Your teles or tele equivalents. Show me them.

amarr1

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Eighteen months since I got mine and, apart from the tone pot crapping out, I've got no complaints.

I was going to replace the pots anyway so it's not such a big deal.

Thanks, they do look good.. I could give the 50s a try because white blonde finish is just beautiful.

• Members

what are your guys's opinion on the vintage bridges (with the 'walls') vs the modern open bridge pieces?

is there another reason to have it lipped other than to have it link up with the ashtray? i remember trying a '52RI out and finding the vintage bridge a little uncomfortable. I assume that the tonal difference lies in the saddles more than the bridge, right?

• Members

what are your guys's opinion on the vintage bridges (with the 'walls') vs the modern open bridge pieces?

is there another reason to have it lipped other than to have it link up with the ashtray? i remember trying a '52RI out and finding the vintage bridge a little uncomfortable. I assume that the tonal difference lies in the saddles more than the bridge, right?

Well, with the vintage bridges the bridge itself is also a little shorter. The "wall-free" modern bridge is longer and has the saddles pulled back a bit more. Easier to intonate yes, but like most I prefer the thick brass saddles of the vintage.

I actually really dig the walls, as well! It takes some getting used to I suppose, but the lip of the bridge sits nicely with the strings and just kind of makes for one big unit. Comfy for playing and palm muting, IMO.

• Members

Well, with the vintage bridges the bridge itself is also a little shorter. The "wall-free" modern bridge is longer and has the saddles pulled back a bit more. Easier to intonate yes, but like most I prefer the thick brass saddles of the vintage.

I actually really dig the walls, as well! It takes some getting used to I suppose, but the lip of the bridge sits nicely with the strings and just kind of makes for one big unit. Comfy for playing and palm muting, IMO.

o i c.

did not know that modern bridges were longer. interesting...

thx!

Saddles definitely make a big difference, and I tend to prefer the added mass of three (compensated) saddle rigs. I also like the sound of brass. Aluminum and steel each has their own sound and admirers too.

The bridge pan / plate also has an effect on the sound of the bridge pickup too. I am a bit of a traditionalist and 'grew up' with the original design, so it doesn't really bother me. Then again, I also appreciate the design of the American Standard bridge too, which doesn't have the "sides." In general, I prefer "through body" stringing on a Telecaster as opposed to "top loaders", but I adore the toploading bridge on the Duo Sonic II. Go figure. :lol:

There really isn't any "reason" for the pan design of the original except for the rear mounting of the saddles and for the ashtray mounting to the sides. You could leave the back and do away with the sides, or trim back the sides a bit. I've seen that done to stock Fender bridges, and as third-party replacement bridges with that sort of basic design. For example, this Callahan has the pan's treble "side" trimmed back a bit:

t_brdgvv.jpg

They also make the newer plate type:

t_abrdg6b.jpg

Source

There's been a few different bridge and plate designs used over the years. In the first one above (similar to the vintage design) notice the location and number (4) of mounting screw holes... and then compare that to the newer bridge design. You could replace a stock vintage style Tele bridge with the former, but not the later.

• Members

jazzcasterbed.jpg

both get lots of hate, lol

Oh, but there's so much awesomeness going on all over the place. Granted, if you close your eyes the concept sounds better on paper: Jazzmaster body, big headstock '70s maple neck, Jazzmaster front p'up, B5 plate and Tele rear p'up, Jazzmaster tremolo, AND independent tone/volume controls. Why the heck don't I remember ever seeing this thing over on shortscale.org?

So...

Are the CV teles just as good as the MIM ones?

I have never tried them side by side with "comparison" in mind, but I was very impressed with a Squier CV Tele I tried at NAMM last January - the 62 RI styled one with the binding? It is a NICE guitar! If it came in something other than sunburst, I would have been all over it by now. Played great. As with a lot of the lower end stuff, some people will want to replace pickups and other things here or there (switches and pots are commonly replaced too), and you may feel the need to do the same things to a greater or lesser (probably lesser) extent with the MIM Fenders - which are also generally very good and solid guitars IMO. The basic platform is definitely there with the CV stuff I've played. Try before you buy of course (or get it from a place with a good return policy) but I think you'd be impressed with how good those CV Squier Teles are for the dosh. I know I was.

• Members
Wow...
:love:

I assume that's a Parsons-White B Bender in there - how do you like it? Does it stay in tune well for you? Any decrease in sustain on the B string?

Thanks Phil :)

Yeah it's a PW bender (made by Bill Bores). it works great, very smooth and quiet and also light weight.
The tuning stability of this guitar is unbelievable! and that includes the B string.
The sustain is pretty even on all strings, never noticed any decrease on the B string.

Archived