How many of you guise have a heart for the Lord?

Loobs

• Members

I'm not sure how I feel about the "don't take everything literally" view of the Bible because usually that kind of opinion is prone to breeding really simplistic summaries on the Bible such as, "oh well it says not to kill people!" The New Testament's message is much more complicated than that. Like I've said before: not killing your neighbor doesn't really make you a good Jew.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, thats basically what I mean.

I don't need a book to tell me how to not be a prick. That's being a basic human being. And most of the religious people i've encountered throughout my life had perversions within their morality. Like hatred of gays. There is no reason for it. God gives an excuse for hatred of a chosen group, thats {censored}ing evil in my eyes.

not all christians hate gay people. In America I can see how it could be common. With the "bible-belts" and so on. "hating" a person because of their sexuality is a perversion from the bible, because it tells us to love everyone. Sure, it also says the perfect unity is between man and women, but there should be no hate towards them.

This thread has really kept changing onto different topics, eh. I guess you could say it's evolving...:cop:

• Members

I'm not sure how I feel about the "don't take everything literally" view of the Bible because usually that kind of opinion is prone to breeding really simplistic summaries on the Bible such as, "oh well it says not to kill people!" The New Testament's message is much more complicated than that. Like I've said before: not killing your neighbor doesn't really make you a good Jew.

I understand that point of view. I personally believe that some parts of the bible are to be taken literally and some as allegory. it is overwhelmingly clear that the creation story, for example, is a poem.

• Members

LOL - c'mon guys, religion is as big of a scam as Santa Claus is. But just like kids who know there is no Santa Claus, many religious people go along with the scam even though they know down deep that religious doctrines are simply manmade tools used to manipulate and control followers. One day you will wake up to the scam just like the little kid who learned there is no Santa Claus.

:facepalm:

• Members
fwiw, I'm also completely for gay marriage. I feel that a large majority of christians have misinterpreted the bible when it comes to homosexuality.

but anyway.

Your attitude towards gays is very civil and tolerant, and I commend you for that... but you're wrong about the Bible. It specifically says in the Bible that gays are an abomination to God and they should be taken to the edge of the city and murdered with stones. If you need chapter and verse I can get them for you.

As far as the excuse that "God changed after Jesus died for our sins", I would say that is not what the Bible says. It says that "God is the same yesterday, today, and forever." He commanded his followers to murder gays in the OT, and he hasn't changed - he is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

:thu:

• Members

Your attitude towards gays is very civil and tolerant, and I commend you for that... but you're wrong about the Bible. It specifically says in the Bible that gays are an abomination to God and they should be taken to the edge of the sity and murdered with stones. If you need chapter and verse I can get them for you.

if you are referring to leviticus, then you should also note that a few verses below it it speaks against shaving one's head. it also talks about how women should always wear gold jewelry, something like that.

• Members

if you are referring to leviticus, then you should also note that a few verses below it it speaks against shaving one's head. it also talks about how women should always wear gold jewelry, something like that.

which is one of my problems with religion in general. its all pick and choose. If the bible is infallible, you follow ALL of it, lest you be a heathen.

• Members

So why aren't you obeying those commands? Jesus didn't come to take away the law. If you want to obey God, you'd better get out there and start stoning some gays. Otherwise you will be tossed into the burning brimstone to be tormented for eternity by your loving and compassionate God of the Bible.

• Members
which is one of my problems with religion in general. its all pick and choose. If the bible is infallible, you follow ALL of it, lest you be a heathen.

Exactly dude, you nailed it. At least Al Qaeda is actually obeying all of their holy book, which includes the same commands to kill infidels, gays, non-virgin brides, rebellious sons, etc., that the Bible has. These lazy USA Bible followers are slacking compared to the extremist Muslims!

• Members

Shut up, man. Seriously if all you're going to do is present that internet pan fried bull{censored} you might as well just get it all out now so I can continue to ignore it.

You make this debate impossible.

• Members
Shut up, man. Seriously if all you're going to do is present that internet pan fried bull{censored} you might as well just get it all out now so I can continue to ignore it.

LOL!!! There's nothing like religion to bring out the bigotry in people.

:lol::facepalm:

• Members

Seriously... Fred Phelps of GodHatesFags.com is one of the few real Bible followers in the USA. He obeys what the Bible says about gays. I don't agree with Fred Phelps or what the Bible says about gays, but if you really want to obey the Bible you should be following Fred Phelps' example.

• Members

Except I am not religious at all. But from everything that you've posted, you're not really interested in having a discussion, but just posting ignorant nothingness about how IF YOU DON'T STONE GAYS YOU ARE GOING TO HELL. I'm sorry, but you are wrong.

And Fred Phelps is as much pick-and-choose as anyone. Phelps is a psychopath who uses the scripture to advance his own hatred. The "God Hates Fags" banner is a veil for Phelps' own homophobia. You can go completely tit for tat with Phelps on quoting the scripture on that {censored}. Please don't bring him into this because it does nothing but sully the discussion.

Question: how much of the Bible have you read?

• Members

the bible isn't infallible. the genealogies, how many angels were at jesus' tomb in the gospels, etc. they differ. good. they were written by different people at different times with different perspectives. the only stories that don't have any contradictions are myths.

As for obeying certain portions of the bible, etc. immediately I think 'well, it doesn't line up with Jesus' commandments of love God, love your neighbor, and love your enemy'. I'm sure there is more reason to it than that, though, having to do with context/who it was written to/the time period/etc.

upon further (very quick and effortless) research, here is a quote from a gay christian (but wait, you might say, thats not possible!),

"Leviticus is a holiness code written 3,000 years ago. This code includes many of the outdated sexual laws we mentioned earlier, and a lot more. It also includes prohibitions against round haircuts, tattoos, working on the Sabbath, wearing garments of mixed fabrics, eating pork or shellfish, getting your fortune told, and even playing with the skin of a pig. (There goes football!)

So what's a holiness code? It's a list of behaviors that people of faith find offensive in a certain place and time. In this case, the code was written for priests only, and its primary intent was to set the priests of Israel over and against priests of other cultures."

• Members

I agree with you. VanHalen is technically correct, but I'd rather have a legitimate discussion. It's easy to google christian hypocrisy and get his points.

• Members
LOL - c'mon guys, religion is as big of a scam as Santa Claus is. But just like kids who know there is no Santa Claus, many religious people go along with the scam even though they know down deep that religious doctrines are simply manmade tools used to manipulate and control followers. One day you will wake up to the scam just like the little kid who learned there is no Santa Claus.

I'm an atheist... all i can say is that your little rant will not have your desired effect on your target audience...

It will certainly play in to their (delusional) feeling of christian persecution.

Your not really adding anything here.

• Members
hahah I love that so many people here dont believe in god. I feel so at home
:love:

lol, funny... I'm always shocked at how many people do! :)

it honestly blew my mind the first time I read a thread like this on here, I thought I had logged in to a cardigan knitting forum by mistake.

• Members

upon further (very quick and effortless) research, here is a quote from a gay christian (but wait, you might say, thats not possible!),

"Leviticus is a holiness code written 3,000 years ago. This code includes many of the outdated sexual laws we mentioned earlier, and a lot more. It also includes prohibitions against round haircuts, tattoos, working on the Sabbath, wearing garments of mixed fabrics, eating pork or shellfish, getting your fortune told, and even playing with the skin of a pig. (There goes football!)

So what's a holiness code? It's a list of behaviors that people of faith find offensive in a certain place and time. In this case, the code was written for priests only, and its primary intent was to set the priests of Israel over and against priests of other cultures."

Except there are also New Testament verses that condemn homosexuality too. :facepalm:

• Members
Welcome to america.

Indeed, I've stopped worrying about it now though. I just accept that your culture, while very similar in some respects, is very different in others. People talking about guns is weirder to be honest, do you remember that knife thread and all the Brits were freaking out going wtf! ... and the Americans are all 'why the {censored} are you freaking out?' :lol: ..... funny.

Archived