gutsyer guitar IMO, more powerful sounding in a way. the jaguar is just as powerful in another way,not as gutsy but it has more unique style to its sound.

IMO you should try and play both as they are both different but if you like one you could quite possibly like the other as they do share some similarities in sound....I mean there's some crossover.

I prefer my jaguar but I still love my mustang.

Also, contrary to popular myth, both stay in tune even with erratic and excesive vibrato use IF you set them up correctly. Neither goes out of tune EVER for me and I rape the trem/vibrato on both!

Its just inexperienced people who spread this misinformation around as they have never bothered to learn the particulars about their guitars. They are easy to set up and maintain but there is a learning curve to perfecting the sett up of both compared to a strat or tele.

• Members

The jaguar is heavier in weight, and has a brighter sound overall. I didn't like the switches on my mustang because I kept bashing my precious fingers on them, and accidentally turning off the pickups, so I took them out and now use push/pull pots for volume and tone. Volume down is neck pickup on, tone down is bridge pickup on. The thing that makes the mustang tough for me, is I like to rest my palm on the bridge whilst I strum, and on the mustang I have to be careful not to press down on the trem. Hope that helps. Here's my jag. I don't have a pic of my mustang, but it's a 65 that's been stripped and refinished natural, with dimarzion mini-humbuggies in it.

DSC_1734.jpg

• Members

I've always thought Mustangs were the sexiest guitars ever. I've always wished they'd redesign the hardware though...

thicker body

24.75 (or whatever Gibson scale is) neck

tone rollers in place of switches

a PU switch

redesigned tremolo

regular w/b/w PG

two humbuckers, black with chrome covers

Would be pure, unadulterated win.

Archived